2016 vs 2019 Cases?

Reaction score
I want to point out again here - that I am new - so I am learning! I noticed the cases between the 2016 R8 and the 2019 R8 are quite different. What's the difference?! Are they made by the same people but one has a badge and the other doesn't? I can tell you the lighter pink one weighs a lot more and has these odd wedges!~

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2019 case is supposed to "model" the Lifton cases of the late 1950's Its more accurate build shape and appearance.

The wedgies are there for shipping, because when they made cases they were like suitcases ....You could stuff any guitar in them....

as a result there were lots of headstock breaks, so going back to the older Lifton style case presents that problem.

The other cases the guitar fits more snuggly....

This is because the customer wants authenticity ....well he is getting it....

If you look closely at the 2016 case you will see the padding is distributed differently ....there is a pad that closes over the neck and gently squeezes the guitar ...

The newer Lifton case doesn't have any of that protection....its a presentation case ....don't transport with it, or gig with it ...

Put it under the bed until you sell

Get a different case if your going to gig or move it around ....

one more thing....If you sell the case that came with your R- something ....you will loose $$$ if you try and sell without it....

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lifton has only one neck support.

Which makes it suck for protection.

The 2016 case has two neck supports and better padding... better case.

Last edited:

Clint

Reaction score
I much prefer the less accurate ones. Lighter, no need for the foam inserts, better latches and better padding all the way around. It's a good compromise since it looks almost identical from the outside.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one problem with those 2014 - 2018’s is the outer skin, it can’t take a good bump or two, it’s about as strong as kitchen drawer liner... cheap as hell...

If you need a good bang it up case you need a 90’s Gibson case with the pink fur and silk sheet or the 2000 - 2011 black custom cases.

Or a TKL or Anvil ...TKL’s are damn good...

In fact I think the big manufacturers want it that way...

they hate that you “expect” a case .... and a good case???? Lol

mjross

Reaction score
The case I got with my 2020 50’s appear To be pretty sturdy! It’s different than my previous Les Paul cases. Might be worth a look.

Last edited:

Rainbowberry

Reaction score
DCDC0F15-78B1-4FF7-B0DA-A86A68AEC30D.jpeg

I just got a 2019 R7 (I’m sure because of the serial number) off reverb and it came with this case which is more similar to the 2016 with the two neckrests. Did the seller switch up the cases? What do you guys think?

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are, but they are ugly,,.
:run:
View attachment 523565
I just got a 2019 R7 (I’m sure because of the serial number) off reverb and it came with this case which is more similar to the 2016 with the two neckrests. Did the seller switch up the cases? What do you guys think?
It’s certainly possible... this happens in shops too

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my more authentic 2020 case and got the earlier case, as 1: not selling this one, 2, don;t want it damaged when we are eventually able to play outside again, the newer looks do look better though.

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
I think I’m the only one who likes the vintage style cases like the 2018’s

If anyone is selling to put together some cash for a more sturdy and protective case please let me know. Seriously PM me

I do understand everyone’s complaints on the vintage style. Very “floppy” fit...guitar moves around, no neck support, latches suspect.

mine don’t leave the house anymore as I don’t gig anymore so they’re just storage now

JMB1984

Reaction score
The older case also has 5 of the “better” latches. The newer, more accurate case, only has 1 of them and then 5 other latches that’s are not as good IMO.

none2low

Reaction score
^^^ Probably the best case Gibson/TKL ever supplied.

Rainbowberry

Reaction score
Made to Measure - I think 2018 -2020 range
Double neck support and top padding. Case has a little marbling into the texture/color.
Wait, is this a 2018-2020 case you’re showing? Because if it is then it’s the same as the one that came with mine and I don’t have to worry about whether or not my case is actually the one that came with my guitar (see my previous post on this thread) In all the sources I see online the 2019’s have a single neck support, 4 latches, and a lighter pink. If this is a 2019 onwards you’re showing then that’s great news for me!
Always difficult dealing with online transactions and verifying with previous owners hehe

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That’s the case that came with my guitar.

Latest Threads