2015 ES-335 1963 reissue vs. 2017 ES-335 1963 reissue

jwehrman

Reaction score
Pleeeease do not roast me for asking this. I have searched high and low for a similar thread, but no luck. Which is better of the two reissues (2017) 1963 ES or (2015) 1963 ES? I humbly submit any and all opinions. Thank you for your patience in advance.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I doubt you will find much difference between them. The 2017 is newer, thats it as far as I can tell.

TK LP

Reaction score
It probably comes down to the individual guitar. As previously noted, not really any difference between them. Nice guitars either way.

wmachine

Reaction score
Agree with the 2 previous answers. But to clarify, it does appear that a 2015 would be a figured model. And I'm not sure there was a 2017 model, though there were 2016 motels that were made in 2017.
Regardless, the bottom line answer is the same. If at all possible, play them both and pick the best one.

mdubya

Reaction score
Both should have all of the most recent updates for historical accuracy; adirondack spruce bracing, historic truss rod, etc.

I have four ES guitars made between 2012/2013 and 2018. Each is excellent in its own way.

jwehrman

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I know these topics are endless and can get effing tedious. It took me 2 years to finally understand all the LP Custom shop gobbledeegook. I love ES-335's, but not as obsessively as I do LP's. I went with the '17, sight/unseen. I've played on a few different neck shapes here and there, and a couple different lines. But my shop doesn't have the greatest variety of ES's. I have faith this one will do what I want it to do.

mdubya

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I know these topics are endless and can get effing tedious. It took me 2 years to finally understand all the LP Custom shop gobbledeegook. I love ES-335's, but not as obsessively as I do LP's. I went with the '17, sight/unseen. I've played on a few different neck shapes here and there, and a couple different lines. But my shop doesn't have the greatest variety of ES's. I have faith this one will do what I want it to do.

Having a '59 reissue and a Dot Standard with a slim 60's neck makes me want a nice medium '64 neck. I am betting you will love the '63 RI, no matter which one.

The '17 should have the most recent version of the MHS 'buckers. They are more neutral sounding than the earlier ones which were raunchy and bright. Both have their charms (I have both) but I prefer the more recent version. They remind me of Wolftones I have played; sweet and neutral.

jwehrman

Reaction score
Having a '59 reissue and a Dot Standard with a slim 60's neck makes me want a nice medium '64 neck. I am betting you will love the '63 RI, no matter which one.

The '17 should have the most recent version of the MHS 'buckers. They are more neutral sounding than the earlier ones which were raunchy and bright. Both have their charms (I have both) but I prefer the more recent version. They remind me of Wolftones I have played; sweet and neutral.

Sweet and neutral, exactly what I'm looking for in an ES. I get plenty of raunch from my LP's. I'm sure if I wanted to up the raunch, my Fender Tweed Deluxe will get it there.

wmachine

Reaction score

mdubya, he should make sure it is truly a '17 model for it to have those MHS pups. I have my doubts it is. I think it is more likely a '16 model made in '17. If so, it will have the earlier MHS pups.

mdubya

Reaction score
mdubya, he should make sure it is truly a '17 model for it to have those MHS pups. I have my doubts it is. I think it is more likely a '16 model made in '17. If so, it will have the earlier MHS pups.
:yesway:

The model year should be in the COA like so: ES5918HBNH1

When I ordered my guitar, it was supposed to be a 2016 model. There was a mix up in the order and by the time I got the guitar, it was a 2018. :dunno:

I am not sure about the truth behind my guitar or exactly what was going on @ Gibson Memphis, but they were churning out guitars all the time, whether Gibson.com was listing them or not.

I have seen 2017 model reissues. I am not sure when the crossover on updated MHS pickups happened, though. I was just surprised at how different my 2015s and my 2018s sounded. I thought 2016s and up had the updated version.

There is the question of Nashville Custom Shop and Memphis Historic Reissue, too. They are basically the same guitar, each originated in Memphis, and basically comes down to finish, with the Nashville version being less relic'ed from what I can tell.

jwehrman

Reaction score
:yesway:

The model year should be in the COA like so: ES5918HBNH1

When I ordered my guitar, it was supposed to be a 2016 model. There was a mix up in the order and by the time I got the guitar, it was a 2018. :dunno:

I am not sure about the truth behind my guitar or exactly what was going on @ Gibson Memphis, but they were churning out guitars all the time, whether Gibson.com was listing them or not.

I have seen 2017 model reissues. I am not sure when the crossover on updated MHS pickups happened, though. I was just surprised at how different my 2015s and my 2018s sounded. I thought 2016s and up had the updated version.

There is the question of Nashville Custom Shop and Memphis Historic Reissue, too. They are basically the same guitar, each originated in Memphis, and basically comes down to finish, with the Nashville version being less relic'ed from what I can tell.
Interesting, I called Gibson. They verified it was built in '16 with '17 specs. It has the same COA issue detailed above. The two reps I spoke with also verified there was not a change in the pickups between 2015 - 2017.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Interesting, I called Gibson. They verified it was built in '16 with '17 specs. It has the same COA issue detailed above. The two reps I spoke with also verified there was not a change in the pickups between 2015 - 2017.
Never fear. These were generally excellent guitars through that entire period.

I just played my 2015 ES Les Paul (MHS I, Adirondack Spruce, Historic truss rod, etc.) and it is awesome. I played my '59 ES 335 RI yesterday, and it is awesome, too! Each shines in a different way.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that the two best humbuckers Gibson ever did (MHS and 59Tribute), arent available after market.