2017 Classic GT w/Bigsby, advice needed *FINISH QUESTION*

TheWilly17

Reaction score
I have always wanted a Goldtop, the Bigsby is just an added bonus. How do these 2017 Classic's stand up against the Trad's or Standard's?
I was offered the GT as a straight up trade for a 2017 Taylor 414-CE-R, I believe cash value the Taylor is probably worth more, but the GT really intrigues me.

steveb63

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Classic Plus in HCSB, and I love it.

It's rare ( never) that I hang on to a Gibby, Just never really bond. I've had L.P.s, SGs, Flying Vs etc.... I've tried.

I bought the Classic a little more than a year ago, still in the honeymoon! I love it -finally.

Great qc, quality materials , beautiful, gorgeous looking and sounding . Thick, dark Rosewood f.b., slimmer, but not skinny neck profile. No finish issues .

And loving the 57 Classic p/ ups.

If you have anything specific you need to know, hit me up, I might be of help since this has been the only git I've reached for the past year!

Peace
Steve

TheWilly17

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Classic Plus in HCSB, and I love it.

It's rare ( never) that I hang on to a Gibby, Just never really bond. I've had L.P.s, SGs, Flying Vs etc.... I've tried.

I bought the Classic a little more than a year ago, still in the honeymoon! I love it -finally.

Great qc, quality materials , beautiful, gorgeous looking and sounding . Thick, dark Rosewood f.b., slimmer, but not skinny neck profile. No finish issues .

And loving the 57 Classic p/ ups.

If you have anything specific you need to know, hit me up, I might be of help since this has been the only git I've reached for the past year!

Peace
Steve
Awesome response! Thanks man!

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Saw one of those at the Ottawa (Orleans) Long & McQuade for $2199 Canadian. That’s $1650 US for our American MLP’ers.

On Reverb, you’ll probably wind up paying that (or more) for a used one. If you sold the Taylor, could you get that kind of money for it?

Here’s a link to the L&M listing showing they have them in stock at several stores. It also shows your Taylor as selling for $3299 Canadian. I’d go to him with that info showing the $1100 difference between the 2 guitars and see what he says.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/93402/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Gibson/2017-Les-Paul-Classic-Zebra-Goldtop-w-Bigsby-Ltd.htm

https://www.long-mcquade.com/71189/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/Taylor-Guitars/Grand-Auditorium-Spruce-Rosewood-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Cutaway---ES2-Electronics.htm

steveb63

Reaction score
Don't forget, they manufactured lots of those Gold Top Classics, lots of them.
Should be a large inventory of nice playing models.

So many, that, imho, there's no need to take such a big hit on the Taylor. There's going to be another right around the corner.

But I'm definitely drinking the Classic kool aid. Rolled f.b., nice weight, locking Grovers!

The Hell with MLP, I'm going to turn on the Marshall.
Peace
Steve
Very cool,,but worth an even trade for the Taylor?

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Ok,, the fellow offered $500 along with the GT,,,now I am seriously considering this deal.
I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Resale value is terrible on Taylor guitars (ask me how I know). If you were REALLY lucky, you might be able to get a little bit north of 2 grand (Canadian) for your guitar. The $500 puts you in decent price territory on the Classic.

Gojo03

Reaction score
I'd take that deal.... I built up a 2017 Classic body and it turned out to be an awesome addition. I turned a Taylor 314ce into a 2013 Traditional a few years ago. Sold the Taylor and picked up the LP for a good deal. Definitely came out better selling first, but still ended up adding cash in the end.

moreles

Reaction score
You worked out a good, fair deal. I'd avoid the hyperbole re: Classics found in many of these posts. Isn't enough to say that it's a really great guitar and that you don't really need anything more? There's nothing unusual or unique about them, and it's not as though they're hard to make, or rare, or anything of the sort. That's what I love about them, really -- that they are indeed iconic, straightforward, and excellent.

steveb63

Reaction score
You worked out a good, fair deal. I'd avoid the hyperbole re: Classics found in many of these posts. Isn't enough to say that it's a really great guitar and that you don't really need anything more? There's nothing unusual or unique about them, and it's not as though they're hard to make, or rare, or anything of the sort. That's what I love about them, really -- that they are indeed iconic, straightforward, and excellent.
Well said. 100%

scozz

Reaction score
Classics are my personal favorite model and it’s not even close...

The neck is perfect for my hands and the I love the old school weight relief....

No guitar on earth compares to a goldtop classic....

And I’d put a bigsby on a cereal bowl :h5:

-Chris
Omg is this getting old Chris or is it me?!......but we love you despite your misguided taste! :D

TheWilly17

Reaction score
Ok the deal was made today. The guitar is extremely nice and sounds amazing. I do however have a question about the finish and warranty.

There are several spots where it looks as thought the clear coat (or whatever it is) is bubbled or blistered. This does not give me any regrets on the deal, but is there actual warranty for this?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
There are several spots where it looks as thought the clear coat (or whatever it is) is bubbled or blistered. This does not give me any regrets on the deal, but is there actual warranty for this?
Nope.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Any instrument that has been altered or modified in any way or upon which the serial number has been tampered with or altered.
  2. Any instrument whose warranty card has been altered or upon which false information has been given.
  3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to misuse, negligence, accident, or improper operation.
  4. The subjective issue of tonal characteristics.
  5. Shipping damages of any kind.
  6. Any instrument that has been subjected to extremes of humidity or temperature
  7. Normal wear and tear (i.e., worn frets, worn machine heads, worn plating, string replacement, scratched pickguards, or damages to or discoloration of the instrument finish for any reason).
  8. Any instrument that has been purchased from an unauthorized dealer, or upon which unauthorized repair or service has been performed.
  9. Any factory installed electronics after a period of one (I) year following the original date of purchase.
  10. Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.
  11. Gibson does not warranty the playability of a instrument whose "action" is lower than the standard "action" as defined in the owners manual.

TheWilly17

Reaction score
UPDATE: Took the guitar in to Long and McQuade (the original place of purchase). They are fixing the finish issues no charge! That is a true testament to the amazing customer service at L&M, they went to bat for me saving me the headache of dealing with Gibson.