patrick2099

Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T - Worn Brown
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T - Worn Brown | Sweetwater.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2016 T - Wine Red with Chrome Hardware
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2016 T - Wine Red with Chrome Hardware | Sweetwater.com

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus - Black Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus - Black Cherry | Sweetwater.com

I have been looking at these three guitars, but unfortunately cannot try them locally. The guitar I currently play the most is an Epiphone Standard Plus Top with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. After replacing the pickups and getting a professional setup, I like the guitar, but am looking to add one more to the family.

I typically play 70s, 80s, and 90s rock -- a little metal, but I have other guitars for that. I like all three finishes, and it looks like the major difference is the pickups. Any of you guys try two or three of those, and have any opinions? Thanks.

Zentar

Reaction score
Why is Gibby taking that gorgeous wine red Studio LP and stuffing the "Dreaded Pair" into it? You're gonna have to replace those sorry pickups.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming price isn't a factor?

It really comes down to finish feel and neck profile. All 3 pickups will get you to 70s, 80s, and 90s rock, to different degrees and flavors.

If you want a little thicker neck, then the Faded is your choice. It has the 59 neck.

If that doesn't matter, or you don't, then it comes down to bling preference.

Had a faded. Fine guitar. However, the finish is rougher, thinner and will wear faster. Also can feel the grain everywhere but the top. Neck is almost smooth feeling, but can feel the grain just a little. Only you can say how that works for you. They also hit used fairly often, and will depreciate immediately (in my experience, ymmv) to 60-70% of new, and hold that depreciated value. I'd ONLY buy new from some place like Sweetwater, as the top stain can very a lot on these. Some look nice like your OP link, others can be blotchy looking.

The Studio and Trib Plus, imho come down to how much you like some bling, and finish feel preference. GLoss Nitro feels different than gloss poly. IMHO, I like them both for different reasons. But, they do feel different.

I think the Studio, at that price is, well, too much imho. I'm not that eenamored with the 490/498 pair. Both those and the Burstbucker Pros are a little more Mid focused than the 57 Classics in the Epi Tribute.

Personally, I prefer the 57 Classics, then the BB Pros, then the 490/498s.

The Trib plus is by far the best bang for the buck of all three, case, long tenon, 57 classics. But, it is an EPI (doesn't bother me), and poly finish.

rjshare

Reaction score
not the epiphone. (its a fvckin Gibson forum, what else do you expect me to say?)

of the other two, the gloss looks better, costs more, will last longer and be worth more when you sell it.

I prefer the feel of the faded necks over the gloss ones, but what has that got to do with anything - I assume that you aren't buying it for me...

cider

Reaction score
I'd recommend the 2015 Studio for the nice '57 pickups. If you don't like the wider neck (I love mine) GC should still have some of the SR models - small neck and no G-Force :D

tzd

Reaction score
I think the 2016 Studio Faded T's are great value at $800, it will make a great working-man guitar.

The Burstbucker Pros' tone leans towards classic rock with an edgier high end. Sounds great through a Marshall amp.

Kungphugrip

Reaction score
the faded with BB pros will imo sound better than the studio with 490/498
and the epi with 57s

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T - Worn Brown
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T - Worn Brown | Sweetwater.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2016 T - Wine Red with Chrome Hardware
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2016 T - Wine Red with Chrome Hardware | Sweetwater.com

Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus - Black Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus - Black Cherry | Sweetwater.com

I have been looking at these three guitars, but unfortunately cannot try them locally. The guitar I currently play the most is an Epiphone Standard Plus Top with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. After replacing the pickups and getting a professional setup, I like the guitar, but am looking to add one more to the family.

I typically play 70s, 80s, and 90s rock -- a little metal, but I have other guitars for that. I like all three finishes, and it looks like the major difference is the pickups. Any of you guys try two or three of those, and have any opinions? Thanks.

