2014 Traditional Pro II info??????????

Figo

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to get some info about the 2014 Traditional Pro II and it seems almost impossible to find something about this guitar.

I bought mine a couple of months ago and really loved it since the moment I played it, I had the chance to try a 2014 Classic, a 2013 Traditional Pro,a 2014 Traditional Pro II & a 2013 & 2014 Traditional's, and the winner by far was the TPII.

I've read that some models have 60's neck and some have 50's, mine is a Heritage Cherry Sunburst which supposed to have a 50's neck, but to be honest I can't feel to much difference between this neck and the neck of my Epiphone Slash AFD (which have a Slim Asymmetrical neck), which makes me wonder if the info about this guitar is accurate? since there is no info in Gibson's webpage.

Another thing that I would like to know is if this guitar is Weight Relieved??? what I've read is that it has the "traditional weight relief body" but mine weights 9.6lb and I really doubt that it has any weight relief since it weights similar as most Traditional's & on Gibson's webpage it says that the Traditional's are non weight relieved.

I'm wondering if Gibson's Quality Control really checks what body is used on their guitars since this is not the first time that I know about guitars that supposed to have 1 body and is build with another one, this situation drives my last question... the TPII models are considered to be real Traditional's? I thought that the TP & TPII's were lower models than the Traditional but know with this findings I don't know what to think?. Money wise mine is around $600 cheaper than a 2014 Traditional and I don't think that this huge difference in price is only because the back of the guitar not being lacquered and the tunners (which I believe mine are better than the Vintage tunners on the Traditional's).

Do you think that my guitar has an incorrect body? that supposed to be a Traditional but ended being a TPII? if this is the case, shame on you Gibson your Quality Control sucks!!!!! but at the same time thank you for giving me such an amazing guitar!!!!!!!!!!

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
I have two trad pro II's and they are in fact traditional weight relief, as are both my 2000 and 2002 standards, but all of them weigh in at over 9 pounds. The 50's neck on the trad pro II is a lot like the 50's neck on my 2000 and 2002 standard, it is a slim 50's neck, but not as wide as a 60's neck. They come with a super 57 in the bridge, and w 57 Classic in the neck. I swapped mine out to burstbucker 3's in the bridge. They are not in fact traditionals, they are a lower model line technically speaking, but to me they are both amazing les Paul's, the only really different I see is that a traditional has no weight relief, and a gloss finish front, back, and sides. Other than that I would put my trad pros up against and other gibson.
I have since added chrome covers, tone pros locking bridges, and locking tailpiece studs, as well as a graph tech nut and saddles. I also swapped out the A2 magnet in the burstbucker 3 with an A5 and they sound unbelievable now!!! Both mine are 60's necks.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
I, for one, don't find a huge difference between the modern Gibson neck profiles they call "50s" and "60s." One is a little thicker/thinner than the other and that's all my hands can tell.

R8 Pilot

Reaction score
I have 2 Trad Pro 11's one being a 60's neck and the other a 50's

The 50's neck is just a bit thicker on the back but still has a similar playing feel to the 60's.

They are all traditional weight relived,have nibs,no etune and will stack up against any Gibson out there aside from a well put together custom imo.

Keep it... as one of these was one of my first Gibson's and I have had many different more expensive Gibson models come through my house since and moved them on as I found I kept playing my Trad Pro 11 most of the time as my go to guitar daily.

Its why a bought a second and will probably buy a third.

As a sum whole they are a great model and as the 2015 sags unfolds..they almost look and feel like a historic Gibson from the "good old days"

tzd

Reaction score
I've read that some models have 60's neck and some have 50's, mine is a Heritage Cherry Sunburst which supposed to have a 50's neck, but to be honest I can't feel to much difference between this neck and the neck of my Epiphone Slash AFD (which have a Slim Asymmetrical neck), which makes me wonder if the info about this guitar is accurate? since there is no info in Gibson's webpage.

Your Heritage Cherry Sunburst should be 50's neck. I wouldn't compare it with an Epiphone, I find Epiphone Les Paul necks to be fatter generally, except for the Tribute Plus which is very thin.

Another thing that I would like to know is if this guitar is Weight Relieved??? what I've read is that it has the "traditional weight relief body" but mine weights 9.6lb and I really doubt that it has any weight relief since it weights similar as most Traditional's & on Gibson's webpage it says that the Traditional's are non weight relieved.

It is traditional weight relieved with swiss cheese holes.

my last question... the TPII models are considered to be real Traditional's? I thought that the TP & TPII's were lower models than the Traditional but know with this findings I don't know what to think?.

Your TPII is a real TPII. Don't confuse that with a Traditional. They are totally different. If anything, they are the most similar to the original Traditional Pro. It has the same body as the Traditional Pro, but the Traditional Pro only came in 60s neck, and has different bridge pickup and no DB boost.

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
IMO/IME as a Trad pro owner.

The biggest difference between these and a traditional is finish Satin vs Gloss (slightly cheaper to do)
Slightly less attention to detail on the Plek of the frets, nut and saddles (quicker to do and time is money)
Slightly lower grade maple generally used for the tops, purely aesthetic but you don's see as much flame in the tops on the trad pros (lower grade maple is slightly cheaper

all the trad pro are 9 hole, Swiss cheese weight relieved
The electronics on any Les Paul model can be easily set up to have any combination of push pulls, in/out phase, coil splits, take the pots out of the circuit, add a boost etc etc etc

Mine has nibs and a rosewood FB but it's a v1 frm 2012

Sournote

Reaction score
IMO/IME as a Trad pro owner.

The biggest difference between these and a traditional is finish Satin vs Gloss (slightly cheaper to do)
Slightly less attention to detail on the Plek of the frets, nut and saddles (quicker to do and time is money)
Slightly lower grade maple generally used for the tops, purely aesthetic but you don's see as much flame in the tops on the trad pros (lower grade maple is slightly cheaper

all the trad pro are 9 hole, Swiss cheese weight relieved
The electronics on any Les Paul model can be easily set up to have any combination of push pulls, in/out phase, coil splits, take the pots out of the circuit, add a boost etc etc etc

Mine has nibs and a rosewood FB but it's a v1 frm 2012

^ This plus sales volume. The TP's are special runs for GC/MF that probably orders them by the truckload which helps with production and inventory costs. That likely helps keep the unit cost low so GC can sell a bunch of them.

I think they fill a nice niche in the product line. Studios are a great sounding low frills axe, but if you want the aesthetics of a Standard, but can't or don't want to spend the coin, TP's are a great option.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score

The figuring does vary from guitar to guitar in the Trad Pro line but is you look enough you can find the nice ones of the bunch.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just picked this one up a little while ago - no cheap top here....

depsqgi52tz884tnaotf.jpg
88luwiy.jpg[/IMG]

rnow3i1lhh4tw88luwiy.jpg

Latest Threads