2016 LP Traditional Plain Top

MikeEd

Reaction score
Mike, that to me looks like the 2016 LTD run Classic Plaintop model that L&M in Canada did. Aside from the plaintop lemonburst Trad, I don't believe they came with zebra 57s.

Are you sure the truss cover wasn't swapped for whatever reason at some point?

Easiest way to find out.. take the pickups out. If it's a Trad it should say 'trad' in permanent marker in one of the cavities.

If it's a Classic, that would explain the slimmer neck.
I took the pickups out to see the markings. Under the bridge pickup it says LPCSP16. Which probably stands for Les Paul Classic Proprietary. Someone probably changed the name plate on this guitar. Under the neck pickup it looks like HS.
image_2022-02-06_140541.png

image_2022-02-06_140713.png

integra evan

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar. All necks will vary even within the same specifications. How does it feel to you is the most important part. I've played some fat necks that are super comfortable to me, and some that were super uncomfortable to me, and they were the same model of guitars. Likewise with slim necks.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Trad was .90 @ 1st fret and 1.0" @ 12th.

Not what I'd call fat at all.

View attachment 589074

i am a broken record but I truly can’t fathom how Gibson does fades so perfectly time and time again…
I try and try and try and can never do what they seem to do so effortlessly…

Your fade on the burst is magnificent

love this thread…in the name of the goldtop, the HCB, and BB

-chris

1allspub

Reaction score
There was a Dealer Exclusive run of 2016 Trads that came with 60s necks (can't remember the dealer/retailer now). Perhaps the OP's guitar is one of those.

1allspub

Reaction score
This isn't a Traditional, it's a Classic. I was defrauded.
Oh man... that sucks! I kinda thought it looked like a Classic what with the zebra pups, but just figured someone swapped out the originals. Sorry to hear this. Classics are great guitars too... but definitely should cost less than a Trad. So now what?

MikeEd

Reaction score
Oh man... that sucks! I kinda thought it looked like a Classic what with the zebra pups, but just figured someone swapped out the originals. Sorry to hear this. Classics are great guitars too... but definitely should cost less than a Trad. So now what?
I want the store that sold to me to issue a full refund or exchange it for a Traditional with 57 classic pickups. I tried to contact the store over the weekend but they were closed. I went there yesterday and there was a sign on the door that they were closed due to covid. They are understaffed. I sent an email to the owner documenting everything.

I haven't heard back from him yet. He isn't in the store everyday. I'm trying to remain calm to see how they handle it.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I took the pickups out to see the markings. Under the bridge pickup it says LPCSP16. Which probably stands for Les Paul Classic Proprietary. Someone probably changed the name plate on this guitar. Under the neck pickup it looks like HS.
View attachment 589250
View attachment 589252
Les Paul Classic Plaintop. HS under the neck pup stands for Heritage Sunburst.

I figured that's what you had there.

Nice guitar

MikeEd

Reaction score
I got confirmation from Gibson that this is indeed a Classic and not a Traditional. I gave them the serial number and they sent me an email confirming the model. Gibson also confirmed that Classic "Proprietary" means it was a special run for that dealer. They got the guitar directly from Gibson.

The store is still temporarily closed due to a covid outbreak. The owner has still not responded to my email.

I hope he doesn't argue with me about a refund. I had the guitar on layaway for around six months. I discovered that it wasn't a traditional about a week after I brought it home. Their policy on layaway items is that they will issue a store credit for a return. I think he should make an exception in this case because it's obvious someone in his store changed the name plate.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got confirmation from Gibson that this is indeed a Classic and not a Traditional. I gave them the serial number and they sent me an email confirming the model. Gibson also confirmed that Classic "Proprietary" means it was a special run for that dealer. They got the guitar directly from Gibson.

The store is still temporarily closed due to a covid outbreak. The owner has still not responded to my email.

