2017 Les Paul Missing "2017 Model" from Back of Headstock

gball

Reaction score
All limited run/dealer specific guitars omit the year on the back of the headstock, you can confirm this by looking at any limited run guitars from multiple dealers, I thought this was well known by now to be honest.

Also my guess is OPs guitar might be part of a limited run, hence the lack of year.

I personally own three recent limited run/dealer specific guitars and two of them have the model year stamp, so no, it's not well-known. At a minimum they are inconsistent with the application but that doesn't make them suspect.

Vash854

Reaction score
I personally own three recent limited run/dealer specific guitars and two of them have the model year stamp, so no, it's not well-known. At a minimum they are inconsistent with the application but that doesn't make them suspect.

Sorry I made a mistake that was corrected in another post, it seems limited run guitars do tend to have the year stamp, but dealer specific runs do not, so even though dealer specific guitars can be limited run ones, not all limited run guitars are actually dealer specific, so it can be a bit confusing.
All the sweetwater exclusive and zzounds/american-musical exclusive Gibsons I looked at have lacked the year stamps, so I made a wrong conclusion out of it.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
How normal it is for a 2016 model to be made in 2017? Is it something that happens regularly or this is a weird case?

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
Good grief, those tuners. Is installing them straight that difficult?

Scream And Fly

Reaction score
I've purchased 4 new Gibsons in the last year and a half and I would put the quality up against anything out there.

They have not been consistent with the model year imprint but that is not a quality issue. Here's a random Les Paul Traditional off the Sweetwater site. Same font, no model year.
170057006-serial-large.jpg.auto.webp

I've purchased many Gibson guitars, all new, and I've seen the quality range from very good, to very poor. My Explorer Tremolo model, purchased new a few years back as a limited run model, is an example of terrible quality. And if I post photos of what I mean, many people won't believe that Gibson allowed that to be passed through quality checks.

Old timer

Reaction score
This is not the the first Gibson I've seen with out the year stamped. You have the ax how's it sound and play that's the best answer.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I've purchased many Gibson guitars, all new, and I've seen the quality range from very good, to very poor. My Explorer Tremolo model, purchased new a few years back as a limited run model, is an example of terrible quality. And if I post photos of what I mean, many people won't believe that Gibson allowed that to be passed through quality checks.

and you kept it why?

Latest Threads