2017 Gibson les paul traditional, 1mm treble side one turn left in wheel?

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Hi guys in happy to be part of this forum,AMD finally have another les paul again.the guitar is a 2017 new left over Gibson les paul traditional in antique burst.The guitar came from the store with the action set very low AMD it plays great...I have .10 relief at the 9th fret.Now on the treble side of the ABR-1 bridge I found that the adjustment wheel is pretty much all the way down,and I many have one more turn left,and the string hieght is 1mm at the 17th fret measuring from the top of the fret to the bottom of the high E....is this ok?? Or is there something wrong?

Attachments

kakerlak

Reaction score
Have you tried seeing how much adjustment room you've actually got (thread it in until it bottoms out)? It looks like you've got a fair bit of range left to me, particularly considering how high the tailpiece seems to be adjusted (You can usually adjust the TP all the way down w/o any string break issues on a LP where the bridge is almost bottomed out).

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Yes sir I just did, I loosened the strings and dropped the treble side all the way down and at the 17th fret I got just about under 1mm from the top of the 17th fret to the bottom of the high E...I read however that you should be able to bring those adjustment wheels down so far that the strings hit the fret board....I don't think I can accomplish that.....also I was talking about the bridge ....see how low the ABR bridge is and see how low the wheel is? How would the tail piece allow for the strings to drop?

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks like the treble bushing is higher than it should be. Your tailpiece is set up a bit and still has a pretty steep break angle. Maybe some better pictures would help. Your bridge stud should be flush with the top, or at least the lip of the stud should be sitting on the top.

Regards Peter.

dickjonesify

Reaction score
I agree with @pshupe
That bushing doesn’t look pushed in all the way. It should be fluuuuush to the body.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Well the bushings stick up on this guitar....I see what your saying that there is a tiny gap...but its a tiny gap...even if I leveled it completely in still not going to attain alto more travel from the wheel...I guess these guitars use the Nashville lower assembly and an ABR-1 upper bridge...where usually there would just be a threaded rod with no bushing....that way I would have been able to drop the bridge all the way down...in sure you guys know this in just explaining everything I know

WezV

Reaction score
how low do you need your action to be? Do you need to go below 1mm @ 17th?

the "strings on frets at lowest setting" thing is a good rule of thumb, but it doesn't mean the guitar is faulty if you can't do that. To me 1mm @The 17th lowest possible action is more than reasonable for a les paul. I normally want to achieve 1.2-1.4mm at the 12th. i rarely measure at the 17th.

Gibson neck angles can vary a bit, I would rather have it this way round than the bridge too high.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Oh no it’s not that I’m wanting to go rediculosly low...it’s just that I want to make sure everything is ok.Before I got my les Paul I saw some videos .One in perticuler,the guy bought a new les Paul custom,and his action was way too high he said and he was out of adjustment.I then saw that I barely had any adjustment and got nervous....($2600 guitar.

I just learned also that the 2017 les Paul traditional has a 5 degree neck angle witch Dan Deleon says is steep for a les Paul? But this one is copying a vintage model...so this one is ok? Sorry to sound like a noob but I’m here for help, and to be part of this forum.i have many Fender strays,and missed my old Studio so I bought this and have a 2017 Gibson les Paul classic coming next tuesday

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s still strange looking that the tailpiece and break angle are high and you say you can’t lower bridge. Take a few mor pics from the side. If the bridge was all the way down the tailpiece should be on the deck as well and a slight break angle would be expected.

Cheers Peter.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Does it look to anybody else like the bottom of the bridge isn't fully seated on its adjust wheels? @Rogueaverage616, does this really have an ABR-1 top sitting on Nashville studs? That's not a normal setup, though, by enlarging the holes in an ABR-1, you can do it. Is it possible that opening them up a hair more would let them sit farther down?

Agree that more pics -- a good side-on one, especially, would be nice.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Yes normally the ABR-1 has just threaded rod threaded into the body of the guitar,and the Nashville bridge has the inserts...however this is how Gibson designed this guitar.Also how would lowering the tail lower the strings when the bridge is next in line?

Attachments

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yes normally the ABR-1 has just threaded rod threaded into the body of the guitar,and the Nashville bridge has the inserts...however this is how Gibson designed this guitar.Also how would lowering the tail lower the strings when the bridge is next in line?
Tailpiece height has zero effect on string height, I was just eyeing it as a reference in consideration that LPs with bottomed-out bridges usually can be adjusted with the TP all the way down w/o running into strings creasing across the backside of the bridge. I wasn't aware that Gibson had gone to an ABR-1 style on '17 Trads. Looks like yours has a wired ARB-1 top on Nashville studs.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
Yes it does,..now if they just went ahead and used the bottom that went with the ant bridge..I would have been able to drop her down to Zero lol..not that I want too.i just wanted to make sure that the guitar was ok.

Also does this look like some stain got on the binding? Or was the binding possibly cut too high up here?

Attachments

moreles

Reaction score
In the last photo it looks like the inner base of the bridge, not the area through which the screw hole runs, is sitting on the wheel, creating a big gap. If so, it's either the wrong bridge or wrong wheel or some defect. If there really is a gap where the arrow indicates, that is terrible for tone and for stable tuning, and explains why the thumbwheel has to be all the way down (and the TP so high) to get decent action. If this is the case, it's not right and needs sone fixing, not just adjusting.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think Nashville wheels might have a raised center section, so it might be fully seated -- it's just unusual to see the juxtaposition of ABR w/ NSH. Still, if it adjusts to your ideal action, then it's okay. Absolute worst case scenario, if you want it lower and can't get there, there's a fairr bit of room to gain in converting to a bushing-less ABR-1 with thin thumbwheels. Actual height of the top of the bridge to the wooden face of the guitar looks pretty healthy.

Rogueaverage616

Reaction score
I’m sorry I figured everyone here ,knew Gibson’s. As kakerlak said...there is a nub sticking up in the center of the thumb screw...so its a thumb screw wheel with a 1.5mm hump on top so it looks like there is a gap between the thumb wheel and the bridge but the bridge is in fact sitting flat on the wheel....is this some type of a new design? Or ?

I’m sorry guys I think all I did was confuse the heck out of everyone...I’m looking at loads more of these same guitars right now and they all look the same as mine.Seamingly plenty of travel left on the bass side but the thumb screw just about kissing the body on the treble side

Last edited:

Latest Threads