2017 Les Paul Missing "2017 Model" from Back of Headstock

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I contact them, as you suggested. I have several SG Voodoos, and the position of the headstock logo (you said it's too low) is exactly the same as on those. The nut looks exactly the same. In fact, everything about this guitar -- the swamp ash body with very prominent woodgrain, maple neck, richlite fretboard, bridge, pickups, pots and wiring, knobs and switches, etc., looks correct. To me, anyway. It's just that funny serial number style/font that makes me wonder what's going on.

But I discovered Gibson isn't consistent with anything. I have several Les Paul BFGs. Two of them say "Made in USA" (no periods) on the headstock, and two of them say "Made in U.S.A." (WITH periods).

You said the headstock looks "wrong" but I'm compared it, with those BFGs (measuring every possible dimension) and they match. I don't know what to make of it, but maybe I need to stop obsessing about it.
That is why I would not say it is a counterfeit. Everything else looked legit. I was comparing what looked off to what was on the Gibson website and others for sale for these guitars. The logo does look higher on the others I have seen and the serial number font is different. Maybe it's the angle of the different pics. What did Gibson say about the font difference?

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought (and can be wrong) that the model date was a indicator of spec changes, for instance at the end of the production year of 2012 Gibson stamped Model 2013 on 2012 standards to indicate model spec changes.
If they stamped Model 2016 on the 2016 Voodoo that spec may have carried over to the 2017 production run so there would be no Model 2017 indication, it would still have the same specs as 2016. There would be no reason to indicate otherwise.
That is just my opinion on that, i think Gibson should have an explanation though.

trapdoorspider

Reaction score
I know I'm probably making a big deal about nothing. But I contacted Gibson Customer Support (by email, so I could include photos), and will wait for their answer.
This guitar has a maple neck; maybe the harder wood requires a different type of stamp?
But, aside from the different style of the numbers, what I really want to know is: why is this supposedly "Made in USA" guitar not stamped, like all my others, "MADE IN USA"?

tzd

Reaction score
I know I'm probably making a big deal about nothing. But I contacted Gibson Customer Support (by email, so I could include photos), and will wait for their answer.
This guitar has a maple neck; maybe the harder wood requires a different type of stamp?
But, aside from the different style of the numbers, what I really want to know is: why is this supposedly "Made in USA" guitar not stamped, like all my others, "MADE IN USA"?

It does say MADE IN USA, no?

gball

Reaction score
It does say MADE IN USA, no?

Yeah, I do see a MADE IN USA on the back of the headstock. It's just missing the model year silliness, which seems to be on the outs and should be counted as a good thing. There is nothing about the guitar that should concern you (at least from those pics).

bwillard

Reaction score
That font looks like the same one they used on my M2 guitars.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
The Open Book contour looks weird, also a misaligned machine-head on a Gibson?
Could it Be a refurb of some sorts? The rest looks ok.

DimiPana

Reaction score
I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Voodoo, and everything about it looks legit. The pots and pickups clearly say Gibson, the printed circuitboard says Gibson, and it came with the warranty papers and Gibson inspection card.

But I noticed there is no "2017" or "2017 Model" stamped into the back of the headstock like most of my other Gibsons. Below the serial number (17001----) it says "MADE IN USA" but that's it.

Did Gibson stop stamping the year on the back of headstocks in 2017, or is there something fishy about my "new" Gibson?

The other question: I thought Gibson only made the Les Paul Voodoo in 2016. So what's this one doing with a 2017 serial number anyway?

View attachment 254077

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is either a counterfeit guitar or made by a novice apprentice on a day that QC had the day off. Everywhere I look in these pictures, I see problems. Do us a favor and let us know where did you get this and especially how much you paid for a ..."deal" like that. Seeing this, all I can say it's a sad day for guitar making and especially for a once highly esteemed company like Gibson.

bluesondoor

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's fake fake fake but... it doesn't seem like it's all top notch, either. So much of it just screams B stock or "not Gibson".

This would be a low yield fake given the prices these go for. If it helps, there are other new guitars on here without 2017 model stamped on them. Good luck!

DrSte31n

Reaction score
Probably doesn't help much, but I have a 2017 Firebird that does say 2017 Model. My guess is that Gibson is just not consistent.

rpark

Reaction score
I personally had no issue with the year being put on there. It'll be nice in 20 years not to have to do so much guessing about it, but to each his own. It's not in view, so it never ruffled my feathers.

Gibson support is pretty good about getting the guitar confirmed, at least to the point of saying the serial number should be a certain model with a certain finish.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It`s funny, eventhough so many things look wrong, I am tempted to say it`s not a fake.

I would definatly write to gibson (as stated above) and let them run the serial number through their database. It will be interesting to hear what model they sa that serial should be.

tzd

Reaction score
I found another example with the same font and no model year:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPST17HBCH

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 12.02.38 PM.png

tzd

Reaction score
So, my theory is that the MODEL year imprint is used for their normal range of guitars that persist over the years, but have spec changes over the years. Such as the normal Studio, Standard, Tribute etc.

For models that are Exclusive/Limited Runs, etc that do not persist over multiple years, such as the Voodoo JuJu and the above Sweetwater Exclusive model, there is no necessity to stamp a MODEL year.

Of course there are still inconsistencies on when they do or do not do it, given it's a Gibson after all.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
The other thing that troubles me, is that the serial says 2017, Voodoo was limited run of the year 2016, it would make more sense if it was made late 2015.

@ tzd
My Les Paul is a limited run, yet it does have the year stamp.

Last edited:

drkato

Reaction score
The new scheme is not "YYDDDBxxx".

The first two numbers represent the year... all of the rest of the numbers are the sequential production number. There is no specific date (Julian or otherwise) imbedded in the serial numbering system anymore. Just a year and seuquential production number.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Latest Threads