2016 Standard with no nibs?

TheWilly17

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2016 Standard in Heritage Cherry, I was a little unsure of the authenticity of it because I never realized they made them without nibs. I had a friend of mine who manages a L&M verify the serial number and it checked out. So question is,,were the HP and T's nibless?

Alexb1090

Reaction score
My 2016 standard T has nibs, looking at some photos online the HP may not have. Someone with an HP might be able to verify. Does it have any of the other HP features?

Last edited:

Macronaut

Reaction score
My ‘18 Standard HP does not have nibs. That’s one of the things I liked about it.

drmmrr55

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2016 Standard in Heritage Cherry, I was a little unsure of the authenticity of it because I never realized they made them without nibs. I had a friend of mine who manages a L&M verify the serial number and it checked out. So question is,,were the HP and T's nibless?
My '16 LP Standard T has the nibs also, as does My '17 SG Standard. My '15 Midtown however does not have nibs. My '16 Firebird V doesn't have the nibs either...all have bound necks.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
My 16 Traditional HP doesn’t have nibs, but all of the Ts I’ve seen did. Does yours have the access heel, or the standard, shouldered one?

TheWilly17

Reaction score
*Pics to come*

No it's weird, has the standard heel, standard nut, grover locking tuners etc. It is the nibless feature that has me scratching my head.

PierM

Reaction score
That is looking like a refret to me. Guess you bought used, since also the strap button isn't original/stock.

TheWilly17

Reaction score
It's a locking strap so obviously not original, I don't know why it would be a refret? The guitar looks unplayed,,still a mystery. Yes I bought it used, the original owner bought it at Long and McQuade. Warranty work perhaps? I'm not complaining, I hate nibs, just never seen this before.

Last edited:

Macronaut

Reaction score
Personally, I doubt it's a refret. It's likely one of those weird assed Gibson snafus that happened while Henry was on watch. If you can find no fault with this nibless Standard, count your blessings. One of the deciding factors in my Standard HP purchase was "no nibs".

Of course we all want to know what the deal is when we encounter something that may be out of the ordinary.

Rick

Reaction score
Personally, I doubt it's a refret. It's likely one of those weird assed Gibson snafus that happened while Henry was on watch. If you can find no fault with this nibless Standard, count your blessings. One of the deciding factors in my Standard HP purchase was "no nibs".

Of course we all want to know what the deal is when we encounter something that may be out of the ordinary.
Seriously doubt it. The fretboard widths are completely different between HP and standard. You couldn't just accidentally grab the wrong fretboard. It's definitely a refret.

TheWilly17

Reaction score

Perfectly said, and 100% my thoughts. I cannot deny, it plays and sounds amazing. Loving the wider neck too, it's definitely an oddball.

Macronaut

Reaction score
Seriously doubt it. The fretboard widths are completely different between HP and standard. You couldn't just accidentally grab the wrong fretboard. It's definitely a refret.
Ok, if you say so.

TheWilly17

Reaction score
Doesn't make much difference to me if it is or isn't, just trying to figure it out. It does have a wider fretboard than my other LP's.

EndGame00

Reaction score
That reminds me of Epi LPC necks without the nibs...

PierM

Reaction score
It does have a wider fretboard than my other LP's.
At this point it could be everything. Could be a prototype, or something for a different market. Only way to know for sure, it's to contact Gibson and query the serial with them.

Latest Threads