2016 Traditional

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
This is my first full gloss Gibson with binding. This is really the guitar I have wanted since I was 12 years old, and I snagged it this weekend.

I found it on Craigslist. A local seller (very nice guy) had two of the same guitars.... 2016 Traditional. They were bone stock sans new locking tuners he had installed. The original tuners are in the case.

Of the two guitars, I picked the lighter. 9.5 lbs. The other one was 10.3. It had a slightly nicer top. Other than that they played/sounded identical.

I do not like the stock 57 Classic bridge pickup. I messed with the heights of both the whole pickup and pole pieces but I am not a fan. Had them in another guitar years ago and that guitar had the same harshness as this one. I have a DiMarzio Norton bridge pickup sitting in my shopping cart, as well as a Saturday Night Special, JB, and Epiphone Probuckers in my drawer, but I am going to wait awhile to see if the 57 ends up growing on me.

Anyway...

Rds

Reaction score
Really nice. I have a cherry 16 trad and love it. Enjoy yours.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Congratulations. I got myself a 2016 Honeyburst. Even drove to Sweetwater to try it out first. I modded mine like crazy but it is now my number one for gigging. Just magical the way it plays.

brianbzed

Reaction score
This is my first full gloss Gibson with binding. This is really the guitar I have wanted since I was 12 years old, and I snagged it this weekend.

I found it on Craigslist. A local seller (very nice guy) had two of the same guitars.... 2016 Traditional. They were bone stock sans new locking tuners he had installed. The original tuners are in the case.

Of the two guitars, I picked the lighter. 9.5 lbs. The other one was 10.3. It had a slightly nicer top. Other than that they played/sounded identical.

I do not like the stock 57 Classic bridge pickup. I messed with the heights of both the whole pickup and pole pieces but I am not a fan. Had them in another guitar years ago and that guitar had the same harshness as this one. I have a DiMarzio Norton bridge pickup sitting in my shopping cart, as well as a Saturday Night Special, JB, and Epiphone Probuckers in my drawer, but I am going to wait awhile to see if the 57 ends up growing on me.

Anyway...
Bitchin' guitar! looks like an "Un-Burst"!!

Saiko

Reaction score
Traditionals are awesome guitars and that's a great looking guitar, congrats!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Trades rule! Light burst is a great finish.
Might have been called honey burst at the time.
Very nice and have fun!

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Its clearly a honeyburst but the paperwork says Heritage Cherry :rofl:

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyway...
Beautiful guitar! You’re not alone, I really don’t like that bridge pickup, have tried a few things that were better, next is a used set of CS Pearly Gates into my Traditional, fingers crossed..

metalmike222

Reaction score
Gorgeous guitar!
I picked up a Trad Pro V right around the beginning of the year. LOVE it. Very happy with how the pickups in mine sound, but if I remember, the Trad Pros have different pickups that the Trads. Your description reminds me of the 2014 LPJ I have. I picked it up for about $300 a little over a year ago. Plays great and I like it, but I'm not digging the sound. Sounds a bit harsh and high endy for what I like in a Les Paul. Trying to decide on whether I want to start by swapping the pickups, or the tailpiece and bridge first as I've heard that they can have almost as much affect on tone as pickups can.

David Garner

Reaction score
That is a beauty! My 2016 Traditional (the one in my avatar) looks a lot like it, but with a little less flame. Mine's sort of a hybrid top -- a plametop if you will.

Anyway, mine came with Antiquities and they sounded great but it has the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set in it now and they are just killer. The 57 Classics are solid pickups, but I prefer unpotted. My particular Trad is a hair over 8 pounds, and it sounds amazing with those. My 93 Standard is about a pound heavier and it prefers hotter pickups with more mid push.

heavypic

Reaction score
Hey OP - Beautiful guitar...congrats!! I have a 2016 Traditional T as well. I like the 57/57+ Classic P-UPs. Have fun...!

JMP

Reaction score
Traditionals sure are excellent guitars, especially on the used market. I have a 2016 Trad like yours and I’m also super happy to own it.

OP, congratulations and enjoy!

endial

Reaction score
Some killer "Bee's Wing" you got on that A MAY ZING top! Mineral streaks to boot!

I can't imagine the other top being better than this unique beauty.

Keep us informed how you deal with the 57 Classic bridge pup. I'm just now/very recently coming around with mine in my Custom. Was on the fence for a lonnng time.

Latest Threads