2016 Traditional

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Yup, gotta love a '16 Trad T... :dude:

... and that Honey Burst looks great! Congratulations!! :applause:

Mine was my first proper Gibbo too -- great guitar! Learned to love the 57/57+ combo. I was surprised how much difference it made to the overall sound when I replaced the stock Zamak tailpiece with a lightweight aluminium one.

I'd largely put that sort of thing down to mojo hoodoo but it was a surprising difference and sounded good enough that it it persuaded me not to bother messing around changing the pups.

Pup preferences and "tone" are such a subjective thing though... Everyone has a different ear and wants a slightly different sound from their guitars!

There are occasions when I'm still tempted to get all the bits and pieces to put together a hand-wired '50s setup and buy some Beastbuckers but that Trad does everything I need it to do just as it is and changing amps seems rot make a much bigger difference than messing with the pups so I guess I'll keep my money and avoid chasing the wind...! :cool2:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those mineral streaks are gorgeous! Congrats, you must be psyched.

Swapping out an overly trebly bridge pickup is a right of passage for countless guitars, in all types of guitars. Enjoy the ride and I hope you end up with something that rocks your world!

heavypic

Reaction score
+1 again for the 57/57+ pups in my stock 2016 Trad T. I was playing it last night through my 2003 BJ with PQ12 speaker. I could get sweet, clean jazzy tones, or turn the guitar tone pots down with a TS808 for a great 'Sunshine of Your Love' vibe. Great classic rock and blues pups! I'll be back at it tonight!!

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Congrats! Those '16 Trads are mighty fine Les Pauls! Great choice!

That is a beauty! My 2016 Traditional (the one in my avatar) looks a lot like it, but with a little less flame. Mine's sort of a hybrid top -- a plametop if you will.

Anyway, mine came with Antiquities and they sounded great but it has the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set in it now and they are just killer. The 57 Classics are solid pickups, but I prefer unpotted. My particular Trad is a hair over 8 pounds, and it sounds amazing with those. My 93 Standard is about a pound heavier and it prefers hotter pickups with more mid push.
I have thought about putting the Pearly Gates in mine - how do you like them in the '16 Trad?

From my '16 Trad in Honeyburst to yours. Cheers!

'16 Trad.JPG

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
Congrats on the sweet new guitar!
I have a 2013 Trad with 57/57+ pickups. I keep them in that guitar to have a lower gain "traditional" sound, but it took me a while to come back to those.
Before I had the '13 Trad (just bought that in late 2020), I tried 57/57+ in my 2002 Custom and it was not a fit. Went to the Suhr Doug Aldrich and couldn't be happier.
I was considering the Saturday Night Specials for my Standard (opted for JB/'59 combo), so I am interested to hear what you think if you put them in the Trad.

David Garner

Reaction score
Congrats! Those '16 Trads are mighty fine Les Pauls! Great choice!

I have thought about putting the Pearly Gates in mine - how do you like them in the '16 Trad?

From my '16 Trad in Honeyburst to yours. Cheers!

View attachment 520487
They're amazing in mine. Mine is pretty light, and it has a more midrangy, loose tone than my 93 Standard. If yours is heavier and/or tighter in tone, they might not work as well, though I like them in my 93 too.

zdoggie

Reaction score
really looks great I own a traditional Ice tea burst I thnk it has ox4's and I love the neck ,there is nothing wrong with the traditional again one of gibson marketing techniques

zdog

Reaction score
Very nice! I've had more Trads than any other LP over the years - I think they're great guitars and I always played them stock, other than flipping the magnet in the neck pup.

Latest Threads