2016 Gibson CS R8 CME 1 of 4

kidmandude

Reaction score
Your LP is my LP's older brother. Looks a heck of a lot like my '17 CME SITF. Hasn't been back in the case since I got it so its a little faded out.
WOW!!! NICE!!!!

How do you like the Custombuckers?

chrimer

Reaction score
I love 'em. Low wind Custom Buckers. They sound really good, articulation, bloom, overtones. All those PAF adjectives they do them in their own way. I've had a set of WIZZ on hand hand for a while now that I keep meaning to slap in there...but every time I'm about to do it, I plug it in and think this is amazing as is so why bother? It will just mean more trouble to put them back in again when I want that sound back.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were more than 4 ... there were at least 12

kidmandude

Reaction score
There were more than 4 ... there were at least 12
Wow, For 2016 i thought only 4 were made for CME?

I know they make batches almost each year for a little while now i dont know about each year or when eactly they started these special order ones, but never read 12 for 2016.

Did you have a CME from 2016 R8? If you did, does the person who bought it from you still own it?

kidmandude

Reaction score
@Sct13

You replaced your 2016 r8 CME custombuckers with 2014 custombuckers? Whats up with that? Did you notice a big difference in them?

Also I really thought CME 2016 R8 were custombuckers "s" versions? Cloned from Mike Slubowski 58 pafs.

I will know for sure ill be replacing my harness with a doyle coils harness. Just the harness not the pickups. I'll take a peek, I'll be doing m-69 upgrade rings too.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not Replace ... just trying out different things. I think I acquired that one without the pickups... it came raped and freezing without its pickups installed.
The 2014’s came out of my 14 R8 MTM aged and those have a low wind and don’t have a much of a bottom end. But rip kinda like a strat when on the middle position. So that was kind of the point there...

I still have the 14 R8 and those pickups..

I think I sold that to another forum member.

Reaction score
Usually Gibson wants a minimum run of 25 pieces, as in the Benchmark Series, so I wonder if another store went in with CME to make up the 25 piece minimum.

What was the street price for these?

jwehrman

Reaction score
FWIW, I do believe someone here might have this one. If not here, they might be on the Les Paul Forum. I fell head over heels for this one instantly. It ignited my obsession with LP's. I drove the salespeople at CME crazy. I went about every day I could to play it. I was not able to move on it, as I did not have the means at the time. This one still haunts me from time to time. You can see the other three behind it - including yours possibly.
20210121_002836.jpg

Latest Threads