2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

cristi tanasescu

Reaction score
2013 trads have absolutely hit the friggin jackpot. 57 classics, as the name suggests, are for blues. The guitar isn't weight relieved at all, which means the sound will be less brighter, a fuller sound. Standards are great too, but between a tele and a trad, I'd go with the latter.

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest getting both, but I think that the Traditional is a more versatile choice here. I love mine, but it is VERY heavy. I can't stand weight-relieved guitars. They just don't sound right to me.

Here's a shot of mine in Caramel:

rangerjay-albums-ranger-jay-s-tool-box-picture60354-2013-gibson-les-paul-traditional.jpg

Kossoff6

Reaction score
2013 Traditionals are one of the best guitars Gibson has out right now(next to the historics) Most bang for your buck I'd say. Everything you could ask for in a new Les Paul. Nice chunky late 50's neck, warm 57 calssics, nob pointers, solid one piece mahogany body, and a one piece rosewood fingerboard. They really got it right this year. Just wish they still had the cherry backs and "ice tea" finish--although "carmel burst" can be close. If your going to buy brand new---get the Traditional. If your going to buy used--definitely get a 58 or 59 reissue.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Trad's are cool..
null_zpsc76a9132.jpg

I love Tele's too though. If I could only have one I'd get the trad, and add a coil splitting function.. That's just how I roll....

tcdrover

Reaction score
I have both. I have a 2004 or 2005 American standard tele which sounds great. I put a Rutter's bridge on it. It really sounds sweet.

The Les Paul is a much more comfortable guitar for me to play though.

I'm not a fan of the wider fretboard on the tele, but it can get really great sounds.

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note, I like my Tele. It has a nice feature where you can turn up the tone knob, and it completely bypasses the tone circuit. I'm not sure what pickups it has in it, but they are really good for what I want to do with them. Going back to the original post, I would wonder about intonation on that particular guitar selection. My Tele has independent saddle adjustments for each string. Don't think I could live without that. YMMV, of course.

rangerjay-albums-ranger-jay-s-tool-box-picture60359-1998-fender-american-standard-telecaster.jpg

Johnny Free

Reaction score
The tops on the Traditionals are really awesome. Tons of character, great finish choises and flame patterns. The only problem (for me) is that they are really heavy (being non weight relieved), so if you are a fan af the resonant and light sound of the Telecaster, I would suggest to consider a used R8. Still a non weight relieved guitar but with superior and lighter wood, you have a lighter and a tad more resonant instrument.

See for yourself if you prefer a modern day spec Les Paul over a vintage spec one (completely different worlds) and make your choice!

(Tele for jazz?? Naaahh!!! Jazz demands mahogany bodies and nice, flamboyant flamed maple tops!! :cool:)

Lolly

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Trad and I love it: sounds great and the huge neck is killer IMO

entresz

Reaction score
Just my 2c worth; I think the LP would be a better jazz/blues guitar than the Tele. Tele's do that think well, but for jazz at least, the LP would sound best.

jc2000

Reaction score
Traditional seems to be the most popular and their a great guitar for the price, but personally If I had a chance to get an R8 I would grab it.

Latest Threads