2015 Gibson Custom Shop 1968 Les Paul Custom VOS True Historic Spec (Ebony Board)

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
This Gibson Custom Shop 1968 True Historic Reissue “Black Beauty” was the 3rd ever made in 2015, the first year they started making them. Yup, #3 out of the factory. They picked some really good wood for this one, because out of my 4 Les Pauls, this one is the loudest acoustically. It’s super resonant and plays amazingly. You can even see some flame under the black finish in the right light. Action and intonation is spot-on, and it literally never goes out of tune. The sound is very articulate and clear - zero mud - you can hear every note, even while playing power chords. And once you crank up the gain/distortion, this thing truly wails. The Alnico II humbuckers are nice and aggressive with a punchy attack. The long neck tenon and hide glue construction helps give it a ton of sustain. It’s the most unique sounding of all my Les Pauls - it has a ton of character and the best tone from a neck pickup I’ve personally ever had. The ebony board is flawless and looks and feels great. Neck profile is almost identical to my 2003 R9. Killer guitar that weighs 9.5 lbs, perfect weight for a Custom.

It's basically exactly as it came out of the factory. The only thing to note is a small, basically invisible streak on the back of the guitar that you can barely see. It’s not a scratch, it’s just a streak through the VOS gunk they put on the finish to make it look old. It’s basically a "clean" spot, unnoticeable except at a certain angle - you can kinda see it in one of the pics and was there when I bought it new. Keep in mind it’s a VOS guitar made to True Historic specs so it looks aged - the pickguard even came pre-scratched. The hand wet-sanded finish is nice and thin and looks like it’s sunken into the wood and dull like an old guitar should look. The hardware has some aged patina going on. But there are no dents and no scratches through the finish. It’s easily excellent+ condition.

Comes with the brown Lifton case, COA and all case candy.

Full specs here: gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/1968-Les-Paul-Custom-Reissue.aspx

Anyone paying asking price gets free shipping, anyone making an offer pays actual cost for UPS or FedEx Ground (probably around $50). Sorry, this is U.S.-only.

Feel free to ask any questions. I will entertain any reasonable offers. The *only* reason I’m selling is to fund another purchase. If I could, I would keep this thing forever, it’s that great of a guitar and I’m gonna miss it big time!

Asking $5,600.00 or best offer.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I agree. This guitar is basically the perfect Les Paul... it's a special one for sure.

If anyone is concerned because I'm a new member, I just wanted to link to my Ebay feedback - I have 100% positive ratings as a seller (and buyer).
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=crackity-jones&ftab=AllFeedback

It's a sick guitar - I've played one of the new 2018 50th Anniversary models, and this is definitely a step above. You won't be disappointed.

I'm lowering the price to $5100.00! Trying to sell ASAP.

Last edited:

Latest Threads