2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019 Standard?

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Hi All,

I think I've narrowed my search down to a 2016-2019 Standard because I've loved the ones I've played from that group and because those years are closest to the ones I have been able to play in local stores so I feel like I know what I am getting (within reason) when I order online.

I'm pretty sure all the years have these features, is this correct?:
- 60s shape w/ slim taper neck and compound radius fretboard
- split pickup functionality
- bridge 'dump'
- chambered body
- locking tuners
- AAA maple top

I was wondering if anyone can chime in or let me know of any significant differences that I might be overlooking when comparing the Standards between these years. I'm leaning cherry burst but also considering blood orange.

Pick ups are big question to me. I've only been able to play an '18 and '19.

I know '16, '17, and '18, have Burstbucker Pro Rhythm/Lead humbuckers but '19 is often listed as _just_ "Burstbucker Pro" -- is there a difference there?

IF a person had to choose to purchase one sight un-seen, why would someone choose a '16 over an '18? a '17 over a '19? a '19 over them all.

Thank you for reading.

RobertD

Reaction score
I would wait until the 50 and 60 standards come out either in may or june and check them out.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Man, I didn't even think of the upcoming models. There's already too much info out there...

tsaby8

Reaction score
I've just purchased the '18 HP, lovely guitar. The heritage cherry fade is the trigger to me and there is great discount on the '18-models probably due to lack of pup-rings. There is not much chance to swap pups in these, I guess that's why pup rings are back this year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Honestly I think overall 2016-2018 were some of the best LPs Gibson has ever put out. Both the 2016 Standard and 2018 Custom I bought were flawless right down to the setup.

Aside from a lot of marketing speak telling us exactly what we want to hear, what Gibson does for 2019 and beyond remains to be seen. The promise of better guitars at a lower price point in today's economy is kind of a head scratcher for me.

JC talks about all they did for Levi's but if you actually look at it they did nothing but a lot of marketing. The products got cheaper, not better. It's still a dead brand with very little left of what was once an American heritage. Hopefully they don't do the same with Gibson.

I'd just look at everything that's available and grab the one that grabs you :)

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think overall 2016-2018 were some of the best LPs Gibson has ever put out. Both the 2016 Standard and 2018 Custom I bought were flawless right down to the setup.

Aside from a lot of marketing speak telling us exactly what we want to hear, what Gibson does for 2019 and beyond remains to be seen. The promise of better guitars at a lower price point in today's economy is kind of a head scratcher for me.

JC talks about all they did for Levi's but if you actually look at it they did nothing but a lot of marketing. The products got cheaper, not better. It's still a dead brand with very little left of what was once an American heritage. Hopefully they don't do the same with Gibson.

I'd just look at everything that's available and grab the one that grabs you :)
This!!

I personally would say 2018 because they had a great feel and u can some great deals on untouched 18s

-Chris

Guitpicky

Reaction score
The biggest difference I see between '16, '17, and '18 is the choice of models and color options. 2016 had the most color options and limited editions in the USA Standards. Those options got progressively leaner over the next two years.

Good luck :)

tsaby8

Reaction score
After a little mod it looks close to a 'real' LP. Plays like dream, sounds incredible.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
one thing for sure this era has lots of info on each year. good luck.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
It really comes down to what features you prefer. Having owned a 2017 and the new 2019 Original Collection ‘60s, I prefer the latter. I never used all the control options on the 17, as I’m more of a “traditionalist” when it comes to Les Pauls. Both great guitars, but the OC ‘60s just speaks to me.

The 2017 Standard:

An the 2019 OC ‘60s:

Benniator

Reaction score
It really comes down to what features you prefer. Having owned a 2017 and the new 2019 Original Collection ‘60s, I prefer the latter. I never used all the control options on the 17, as I’m more of a “traditionalist” when it comes to Les Pauls. Both great guitars, but the OC ‘60s just speaks to me.

The 2017 Standard:

An the 2019 OC ‘60s:

I really like that Unburst.

Speaking of the Original Collection, there's a 9lbs P90 Goldtop '50s on Wildwood's website right now. Most other P90s I've seen have been over 10lbs. Someone needs to jump on that before I do.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really like that Unburst.

Speaking of the Original Collection, there's a 9lbs P90 Goldtop '50s on Wildwood's website right now. Most other P90s I've seen have been over 10lbs. Someone needs to jump on that before I do.
Thanks! I can honesty say that it looks even better in person. And there’s a clear difference in the top carve between the two... the 60s being a bit more pronounced.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
The new second-era 19's have a choice of 50's or 60's neck which is a big difference compared to the others you are looking at which offered an asymmetrical "slim" neck.

There was also weight relief in all the previous years you are looking at whereas the new 19's are solid-body in the Traditional models (I believe the HP models are weight relieved still). They also have two different pickup choices to my knowledge, depending on whether you go with the 50's or 60's model and ABR hardware.

For me, I like thinner necks so the newer 60's Standard with solid body has been giving me serious G.A.S. I had a '16 Standard in amber burst for awhile. While the neck was fantastic, the quality left something to be desired and it felt a little cheap. The weight-relief made the guitar feel very light in a cheap way and the guitar would feedback under higher gain even after I changed the pickups. I experienced this on other ultra-modern weight reliefs Standards I tried in store as well. I have nothing against traditional weight relief methods (my #1 has this) but that feedback was a real dealbreaker for me.

Probably not an issue for you if you don't play in a loud jam setting or under high gain though.

Just my two cents.

NoRythm_LP

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out the gold tops over at Wildwood. My wallet now hates you...

Last edited:

Wailing

Reaction score
I like the 02 to 06 standards though this new 2019 60's standard looks very promising.
02 was a V Good year.. and as you say the new 2019s look awesome

dro

Reaction score
My go to's are 05 and 06 the latter being lighter by far. But the tone is great. Had an 08 Standard. with the chambering. It wasn't bad at rehearsal. But I took it to a gig and it screamed like a 335. So I dumped that one real quick.. But the weight relief that's been goin on since the 80s, the nine holes, don't bother me a bit

Latest Threads