2016 Les Paul Tradition - Traditional Weight Relief - Wildwood

Ansen

Reaction score
All the Bursts measured for BOTB Book have a body thickness , measured from the side including the top/binding average at 1.9685" thick. That is not including the top carve from the middle .
Gibson simply used the back thickness , which is 1 3/4" spec , in early adverts and didn't include the top. Which is 1/4" thick at the binding.
The late 60's through todays adverts included the top and not just the back.
It's that simple.

I've held and played around 100 50's LPs. None were 1 3/4" at the side including the top/binding.

So, if you say, that Gibson failed giving the right specs for Les Pauls from the start until '60 to the folks, while stating their other guitars in the catalogues correctly..I will stop to arguing about that now until i have further verified informations.

On the other side i dont have the BOTB book, albeit it just contained the specs of a couple of 50 (fifty) Les Pauls from '58 -'60. Nor did i take measurements of a hundred of 50th Les Pauls, so i cant speak about that. I just have the Gibson stated specs from their early advertisements, which seems reliable to me before.

Btw..there's a data sheet arround here about weight and neck thickness of the guitars in the BOTB book, which is simply full of mistake in the conversion between mm and inches. And noone ever noticed it..:D

donnycraven

Reaction score
I think it will be from AMS but I'm getting a 2016 Traditional I think. My 2014 Classic weighs about 10 1/2 pounds and I'm seeing the new ones at 8 1/2.

donnycraven

Reaction score
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus 2016 T Guitar with Case

If you listen really closely... you can almost hear this 8.75 pounder calling your name... Donny, Donny, Donny... :naughty:

Yeah I saw yours, that is nice. My 8 1/2 pound 2014 Cherry Sunburst Signature is about all I play now. That and my SG. The SG is almost to light for my tastes though. Im looking, I want a honeyburst too. I will find one and probably sell the 2014 Classic. Its just to heavy the older I get.

PW214

Reaction score
I think that argument is ridiculous.

Gibson had no problem making a non-weight relieved Traditional 2013-2015 which I know was a selling feature for a lot of customers and then decides to revert back to 2012 specs just for the sake of reverting to 2012 specs (Traditional weight relief)

Make the traditional that every one wants. Make it with no weight relief with a 50's and 60's neck option with an ABR bridge. It probably costs them more in manufacturing time to make the 9 hole Traditional weight relief model.

Just disappointed I guess.

OOC, why would people not want some weight relief? I'm not sure why it's an issue? I know that the chambering makes for a different guitar but I would rather have weight relieved than non. *shrug*

Sorry you are disappointed though.

donnycraven

Reaction score
OOC, why would people not want some weight relief? I'm not sure why it's an issue? I know that the chambering makes for a different guitar but I would rather have weight relieved than non. *shrug*

Yep if they dont have an 8 pounder in the color I want I am not buying.

Latearrival

Reaction score

Let me turn it around - why would people want a beautiful, solid-looking guitar, knowing that inside, large holes had been drilled? - Especially when it only makes about 1/4 lbs differece anyway!???

donnycraven

Reaction score
Never mind the weight - look at the nibs!

twizzlers_nibs_cherry_400g_1.jpg

They are low in fat too!

Cjsinla

Reaction score
AMS has an 8lbs 2oz 2016 Honey Burst Trad in stock right now... just sayin'. ;)

Anyone verify those weights? AMS and Zzounds seem to list the same stock and in 2014 they were usually low. I bought two Trads and they were both heavier than advertised by about 5 ounces.

donnycraven

Reaction score
Anyone verify those weights? AMS and Zzounds seem to list the same stock and in 2014 they were usually low. I bought two Trads and they were both heavier than advertised by about 5 ounces.

I can't say as the weights I get are off, my scale is an antique postal but it seems pretty close. zZounds and AMS are the same company like Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are.

Mats A

Reaction score
Try the guitar! If it sounds good or bad it´s not because of the weight relief holes. You could never just by ear tell if a Les Paul was weight relieved or not.

donnycraven

Reaction score
Try the guitar! If it sounds good or bad it´s not because of the weight relief holes. You could never just by ear tell if a Les Paul was weight relieved or not.

Man that is such a true statement. :applause: It would be nice if more people actually realized this. You cant hear the weight relief at all. On a lot of them you cant even feel it, they are still almost 11 lbs.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
I think that argument is ridiculous.

Gibson had no problem making a non-weight relieved Traditional 2013-2015 which I know was a selling feature for a lot of customers and then decides to revert back to 2012 specs just for the sake of reverting to 2012 specs (Traditional weight relief)

Make the traditional that every one wants. Make it with no weight relief with a 50's and 60's neck option with an ABR bridge. It probably costs them more in manufacturing time to make the 9 hole Traditional weight relief model.

Just disappointed I guess.

If only we lived in this world, I would love a traditional with traditional specs

1allspub

Reaction score
Anderton's in the UK now has the 2016s up and available for pre-order.

Gibson Announce New 2016 USA Guitars! | Andertons Blog

Capt Lee has always seemed to be pretty well connected with Gibson and he lists them as being Traditional Weight Relief as well. And as can be seen on the Anderton's website they even have a section quoting info from Gibson that states "Traditional Weight Relief". I called Gibson again, hoping maybe their Cust Svc would actually have the specs now. The guy I spoke with only had "some" specs for the Trad. He was able to confirm the 57/57+ pickups (which my ear already confirmed for me), but still wasn't able to confirm weight relief or not! UGH!!! He did say he thought they (Gibson) would be officially releasing the 2016 specs "soon"... so we'll see. I did thank him (as a proxy for Gibson in general) for making the LPs "right" again in 2016s... and asked him to pass that on up the food chain! :D

Anyway, my own 2016 Trad is 9lbs even and lighter than my 2014 non-weight relieved Trad... so now, with Anderton's stating Traditional Weight Relief, I am definitely believing they are indeed so.

Latest Threads