2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Help With Info

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
I am looking for any help I can regarding a guitar I just had to jump at and buy. I am waiting for it to arrive. Here is what I know: It was listed as a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Now mind you, I hate the Robo-Tuner thing and would never buy a '15 with it. Here is the weird part: It doesn't have the Robo-Tuner AND it comes with the '59 pickups that came with the '14 Trads dated 12/31/14. Does this mean it was an early '15 Trad with '14 left over parts? A mistake? I wrote Gibson to get info and they haven't replied yet. I am guessing it was a very early '15 Traditional with left over '14 parts but not sure. I just couldn't pass up this top and the '59 pickups. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
9.jpg

MSB

Reaction score
someone swapped the tuners, some were even done at the stores and everything else is exactly what is spec'd on Gibson's website, so not sure the confusion?

Last edited:

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
someone swapped the tuners, some where even done at the stores and everything else is exactly what is spec'd on Gibson's website, so not sure the confusion?
It has '59 pickups that only came (I think) with the '14 Trad. That is why I asked. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Someone messaged me and told me it looks like a "Gibson Les Paul Traditional Sprint Run 2015". Could that be correct?

ACEit

Reaction score
Someone messaged me and told me it looks like a "Gibson Les Paul Traditional Sprint Run 2015". Could that be correct?
it's exactly that.... I had a 15 trad but I didn't like the '59 at all... moreover the big neck plus the extra binding make the neck veeeery unconfortable... even if usually I like 58 necks.... now I have an r8 a 17 trad and a 16 trad hp.. the extra size of the hp neck width is annoying but I can manage it.. on '15 models it was double that size

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
it's exactly that.... I had a 15 trad but I didn't like the '59 at all... moreover the big neck plus the extra binding make the neck veeeery unconfortable... even if usually I like 58 necks.... now I have an r8 a 17 trad and a 16 trad hp.. the extra size of the hp neck width is annoying but I can manage it.. on '15 models it was double that size
Thank you!

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask if the neck profile was different too...
I first heard of a sprint run here... This is a 2015 studio, granted.... but it mentions what made the sprint runs different, and the neck profile is listed as well as no robo tuners etc...
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibson-les-paul-studio-sprint-run-2015-manhattan-midnight.431869/

My 2 cents..

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly,... sprint run Traditionals had the normal carved ‘50s style neck,... normal Les Paul model silkscreen,... and a nylon nut..... and Gibson Deluxe tuners.

I have slept since then so I could be wrong,... but it was the first attempt to right what was an ailing ship in 2015.

The OPs pic is of a regular 2015 model of a Traditional with replacement tuners.

I have said many times about these 2015s and I will say it again..... these guitars often have the most spectacular tops I have seen on regular USA production Les Pauls. This is a beautiful top.

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
the sprint runs still has the scrawl, hologram and zero fret nut, just a regular width neck and standard tuners, iirc

so it could be, just depends how wide the neck is on the OP's guitar

wmachine

Reaction score
If I remember correctly,... sprint run Traditionals had the normal carved ‘50s style neck,... normal Les Paul model silkscreen,... and a nylon nut..... and Gibson Deluxe tuners.

I have slept since then so I could be wrong,... but it was the first attempt to right what was an ailing ship in 2015.

The OPs pic is of a regular 2015 model of a Traditional with replacement tuners.

I have said many times about these 2015s and I will say it again..... these guitars often have the most spectacular tops I have seen on regular USA production Les Pauls. This is a beautiful top.
I couldn't quickly find specs on the Sprint, but I think you're correct from my unreliable memory.
But it wasn't first to offer offer alternatives and it wasn't an attempt to right an ailing ship. It was just another dealer spec'd order. Similar to the Trad Pros sold by Musician's Friend and Guitar Center, most of the Trad Pros had slim '60s necks. Dealer ordered models were made every year and 2015 was no different. And those dealer models were never shown on the Gibson web site.

I have a regular 2015 Traditional. Love it for exactly what it is. One massive piece of wood that rings loud and proud due to no weight relief and baseball bat neck, spec'd as a "rounded XL", the fattest of 2015 and with the additional width for 2015, it may be one of the fattest LP necks ever. The '59 pups seem to be a perfect match and make that LP do exactly what a classic LP is supposed to do. It is literally an outstanding LP. But if one can't handle the neck, it won't be a good choice.
Yes, great tops too.

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever it is, get rid of that stand as that's typical plastics that would quickly eat the Gibson lacquer. :)

Justin_Case

Reaction score
The Sprint Run had all the markings of the 2015 Traditional except the Neck Carve and the G-Force. They have the Les Paul Scrawl 100, Hologram, Frets over Binding, Notched Speed Knobs, 59 Tributes and removable Pick Guard.

I've been romancing this one for the last few weeks - converted over to regular knobs, added pointers, amber switch tip and had the 100 scrawl removed for a regular LP Silk Screen. Ditched the Gold Spock's Coffin case for a regular black Gibson LP one. Neck is on the bigger side, but nothing overboard.