2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

montykohn

Reaction score
Anybody own a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional?

I found 3 today at a local shop. I played them all and one in particular felt great and sounded great also.

I have heard that the 2013 Traditionals are non-weight relieved. The necks I know are 50's style - which I like also.

Now I have to decide whether I should go with another guitar I found and love also. It's a Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster thin-skin nitro guitar.

I am sure many will recommend the LP. But, I play mostly jazz and blues and all my friends think a Tele would be better in that case.

diddy123ize

Reaction score
I have a 2013 trad... great guitar. couldn't recommend one enough, a pickup swap may be due but they are great guitars, good for jazz or blues. For me, a Tele is something used for open g... Keef style

EDDiE1

Reaction score
Hey, would you choose this new Traditional 2013 with nice flame top or custom 1958 plain top ?

tallpaul

Reaction score
i got a 2013 trad and it's awesome! great for blues and jazz!

montykohn

Reaction score
I have a 2013 trad... great guitar. couldn't recommend one enough, a pickup swap may be due but they are great guitars, good for jazz or blues. For me, a Tele is something used for open g... Keef style

Pickup swap? I don't think so..... They are Gibson '57 pups and they sounded great.

Gyroman

Reaction score
It seems the majority of new guitar threads recently are 2013 Trads. You are correct in assuming they're non weight relieved. They're nicely put together and some of the tops I've seen have been stunning. As for whether or not it's better than the Tele for jazz, only you can decide that; but bear in mind that Les Paul himself was a jazz guitarist :thumb:

Here's a gratuitous pic of mine:
DSC_0026_zps36d99ea0.jpg

Telephant

Reaction score
I own both and I vote LP.

Gyroman, that LP above is gorgeous man! That finish looks really close to mine! :dude:

Gyroman

Reaction score
I own both and I vote LP.

Gyroman, that LP above is gorgeous man! That finish looks really close to mine! :dude:

Thanks Telephant! :) It's a Light Burst, and it seems to change appearance from different angles and in different light. When I look down at it when I'm playing, I just can't help but smile.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Don't think you're going to get many votes for the Tele over a Trad here on a Les Paul forum.

Telephant

Reaction score
Thanks Telephant! :) It's a Light Burst, and it seems to change appearance from different angles and in different light. When I look down at it when I'm playing, I just can't help but smile.
I noticed the different angles thing too. And in some pics mine will look a lot more red than it really is.

Even when I'm not playing mine I'll keep the case open and just stare lovingly at it... :thumb:

garweft

Reaction score
If you plan to gig with it, and stand up while playing, I'd go tele. All other cases I would pick which ever felt and sounded better.

montykohn

Reaction score
Nice pics! Sounds great! They are beautiful guitars and sound great for the price!

JM2112

Reaction score
Anybody own a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional?

I found 3 today at a local shop. I played them all and one in particular felt great and sounded great also.

I have heard that the 2013 Traditionals are non-weight relieved. The necks I know are 50's style - which I like also.

Now I have to decide whether I should go with another guitar I found and love also. It's a Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster thin-skin nitro guitar.

I am sure many will recommend the LP. But, I play mostly jazz and blues and all my friends think a Tele would be better in that case.

LP's are great for blues, and especially an LP with Classic 57's pickups! If you found one that feels great then what are you waiting for, buy it! :slap:

Another great guitar for blues and jazz would be an ES... :thumb:

Xyrium

Reaction score
Man, I'm going to get blasted for this. Jackson Soloist SL1, single coil neck pickup. Damn, hot as heck!

DADGAD

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 2012 Trad. Neck isn't as huge as I thought and the tops on them are to die for. I would have killed to own one when I started playing but pointy guitars were in fashion then.

in2madness

Reaction score
I own a 58 CS Tele that's a great guitar.....but I always prefer playing my Les Paul. One of my best friends owns a 55 CS Les Paul but prefers playing his 51 Nocaster. I hope this was helpful:)

jeebus2002

Reaction score
jeebus2002-albums-2013-trad-profile-picture58352-20130620-164520.jpg

Love love love love my 13' trad. Threw some ReWind PAFs in there...man...it really is a poor man's historic. A side note...the "50s neck" on the 13 trads is a bit chunkier than the normal 50s neck. It isn't uncomfortable, quite the opposite. But compared to an older standard (belonging to a friend) with a "50s neck" the Trad was quite noticeably different.

Latest Threads