2014 SG question

Sillyam

Reaction score
I have a potential trade lined up for a 2014 SG Standard. Only it looks different than other 2014 Standards.

The Gibson website has half size pick guards on the 2014 Standards.

This one has a full pick guard. Yes it is a 2014 and has the 12th fret inlay.

I looked around and zzounds had 2014 Standards that look exactly like the one I'm looking at. Was the full pick guard a limited run sort of thing? Dealer exclusive?

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I have a potential trade lined up for a 2014 SG Standard. Only it looks different than other 2014 Standards.

The Gibson website has half size pick guards on the 2014 Standards.

This one has a full pick guard. Yes it is a 2014 and has the 12th fret inlay.

I looked around and zzounds had 2014 Standards that look exactly like the one I'm looking at. Was the full pick guard a limited run sort of thing? Dealer exclusive?

That's the batwing pickguard SG Standard, which they still make. The only limited edition thing about that one is it has the commemorative fretboard inlay at the 12th fret. That model differs from the '61 model in that it has a rounded 50's neck profile, where the small guard version has a slim taper neck. I have a '92 batwing Standard in a limited Blue Metallic finish, with nickel hardware (that one has chrome).
Al

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
2014 SG Standard 120
Batwing

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard-120.aspx

2014 SG Standard
Small Guard

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/SG-Standard.aspx

2014 Limited Edition SG Standard 24
Batwing
Mini Humbucker at neck position
No 120th at 12th fret
24 frets

Sillyam

Reaction score
I had just figured it out and was coming back to report my findings, but you beat me to it!

They did a Standard and a Standard 120 that year (despite the whole line having a 120 fret inlay that year - Gibson does weird stuff.) And the one I am looking at is a Standard 120.

Thanks all!

Sillyam

Reaction score

I got the guitar. My first SG. It plays superb, a lot like my LP, but feels a lot different. I love how it feels sitting down, love the weight standing up, but it does balance different than an LP. No neck dive but feels way different. Sounds great. Nice guitar! I do feel like tearing out the PCB though. My heart says PCBs have no place inside a guitar.

zombiwoof

Reaction score

I got the guitar. My first SG. It plays superb, a lot like my LP, but feels a lot different. I love how it feels sitting down, love the weight standing up, but it does balance different than an LP. No neck dive but feels way different. Sounds great. Nice guitar! I do feel like tearing out the PCB though. My heart says PCBs have no place inside a guitar.
If you had bought a used recent one, or an earlier one, it would have no PC board. I don't know how much you paid for that one though. I don't remember when they started using the PC boards, but my '92 doesn't have them.
A

Latest Threads