For 1500 you can easily go into the members classified and purchase a used Les Paul Traditional. I love my traditional

patrick2099

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm really not looking to purchase a used one online. That is just too much money, to me, to potentially get ripped off. If I order from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend, at least I know that I can return a messed up guitar without getting reamed on the shipping. I know that my best bet is to really make a few trips and play some in person -- especially with the different necks. I just wish I lived closer to some Gibson or Epiphone dealers.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm really not looking to purchase a used one online. That is just too much money, to me, to potentially get ripped off. If I order from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend, at least I know that I can return a messed up guitar without getting reamed on the shipping. I know that my best bet is to really make a few trips and play some in person -- especially with the different necks. I just wish I lived closer to some Gibson or Epiphone dealers.

I doubt you will gel ripped off on our forum. Anyways, I bought two new Gibsons a few years ago, and this last one I bought used, a great built guitar is easy to get just right with a proper setup and lots of love.

MoPaul

Reaction score
All 3 are nice guitars, but it sounds like you already have an Epi LP with upgraded pups. I'd go for the Studio (the Pelham blue or alpine white with the gold hardware) I have no problem with the 490/498 combo but opinions vary on these. Great thing about buying new is you can send it back if you are not happy.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
since you already have a les paul...why not a strat,or a tele,or even a dano 12 string?

hsmaxim

Reaction score
The epi is the best one of the lot imho especially at the price point. These things have really come a long way. Just know epi resale is not going to be any good though, so dont buy unless you plan to keep.

93LPStudio

Reaction score
My two cents for what it's worth :fingersx:!

First it does NOT matter what IS on the headstock! Secondly, just because it says Epiphone Does Not Mean It will Not Sell for more than what you paid down the road. There are some models of Epiphone that sell for more than what the MSRP was when they released!

As stated it all comes down to the neck and what you like! Then which finish you like. The Epiphone IS gonna be a no brainer and it is gonna be a nice guitar. The two Studio's, of course different pups in each but are these "not" quick connect wiring so you can swap out very easily to what pup combo you like. Of course your gonna have folks saying well the quick connect just doesn't have the same "tonez" as being hard wired! Just remember it's not always the guitar or amp but the person behind them making it sing...everything else is just subjective!:thumb:

I don't think you will go wrong with any three of these. Good luck in your decisions!:hmm:

rjshare

Reaction score
My two cents for what it's worth :fingersx:!

First it does NOT matter what IS on the headstock! Secondly, just because it says Epiphone Does Not Mean It will Not Sell for more than what you paid down the road. There are some models of Epiphone that sell for more than what the MSRP was when they released!

Really? On normal production models? Examples?

Not dissing the epi (or any epis for that matter - I do own a couple) but anyone who pays more than 750 for that guitar second hand needs their heads read! The name on the headstock doesn't make a difference to the sound but I'm sorry, it does make a difference to resale whether you believe it or not. With an epi you are buying an Asian made guitar, the Gibson a USA. People will pay more for that on comparable models regardless of their actual respective quality.

laterider

Reaction score
The wine red studio wins hands down IMHO. Also depends on what you are willing to spend as the gloss studio model has gotten pricey in 2016. I know people like the satin stuff but the gloss nitro makes a beautiful instrument. I'm also a fan of the 490/498T pickup combo, another reason it wins for me. I much prefer them over BB Pros or 57 classics as I like the 498T sizzle through a cranked Marshall best.

WhiskeyMike

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 T Studio Faded worn brown. I love the neck (it is like the beat up LP I had in '63) and the pickups sound great. Recommended. I got it from Sweetwater; if you don't like it, you can always return it.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Really? On normal production models? Examples?

Not dissing the epi (or any epis for that matter - I do own a couple) but anyone who pays more than 750 for that guitar second hand needs their heads read! The name on the headstock doesn't make a difference to the sound but I'm sorry, it does make a difference to resale whether you believe it or not. With an epi you are buying an Asian made guitar, the Gibson a USA. People will pay more for that on comparable models regardless of their actual respective quality.
Look up Gibson Studio Fadeds on the bay. Look up Trib +. They go for about the same cash today. They sold for about the same new.

Latest Threads