2013 R9 pots are they junk?

roeg

Reaction score
Many people would say that the old Centralab pots that Gibson used in the 50's Les Pauls, were absolutely ideal as far as the taper is concerned, in that they had a really slow taper. Typically at around 60% rotation, they only supplied around 10-20% volume.

Slow taper pots are cool in that they give you a wider range of "clean to mean" tones, and typically allow you to clean up the tone more, while still having the pot set at a higher volume setting.

PotTaperComparisons.jpg

What is very interesting to note is that comparison between the current Gibson branded CTS pots supplied in the 2009-2013 Historic's and the old Centralab pots from the 50's. The standard Historic pots have the closest taper compared to the old Centralab pots of the 50's, than have ever been supplied before, and are certainly much closer in taper than any of the aftermarket pots that are included on this comparison graph.

Anyway, that's my 2c. Use it, don't use it.

nicely done!:applause:.Absolutely mirrors what comes out of my 2010 and 2011 Historics.As a player i love the small incremental changes in tone i can get from that non-linear facet.
Perhaps the op would prefer a linear Audio taper pot.

blackie2

Reaction score
My response was aimed at the OP, but anyhoo...

I think it's safe to say then that '50's wiring isn't for you. :D
Sorry I misread your statement. Didn't mean to sound snippy at all. I just like a more even increase in volume.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! Thanx for posting, corroborates what I expirenced with my "Shanks" I like the extra kick at 8-10 if used properly can be a very dynamic tool. The Custom Buckers like it better than the Joe B's

Frogfur

Reaction score
Damn straights they're junk!...dumb question.

mfolet

Reaction score
As a working musician the pots work flawless for me.A single channel non master Amp and a delay is all you need,

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
What about the perceived treble dump? Not sure the graph will show that. When you roll off a volume pot the signal should decrease and not choke treble out the way the Gibson pots do...

That's my experience. I don't have a graph but I know what I'm hearing.

MiniB

Reaction score
What about the perceived treble dump? Not sure the graph will show that. When you roll off a volume pot the signal should decrease and not choke treble out the way the Gibson pots do...

That's my experience. I don't have a graph but I know what I'm hearing.

It shouldn't be as much when wired 50's style. It still happens a bit, but it's actually pleasing especially when the amp is turned up. Non-50's wiring seems to roll off a lot more. I'm not sure that Historic's came stock with 50's wiring before a few years ago, or at least pre-2009.

Rodmac

Reaction score
My '10 R8 pots work in the same fashion. Similarly thought something was wrong, but my '62 SG Jnrs pots do the same as does my '59 LP Jnr.

That Original '58 in the video, what a combination - LP / Old Marshall & Cab killer.

With regard to Qlty of pots I don't think Gibson would use sub standard pots on their C/S Guitars especially nor standard prod guitars for that matter made in the USA.

OBX351

Reaction score
I've upgraded the pots and the caps with great success with PIO caps and measured 550k 10% CTS pots from Martin's Six String Customs. I recently bought a '11 or '12 VOS SG Special. The pots made a lot of noise and the guitar was a little muddy sounding. I called MSSC and they sent me a new harness. Now it really sings. Their PIO caps really make a difference in tone.

jlb32

Reaction score
These guitars are reissues so obviously a lot of the features are going to be similar to the original 50's models.

I personally like the pots, especially once I got use to the taper and where the sweet spots are to get the tones I like.

Plenty of linear taper pot replacements out there if you really hate the audio tapers.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Damn straights they're junk!...dumb question.

No, you have it wrong. Good question, followed by your normal juvenile, dumb response.

IMO, they are very hit and miss. Most times (8 out of 10), I end up replacing them. I do gig them, and I find what you are talking about both common, and annoying, regardless of vintage accuracy. I use the volume and tone pots A LOT.

I have had really good ones too. My aged Bonamassa is unique in that it tapers in volume perfectly, but doesn't really "clean up" as you roll it down. The Shanks I had that Sct13 now has was AWESOME. So is the Sandy.

Anyhow, I really believe it is luck of the draw. I use RS's Vintage kit, and I have been pleased every time. I'm sure the others mentioned here are great too, and I have been tempted to give them a go.

Bottom line is, I would just replace them. Again, sounds like you and I are on the same page as far as what you are looking for out of the guitar, and I can safely recommend the RS vintage kit. Give them a call first too, they were super cool when I called them. Very happy to answer all of my questions.

It does suck spending that much $ and having to spend more, but, like some have posted here, I think this may be the way they are "supposed" to be.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome!

Marshallow

Reaction score
While the audio pots have been inconsistent since their introduction in 2009, the good ones really do the job well for those guys who enjoy controlling all from their fingertips.

Some audio pots I've tried in the last four years would thin out the tone which isn't meant to happen. But my Joe Perry's pots are excellent, tone at all levels.

Before cursing Gibson, try to increase the gain on your amps until u get a nice crunch at 7 on your volume pot. Good pots will let you have a clean tone on 2-3 and a big lead tone on 10.

In a live situation, I found the audio to work better than the linear to boost leads without an extra pedal. Remember that in the good old days, there was no master volume and people would play their amps on 10, thus the need for a larger palette on the pots.

And yes, your pots might be bad, it's an annoying but easy fix.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
wow guys lots of good info . thanks.I have years of playing experience on 50's gibsons and have owned several of these reissues. so its not my lack of experience with 50s wiring etc. i know what i like and these pots suck! funny my 1952 les paul with original pots and wiring has a smooth taper with no bump on the volume pots.played it last night just to be sure after reading the stuff here. the drop in volume is so dramatic below 8 its like the dam thing disappears. my gigs are all fairly low volume affairs. blues/jazz. not worried about distorted rock tones etc. its impossible to do a vol. swell or adjust for dynamics. I'll call curt at the Hog today and see what he recomends. I'll also call gibson . likely I'll just get an aftermarket set for it. not much worried about future warranty stuff. if there was a structural problem with the instrument then i think it would have shown up by now. very nicely made guitar. top reminds me of my old burst which is the reason I bought it. [nice] overall happy with it.front pickup is very brite ,not sure about these new pups. thanks again for all the input guys. jk

Latest Threads