2016 Les Paul Standard Refin

Cf1988

Reaction score
Hey guys!

About six months ago I bought an ex demo 2016 standard in trans black. I did not bond with it at all. To my ears the pickups didn't sound great and neither did the guitar.

The finish was also not great, as I like my Les Paul's to be sunburst I decided to have the pickups ripped out and have the whole guitar refinished. The job was done by Chris at George Henry guitars. I dropped a set of Wizz Pickups in and the guitar is transformed! It's completely different and is well on my way to being my favourite guitar! Here's the first thing I played when I got it back. I've also attached some before and after photos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ZKAXjP7CY[/ame]

Has anyone else had their guitar refinished?

Attachments

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Glad you like your new refinished top.

If you love it, that's all that matters.

I personally like the trans black original finish.

You don't see those a lot and I'd have kept it that way.

Cf1988

Reaction score
Don't know what it was just wasn't that keen really, it was quite hard to see the flame top when it was black. The refinish feels a lot nicer on the neck as well, or at least it does to me!

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Sweet!!!

I like the new color better. Sounds great too (dig the double creams/whites). :)

Cf1988

Reaction score
It's paper thin as well. The guy said that the original black finish was so thick and plastic it took him ages to get of, it's made a massive difference to the feel of the guitar

LPSPP

Reaction score
Both look great but love the trans black

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I don't know who this George Henry person is, but that is beautiful work. My question though, you did not like the way the guitar looked, felt or sounded. Would it have been more cost effective to swap it out? I don't know how much your refinish cost, but it LOOKS like it wasn't done on the cheep. Also, outside of cosmetics, there is no guarantee there will be a real improvement. If you go to a different guitar you can test drive at least. I AM glad that it came together for you though. I like the Trans-Black better

Cf1988

Reaction score
Surprised to see a lot of love for the trans black! I thought it was horrible but each to their own!

Yeah it was a bit of a gamble I suppose but I knew that he does really good work so I was pretty confident it would all come together in the end

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I don't have strong feelings either way, I think they both look pretty good.

ACEit

Reaction score
Even if I'm the first to pimp everything I've at hands.. I wonder why you didn't just sell it and buy a new one you like more...

:hmm:

Nice job nevertheless

:thumb:

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever works for you...I like both finishes.

If it doesn't sound good? Different ballgame.

RRfireblade

Reaction score
What ever it takes to make the bond!

(Sorry, loved the trans black too. ;-) )

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, really nice paint job and sound :thumb:

Personally I would prefer a Trans Black, now I want a Trans Black :D

nitrodave08

Reaction score
cHaha I went the other way, spent 6 months looking for a trans black all I could find were the CS ones. I was just getting back into the guitar world and didn't want to blow a load of cash on something that would just be hanging on the wall. I bought a HCSB TradProII and after I fubar'd the top, Called Michael Learn guitars down in Denver (he does some of the guys guitars n STYX, and it would cost me $450 to refin. I decided to do a refin myself. If I messed it up, I could always have him refin the refin. Came out pretty good. One area where the tapeoff ran and a few cracks. Now that I have the garage and Nitro melts into layers, I probably will fix the issues.

Pickups, IMO, are #1 things to go for making a good guitar great. I ripped out the all the electronics. '57s out, SD 59s in. Noisy rat's nest out. wiring from an Historic in. This was my #1 until the R9.

Last edited by a moderator:

viking20

Reaction score
You are both nuts !
LOL , but that's ok. If that's what it takes to have a guitar that feels special to you , its quite all right in my book......

FUS44

Reaction score
Save the translucent weirdness for PRS's.

Good on you for "fixing" it.

The finish on a gibson is like a boat hull, pretty or not. You have unleashed the guitar, hopefully. Sounds good to me.

moreles

Reaction score
Doubtless you got a much better finish, not just a different color, and perhaps that helps justify the expense of a refin as opposed to a sell/swap. Gibson's finishing has gotten much better, thankfully, but they often still feel plastic-y. As for trans black, I have a guitar in that finish (not a Gibson; a McNaught, finished to a vastly higher standard) and I've gotta say it's not my favorite color at all, though I get loads of compliments! Glad you got what you wanted. The rest is irrelevant.

Birdseyeview

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't resist. The elephant in the room in this thread are the sex faces you strike in the video; priceless!

Latest Threads