2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional finish issue.

2Blueforone

Reaction score
Recently acquired this guitar. Have kept it in case when not in use...pulled it out today and noticed alot of small holes in the nitro on the maple top. Any ideas why this is happening?...
20210418_135946_resize_55.jpg

Attachments

• 20210425_044755_resize_31.jpg
    20210425_044755_resize_31.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210425_044225_resize_98.jpg
    20210425_044225_resize_98.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 113

Pancreas

Reaction score
Recently acquired this guitar. Have kept it in case when not in use...pulled it out today and noticed alot of small holes in the nitro on the maple top. Any ideas why this is happening?... View attachment 533715
That's very strange, is it a factory Gibson case? I always keep my guitars on stands and only use the cases for transport. Critters (bugs) in the case fabric maybe?

2Blueforone

Reaction score
Good morning...yes the ohsc, no bugs...have one cat who sprays periodically but that smell is unmistakable so I don't think that's it..may have to bring guitar CSI to swab it lol...trying to make light of it but I have a lot I'd money tied up here so it is a disconcerting development to say the least. From the many holes/ bubbles it does look like spillage...About all I drink is water, coffee, a beer with dinner...any of those toxic to nitro in case some got on it somehow?

2Blueforone

Reaction score
LMAO...! Grey's or Reptilians?..Just don't drag x-girlfriends into it or things could get messy...

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Based on all the marks / holes being tear drop shaped and all going in the same direction, it seems to me that some sort of liquid or an aerosol made contact with the top. Looks more like a chemical interaction than any sort of physical contact mark.

1619363789677.png

2Blueforone

Reaction score
Good ideas all....Busy with a few things...I will try cleaning when back home in a bit...

2Blueforone

Reaction score
Ok took some naptha and soft cotton cloth and tried cleaning the marks...no dice...I think the nitro has lifted in those areas.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Good morning...yes the ohsc, no bugs...have one cat who sprays periodically but that smell is unmistakable so I don't think that's it..may have to bring guitar CSI to swab it lol...trying to make light of it but I have a lot I'd money tied up here so it is a disconcerting development to say the least. From the many holes/ bubbles it does look like spillage...About all I drink is water, coffee, a beer with dinner...any of those toxic to nitro in case some got on it somehow?
I would be frustrated too. I'm very curious to hear what caused this. It appears to be contaminates under the nitro finally coming to light.

Gar

Reaction score
If that was my house it would be caused by my wife spraying cleaning chemicals willy nilly.

2Blueforone

Reaction score
No sanitizer on it...I do the cleaning so no cleaning products causing it..The rubbing of the cloth knocked down the edges of the spots a little..guessing I was just moving nitro around...Not sweat, sweat like a dog at work but not so much at home...guess I could try something grittier...wax maybe...rubbing compound...I know I want to be careful as not to be so aggressive to cause more damage...

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
No sanitizer on it...I do the cleaning so no cleaning products causing it..The rubbing of the cloth knocked down the edges of the spots a little..guessing I was just moving nitro around...Not sweat, sweat like a dog at work but not so much at home...guess I could try something grittier...wax maybe...rubbing compound...I know I want to be careful as not to be so aggressive to cause more damage...

I would bring it to an experienced luthier or builder who has worked with Nitro before.
You don't want to experiment and create swirls or worse.
My two cents.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Reaction score
¿Yea I imagine it can be drop filled, sanded cut n buffed to a perfect finish again?

integra evan

Reaction score
You said you drank beer around it?
Alcohol will react with nitro

Latest Threads