I hope he doesn't argue with me about a refund. I had the guitar on layaway for around six months. I discovered that it wasn't a traditional about a week after I brought it home. Their policy on layaway items is that they will issue a store credit for a return. I think he should make an exception in this case because it's obvious someone in his store changed the name plate.

i think it’s beautiful and I prefer classics to all models…
but more than my love for classics is my love for freedom and honesty.
they were dishonest and you have the right to get what u thought u were paying for…

get a refund. Be kind and let them understand u can be made whole if they show you kindness and operate honestly and make this right.
you should be able to get at least some free cables and a tuner clip or 2…

Personally I would attempt a full on charm offensive while letting them know my great dissatisfaction albeit in a very kind and congenial fashion as I am a southerner thru and thru… But I would likely try to get them to throw in an orange micro terror and I might throw in 50 bucks for the little orange cab…

good luck

-chris

MikeEd

Reaction score
i think it’s beautiful and I prefer classics to all models…
but more than my love for classics is my love for freedom and honesty.
they were dishonest and you have the right to get what u thought u were paying for…

get a refund. Be kind and let them understand u can be made whole if they show you kindness and operate honestly and make this right.
you should be able to get at least some free cables and a tuner clip or 2…

Personally I would attempt a full on charm offensive while letting them know my great dissatisfaction albeit in a very kind and congenial fashion as I am a southerner thru and thru… But I would likely try to get them to throw in an orange micro terror and I might throw in 50 bucks for the little orange cab…

good luck

-chris
They don't have a guitar in stock that I would want, so I think an exchange is not going to happen. I mentioned in another thread that the nut on this guitar has horrible workmanship and I don't want to own this guitar. What would you do if he didn't offer a refund? Or what if he tries to tell me I'm stuck with it?

I'm an easy guy to get along with until I get pushed too far and then I explode. If he doesn't cooperate might come unglued.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't have a guitar in stock that I would want, so I think an exchange is not going to happen. I mentioned in another thread that the nut on this guitar has horrible workmanship and I don't want to own this guitar. What would you do if he didn't offer a refund? Or what if he tries to tell me I'm stuck with it?

I'm an easy guy to get along with until I get pushed too far and then I explode. If he doesn't cooperate might come unglued.

very fair.
you deserve to get what u want…
I hope u get a good bit of free stuff out of it too...
id expect something free for my patience if they want my future business…

I hope u get it resolved…we will be here to help u find exactly what u want when u get ur money back :h5:

-chris

JMP

Reaction score
Be nice to them, be kind, and assume they (like you) looked at the truss rod cover that says “Traditional “ and thought it was a Traditional model. Any store that’s in the business of staying in business will offer you a refund if that’s what you want. I gotta think this was an honest oversight.

MikeEd

Reaction score
Be nice to them, be kind, and assume they (like you) looked at the truss rod cover that says “Traditional “ and thought it was a Traditional model. Any store that’s in the business of staying in business will offer you a refund if that’s what you want. I gotta think this was an honest oversight.

I guess it's possible someone could remove a truss rod cover that says "Classic" and replace it with one that says "Traditional" by accident, but I don't want to bare the brunt of their mistake. If they tell me I can't get a refund because it was on layaway for an extended period that's going to be a problem.

Tsukiyomi

Reaction score
I guess it's possible someone could remove a truss rod cover that says "Classic" and replace it with one that says "Traditional" by accident, but I don't want to bare the brunt of their mistake. If they tell me I can't get a refund because it was on layaway for an extended period that's going to be a problem.
Since it's still a 16 (albeit not a Traditional), my guess would be that they've bought it or taken it in as a trade, genuinely thinking it's a Trad and the previous owner has likely been the one who did the switching out. Just a thought.

Regardless, good luck with getting this sorted :fingersx:

MikeEd

Reaction score
Since it's still a 16 (albeit not a Traditional), my guess would be that they've bought it or taken it in as a trade, genuinely thinking it's a Trad and the previous owner has likely been the one who did the switching out. Just a thought.

Regardless, good luck with getting this sorted :fingersx:
I talked to Gibson on the phone and they confirmed it was shipped to the dealer, it was a special run for the dealer. Supposedly they stored it away in the warehouse and didn't bring out until recently.

Reaction score
Mike, that to me looks like the 2016 LTD run Classic Plaintop model that L&M in Canada did. Aside from the plaintop lemonburst Trad, I don't believe they came with zebra 57s.

Are you sure the truss cover wasn't swapped for whatever reason at some point?

Easiest way to find out.. take the pickups out. If it's a Trad it should say 'trad' in permanent marker in one of the cavities.

If it's a Classic, that would explain the slimmer neck.
I was thinking the same. I have one of the 2016 Classics which was also sold in the UK through the PMT chain. Plain top , zebra 57s and slim taper neck. Swapped my truss rod cover for a plain one btw, just because it looks more "classic" ;)

Latest Threads