2015 Studio Bridge advice

jmh276

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am after a bit of advice for my Les Paul Studio 2015. Recently, it has had trouble staying in tune - thought I had maybe rushed restringing, or got a dud set of strings, but have replaced them 3 times now. I also noticed a bit of a ringing/buzzing effect. Having looked it over I think the bridge has started to collapse as their is a slight concave shape to it. Looked to order a replacement and I noticed that all the replacements had either much smaller or larger studs/bushings etc.

I rang a local parts dealer and he said that the bridges on the studios are often different and that they didn't stock them. I have looked on the Gibson website and all its says is that is a tune o matic. When googling the parts number no info comes up.

Just wondering if anyone could advise on this? Any input would be appreciated.

cheers

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off welcome to the site. :welcome:

I‘m pretty sure all the bridges are the same Studios through Standards.

Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You need to know the diameter of the bride posts primarily and the center to center spacing between them. Tune o matic bridges come in a variety of post sizes. Also finding one with the radius that matches your fretboard (probably 12") helps too so you don't have to file down any saddles to match it up.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if this helps as I’m kinda an obsessive weirdo but every single les paul I own has the same nashville bridge…doesn’t matter what it comes with as I never try a different one for longer than it takes to get the new bridge from the internet…

tuning is never an issue and this is with bigsbies…

again, I don’t know much about bridges except I fell in love with the chunky nashville eons ago and I’ve never altered course…

-chris

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Before you start changing out hardware, just make sure you have the easy things covered first. One thing to consider is lubricating the nut and bridge saddles with a very small dab of lubricant. I use Graphit-All, but there are tons of other options. I do this every time I change the strings along with making sure that the nut and saddles are cleaned out of any debris/gunk. Also, if the strings are some off brand, that can also cause problems. I learned long ago that all strings are not created equal. Because of that, I only use D 'Addario, but there are other quality strings too.

OIP.5wLhjrHme9uWz4B2dgfCoAHaHa

jmh276

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I should have said in the first post that I actually bought a replacement bridge- a Wilkinson ABR-1, which is why I realised the specs were different - I only checked the measurements between the studs/poles.
I have had the guitar for a while so have experimented with loads of different string brands/gauges over the years. I also replaced the Brass Zero Fret nut with a Tusq nut as the slots on the brass one had worn.
I've attached pics of the existing bridge and the new one for comparison. Don't know if it comes through on the pics but you can see daylight between the ruler and the bridge, which is why I think its collapsed slightly. Having looked closer, the saddle slots seem to wearing a bit - might this be the cause.
Kind of thinking it might be a Nashville Bridge?

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 15

Roxy13

Reaction score
Is it a 4mm stud? If so I can make recommendations since that's the size on almost every MIJ guitar.

jmh276

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I think the posts are 5mm? I've emailed Gibson so hopefully they can confirm. I have a habit of buying stuff online and it not being right!

Last edited:

tache3

Reaction score
Is it a 4mm stud? If so I can make recommendations since that's the size on almost every MIJ guitar.
The Studio isn't a MIJ guitar though. There is an ABR and a Nashville in the pics, which one was fitted on the guitar?

Roxy13

Reaction score
The Studio isn't a MIJ guitar though. There is an ABR and a Nashville in the pics, which one was fitted on the guitar?

It doesn't matter if the bridge fits. Gibson has used SAE and metric sized posts over the years.

jmh276

Reaction score
If your bridge was collapsing it would be curving down not up, no?
it is slightly concave in the middle -only just starting to collapse but would explain why tuning stability has become much worse, and the g and b strings buzz and lack sustain

Latest Threads