2016 LP Traditional Plain Top

MikeEd

Reaction score
I recently acquired a NOS 2016 Traditional Plain Top. It has 57 classic and classic plus pickups. I was under the impression that these guitars had a thicker neck, something like 50's neck (I've never played a 50's neck). When I tried it out at the store it felt more comfortable than my LP Studio with a Slim Taper neck.

I put it in layaway for a few months and went back last week to pick it up. When I got it home I took some measurements with my calipers was surprised. The neck is slightly thinner and narrower than the Slim Taper profile and the radius looks like a 10 compared to 12 on the Studio.

Was I wrong to assume that the Traditional is supposed to have a fatter neck?

MikeEd

Reaction score
Uhhhhh ... pictures??
Here are a couple pictures:

image_2022-02-05_181028.png

image_2022-02-05_181119.png

MikeEd

Reaction score
What measurements did you get on the neck?

Spec says it's not normally real thin. But I have a Gibson Les Paul that has a factory neck much thinner than the specs say, and other guitars of same type, year and even color.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx
Here are my measurements in millimeters, assuming that the calipers are accurate and consistent:

LP Traditional
Nut width: 42.75
Width at 12th Fret: 52.51
String Spacing at Bridge: 50.00
Thickness at 1st Fret: 20.34
Thickness at 12th Fret: 22.30
Radius: 10

LP Studio
Nut width: 43.05
Width at 12th Fret: 53.34
String Spacing at Bridge: 50.60
Thickness at 1st Fret: 20.54
Thickness at 12th Fret: 22.54
Radius: 12

MikeEd

Reaction score

JMP

Reaction score
I’d bet the fret board radius is 12” like most all other Gibson. I have a 2016 Traditional and I’ve not measured the neck thickness, but it certainly feels fairly slim to me.

Here’s the 2016 Gibson page. They list the measurements as follows:
Thickness at Fret 1: .828"
Thickness at Fret 12: .973"

In my opinion, that’s a relatively slim Les Paul neck. No matter, it’s a killer guitar!

MikeEd

Reaction score
I’d bet the fret board radius is 12” like most all other Gibson. I have a 2016 Traditional and I’ve not measured the neck thickness, but it certainly feels fairly slim to me.

Here’s the 2016 Gibson page. They list the measurements as follows:
Thickness at Fret 1: .828"
Thickness at Fret 12: .973"

In my opinion, that’s a relatively slim Les Paul neck. No matter, it’s a killer guitar!

I know, they are all supposed to 12" radius but many times they are closer to 10", I've got some radius gauges and the 10" fits better.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i can tell you that my 2016 trad HP is fatter than my 60s tribute,for sure.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are my measurements in millimeters, assuming that the calipers are accurate and consistent:

LP Traditional
Nut width: 42.75
Width at 12th Fret: 52.51
String Spacing at Bridge: 50.00
Thickness at 1st Fret: 20.34
Thickness at 12th Fret: 22.30
Radius: 10

LP Studio
Nut width: 43.05
Width at 12th Fret: 53.34
String Spacing at Bridge: 50.60
Thickness at 1st Fret: 20.54
Thickness at 12th Fret: 22.54
Radius: 12

Yea, basically a Slim Taper, depending on roundness. I try not to play anything but a Slim Taper, so I'd be THRILLED. But that's just me.

It's a beautiful guitar too!!

MikeEd

Reaction score
Yea, basically a Slim Taper, depending on roundness. I try not to play anything but a Slim Taper, so I'd be THRILLED. But that's just me.

It's a beautiful guitar too!!
The funny thing about it is I previously owned a Studio with a Slim Taper and didn't like it as much as this one. It seemed like my hand would get tired when playing Barr chords. But this guitar feels fine. I guess every guitar is shaped slightly different even though they appear to be similar.

TXOldRedRocker

Tech pays the bills. Not a fan of tech.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing about it is I previously owned a Studio with a Slim Taper and didn't like it as much as this one. It seemed like my hand would get tired when playing Barr chords. But this guitar feels fine. I guess every guitar is shaped slightly different even though they appear to be similar.

I currently have 7 LP's. 5 of them have Slim Taper. With the one Trad Pro V being an Ultra Slim Taper. I have a Classic Custom with a rounded 'C' 60's neck. I can play it fine, but my hand gets tired sooner on it than with the D shaped Slim Taper. My Custom Shop is so unique, I won't even go into it.

I have short stumpy fingers and some pretty bad autoimmune arthritis, so I have to be picky.

I'm on the hunt for an 8th LP, and the neck is a make or break deal with me.

Rds

Reaction score
very nice guitar congrats.
i love my 16 trad. i have never measured so have no numbers just feel compared to my others. its definitely not the thinnest neck of the ones i have but mine is not as fat as others i have owned. its a good feel for me. i have a 09 custom thats way fatter. i do agree theres a little slimness to them. great looking guitar!

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Mike, that to me looks like the 2016 LTD run Classic Plaintop model that L&M in Canada did. Aside from the plaintop lemonburst Trad, I don't believe they came with zebra 57s.

Are you sure the truss cover wasn't swapped for whatever reason at some point?

Easiest way to find out.. take the pickups out. If it's a Trad it should say 'trad' in permanent marker in one of the cavities.

If it's a Classic, that would explain the slimmer neck.

MikeEd

Reaction score
Mike, that to me looks like the 2016 LTD run Classic Plaintop model that L&M in Canada did. Aside from the plaintop lemonburst Trad, I don't believe they came with zebra 57s.

Are you sure the truss cover wasn't swapped for whatever reason at some point?

Easiest way to find out.. take the pickups out. If it's a Trad it should say 'trad' in permanent marker in one of the cavities.

If it's a Classic, that would explain the slimmer neck.
I was wondering the same thing. The paper tag that was on the guitar says LP Classic Proprietary. They said someone mismarked it.

Latest Threads