2014 Gibson LPS Lite, Heritage Cherry without coil split switch. Two questions.

jm55

Reaction score
I am considering a 2014 Les Paul Standard Lite in Heritage Cherry that is for sale locally. I think the price is fair, but I would have liked to know a bit more about the guitar. I cannot find a single reference on the internet about this guitar. The closest I came was one that was for sale on reverb, see here: https://reverb.com/ca/item/6837740-2014-gibson-les-paul-standard-lite-plain-top-limited-run

...which is virtually the same as the one I'm looking at, but it has a coil split switch where the neck treble pot would normally be, as do all other LPS lite's I could find pages for at Sweetwater Musician's friend etc. The one I'm looking at has four pots. It's a cool looking Les Paul, with slab sawn top with some interesting figure. Anyone here own one from those years that doesn't have the switch? I can't figure out why this one doesn't have the switch since all other Lite's do.

I'm also wondering how these Lite's sound. I know there's some older posts about Lite's, but I'm curious to get some fresh insight.

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
thin LPs with a belly cut are where its at. I wish mine had BBs.

iys easy enough to ream the hole and install a regular pot, which is what I'd bet, but why don't you ask the seller?

jm55

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll ask the seller, but I didn't get the impression he knew much about it. I suppose it's possible that the previous owner to the current seller might have removed the switch and installed a tone pot, but for some reason it seems unlikely. Do you notice a big difference between your Lite and normal LPS's? If there's a shift in tone due to construction, is it possible to describe?

MSB

Reaction score
if he doesn't know, he's either lying or too stupid, neither of which I'd do business with. Pictures could clear up a few things.

I've got a Les +, which it seems is like the version of the guitar you're looking at, but with the '15 appointments. It has pickups that I don't personally care for, but I go to it every time because its so comfortable. Especially if you play any sitting down, once I go back to my other Lps, I'm fighting the guitar constantly.

get a '14 MM too, while you're at it.

MSB

Reaction score
Melody Maker, if you like the specs of that guitar, you might like them, though the colors aren't great, refinishing is always an option.

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
Different pickups, but I have a 2013 Custom Lite that originally had the 3-knob setup with coil split. I did not find the mini toggle coil split very useful, so I changed it to a traditional 4-knob setup with 50s style wiring. I had the volume knobs changed to push/pulls to retain the coil split functionality. The coil split is only really noticeable when the volume is rolled off.

Hope this helps.
-Jay

jm55

Reaction score
Different pickups, but I have a 2013 Custom Lite that originally had the 3-knob setup with coil split. I did not find the mini toggle coil split very useful, so I changed it to a traditional 4-knob setup with 50s style wiring. I had the volume knobs changed to push/pulls to retain the coil split functionality. The coil split is only really noticeable when the volume is rolled off.

Hope this helps.
-Jay
I thought I read somewhere that the Lite's came with Burstbucker Pro, but Pro's are appparently 2 conductor wire, and I peeked in the control cavity of this one and these pickups are 4 conductor. Do you know what kind of pickups the Lite's have?

jaycoyoyo

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the Lite's came with Burstbucker Pro, but Pro's are appparently 2 conductor wire, and I peeked in the control cavity of this one and these pickups are 4 conductor. Do you know what kind of pickups the Lite's have?
Mine has 490R/498T. I am not a big fan of the 498T and will probably swap both out at some point for some lower output PAF-style.

-Jay