2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Help With Info

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Thanks all. I wrote Gibson and sent them all the info I always do. They responded by asking for as many pics as I could send them. It seems I may have stumped Gibson. Anyways, she arrives tomorrow. I will of course let you know what I think about her. Again, you guys are awesome. The most knowledgeable group I have ever belonged to!

Justin_Case

Reaction score
The neck carve is the only acid test to differentiate a Sprint Run from a regular 2015.

Visually they appear the same. That said - When Gibson was sending reps to the stores to strip the G-Force systems, the replacement tuners were Grovers. While possible someone along the lines just added Kluson Tuners, odds are it was not a Gibson Rep.

Also, from removing many G-Force systems to replace with regular tuners, I always found the bottom plate of the G-Force left an easily seen marking on the back of the headstock in the area outlined in the pic below.

Chances are it is a Sprint Run. This one should be 1 of 48 Honeybursts.

sr.png

jstarr823

Reaction score
If I remember correctly,... sprint run Traditionals had the normal carved ‘50s style neck,... normal Les Paul model silkscreen,... and a nylon nut..... and Gibson Deluxe tuners.
The original “first run” SR Traditionals had the 100 Death Scrawl and brass nut. Tuners and neck width was the only major change. Pretty sure I remember a SR like you described though. Might have been a bit later before the 16s were released. Who knows. That whole era was pretty sketchy. Those 2015 tops were insane though.

Last edited:

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
She got here and is gorgeous. In the description, the pickguard was said to be in pretty bad condition which really didn't worry me. Come to find out, the plastic was never removed. =) The neck is not the wide '15 neck but between my R8 and '16 Traditional. It is very comfortable and easy to play. I love the '59 pickups. They are far closer (very very close) to my R8 pickups than they are to the '57's that come with my '16 Trad. Could they be early Custom Shop pickups by any chance? Anyways, the top is the nicest top I have ever seen on a non-Custom Shop Gibson. The first thing my wife said was it was the prettiest guitar I have ever had. Thanks for all the help on this. A couple shots of her:
IMG_2651 (1).jpg
IMG_2650 (1).jpg

Rds

Reaction score
Here is a nice link I found while looking for info on my 12 traditional ii. It's a handy reference. You guys might like it.
Nothing but traditional info.

anorton

Reaction score
She got here and is gorgeous. In the description, the pickguard was said to be in pretty bad condition which really didn't worry me. Come to find out, the plastic was never removed. =) The neck is not the wide '15 neck but between my R8 and '16 Traditional. It is very comfortable and easy to play. I love the '59 pickups. They are far closer (very very close) to my R8 pickups than they are to the '57's that come with my '16 Trad. Could they be early Custom Shop pickups by any chance? Anyways, the top is the nicest top I have ever seen on a non-Custom Shop Gibson. The first thing my wife said was it was the prettiest guitar I have ever had. Thanks for all the help on this. A couple shots of her: View attachment 413075View attachment 413076
That‘s one pretty LP! Congratulations and happy NGD!

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
The tribute 59 humbucker is the best HB pickup Gibson ever produced...and the fact they are not available it’s just another Gibson marketing misfire.

Im always hunting for those pickup, so if you want to sell it, ping me, Ill grab them instantly!

PS: the neck in your pictures is the wide one, like any other 2015 trad.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
It is not wide and seems to be the exact neck that is in my '16 Trad. It is not as wide as my R8.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is not wide and seems to be the exact neck that is in my '16 Trad. It is not as wide as my R8.
The R8 has a standard width, I think you are confusing the word “wide” with “deep”. It’s not the profile thickness, its the fretboard width which is wider in the 2015. Just look at the huge space you have between binding and first strings.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
The R8 has a standard width, I think you are confusing the word “wide” with “deep”. It’s not the profile thickness, its the fretboard width which is wider in the 2015. Just look at the huge space you have between binding and first strings.
I measured the width and it is the same as my R8 and '16 Trad. I have played the '15 wider neck and this is not it.

wmachine

Reaction score
The tribute 59 humbucker is the best HB pickup Gibson ever produced...and the fact they are not available it’s just another Gibson marketing misfire.

Im always hunting for those pickup, so if you want to sell it, ping me, Ill grab them instantly!

PS: the neck in your pictures is the wide one, like any other 2015 trad.
I agree with all of ^this^.

On the width, do you mind telling us what it measures?

Once more, the "Great 2015 tops" strikes again!!!

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I measured the width and it is the same as my R8 and '16 Trad. I have played the '15 wider neck and this is not it.
Man that sounds odd. Never seen a 2015, with all 2015 specs like your, with a normal neck.
Also, that brass nut, the pickguard set, they are both cut for the wider neck...so it’s really odd you have something completely outside the specs, unless it’s a prototype.

Said that, all the pictures you posted, I see a wide neck. Easy to see in the final section of the neck, where it does touch the neck humbucker ring. That’s exactly wide as my 2015. Weird stuff. :)

1571233694570.jpeg

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man that sounds odd. Never seen a 2015, with all 2015 specs like your, with a normal neck.
Also, that brass nut, the pickguard set, they are both cut for the wider neck...so it’s really odd you have something completely outside the specs, unless it’s a prototype.

Said that, all the pictures you posted, I see a wide neck. Easy to see in the final section of the neck, where it does touch the neck humbucker ring. That’s exactly wide as my 2015. Weird stuff. :)

View attachment 414005
Yup totally agree with Pier on this.......... no way in hell is that the same as a R8.

An R8 would be narrow in width compared to this neck.

An R8 would never be bigger than that,,,,,,,,,,, no freaking way.

Last edited:

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
First one is R8 and second one is '15 Trad. Hey, I am learning. They looked and measured about the same. They are both at the A or 5th fret.
IMG_2661 (1).jpg
IMG_2662 (1).jpg

My Les Paul Classifieds