2016 Les PAul Custom Nashville bridge Should I convert to ABR1 or top wrap

TimeTraveler

Reaction score
Picked up a 2016 Custom black with chrome. anyway i was playing the other day and noticed the string break angle and basically the strings are resting on the back of the bridge. I had this problem before on other les pauls and tried raising the tailpiece up. I can raise it up a little bit and still be comfortable but the problem i have is I hate the way the tail piece feels when it is raised up past a certain point and I am resting my palm on it. No i dont normally play that way but my hand naturally goes to that position when i am resting and i cant stand the way it feels call me crazy whatever.

ANyway I can basically raise it up a little but the strings are still kinda touching the back of the bridge. From what i found online it affects the overtones whatever that is. Am I overly concerned about it or is it not a big deal? seems like if it was a big deal gibson wouldnt make their guitars like that.

Currently i have top wrapped the guitar to avoid the problem and i may just continue to do this. I dunno seems dumb that i have tto go through this with an expensive instrument but whatever.

Considering a conversion kit to change to ABR1 bridge and think the locking type seems to be a good idea, but right now I cant justify the price of these. I mean i spent a lot on a custom I shoudnt have to modifiy it to work properly or am i missing something. The other problem i forsee with an abr1 is the saddles are currently maxed out at the 5th string and the 3rd string so a narrower saddle probably wont help. also why are the saddles maxed out to get intonation, doent seem right for a supposed high end instrument, what is going on over there at gibson.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Les paul stop tail type guitars are adjustable for a reason. You can raise the tail piece like it was designed to do or you can top wrap. I wouldn't change the bridge to compensate.

Mike I

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The saddles can be removed and turned around, to gain more travel for the intonation.

Saiko

Reaction score
I would only change to an ABR if you prefer the aesthetic of the ABR, otherwise I would adjust the existing bridge as suggested.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Faber ABR-N. Fits on Nashville posts and let's you slam the tailpiece without strings contacting the bridge.

Can you flip those saddles that aren't intonating?

ARandall

Reaction score
I mean i spent a lot on a custom I shoudnt have to modifiy it to work properly or am i missing something
Yes, the missing bit is that there is nothing about any lesser or extra money spent on any Les Paul model that makes it either better or worse for setup possibility.
Neither can the factory consult a crystal ball to know the precise setup likes and wants of the eventual owner to know just how each guitar should be made.

There are a lot of adjustable parts to the guitar.....put there specifically so that you can tailor the setup to your likes. It is up to you as the individual to make the decisions to suit your own needs.
If you choose to then not to use them and rather modify the guitar with different hardware......have at it. It is your instrument after all and not a sacred relic that has any element of sacrilege involved if it does not possess all its original hardware.

cherrick

Reaction score
... gonna go heavier strings
Well, bless your heart!

I'm of the TP down, top-wrap school ... on the few ABR-style bridged guitars left in my arsenal. Most others have been converted to Wrap-around/Wrap+tail bridge by now.

TimeTraveler

Reaction score
There are a lot of adjustable parts to the guitar.....put there specifically so that you can tailor the setup to your likes. It is up to you as the individual to make the decisions to suit your own needs.

yes but unfortunately cant adjust it to where i want it without top wrap

ARandall

Reaction score
Still means you 'have to make the decisions to suit your needs' as I mentioned already.

Latest Threads