2012 w pics, help i.d.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good friend has this for sale and I'm hustling up the cash. Here are a few pics , all I know its a 2012, in near new condition. I've just never seen one come with black Pickguard and pickup rings etc.

Any insight from the experts???

IMG956966(1).png
IMG956966(1).png

IMG_6964.jpg
IMG_9619.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg
IMG_6965.jpg

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I know just enough to get into trouble.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the neck profile would be.

And yes, the plastics were added.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the neck profile would be.

And yes, the plastics were added.
According to the current owner (second) that's exactly how it came. There's a little story to that but will get it in hand before I share that. Besides, never buy the story, always buy the guitar lol

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Traditional would have / had pickup covers.
And cream plastics.....this is obviously not factory. Though albeit that the covers could have been removed rather than the pickups replaced.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2019 Trads have the ABR1

From the Gibson page: 2019 Trad

"For 2019 the New Gibson Les Paul Traditional is available in 2 gorgeous finishes; Heritage Cherry Sunburst and Tobacco Burst. Based on the Les Paul guitar that established the legend, with the power, look, and feel of the world's most desirable dual-humbucker electric guitar. The Les Paul Traditional retains the archetypal feel of the vintage Les Paul guitars in its rounded neck profile, solid rosewood fingerboard and non-weight relieved body. Traditional looks are complemented by the legendary tonewood combination of a mahogany body and AA figured maple top, Vintage Keystone tuners, ABR-1 Tune-o-matic bridge "

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was gifted to a Gibson employee, it's as it was received and basically unplayed since then. Will get some better pics tommorow.

That said , like stated earlier I'm buying the guitar on its own merrits, no other reason.

Gonna be interesting seeing what pickups etc are in it. Will likely put cream bezels and poker chip as I like that look better.

Leee

Reaction score
Was gifted to a Gibson employee
Well hell, THAT changes everything!!!

It didn't go out the back door into a truck.
It didn't go out the front door to a celebrity.

It went out the side door with a Gibson employee!

If you had some latitude to wander around the Gibson factory and scrounge up parts, what would YOUR Les Paul look like?

I have a bit of experience with a guitar that was even more of an oddball, most likely built by an employee.
An SG 12-string, and definitely one of a kind.
Had a 12 neck from an EDS-1275 set into the weirdest SG body ever.
The bridge was moved WAY back there to retain a 24.75" scale length with the stubby neck.
Built in 1995, I got it out of the same private collection as my Black Beauty a few years later.

Alas, it was never played.
So I sold it to a collector in the San Francisco area around 2013.

KS 5150

Reaction score
If we're getting picky, I don't think it's a Trad. The new regime came in at the beginning of 2019, and immediately discontinued Traditionals (NAMM 2019). It was made too late into 2019 to be a Trad. It's likely a Standard of some sort, imo.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we're getting picky, I don't think it's a Trad. The new regime came in at the beginning of 2019, and immediately discontinued Traditionals (NAMM 2019). It was made too late into 2019 to be a Trad. It's likely a Standard of some sort, imo.
It is possible it could be one of the Modern Collection Standards which came with the Nashville bridge,...but it would be missing all the other Modern features like the contoured heel. Or it's like the OP said and it's a pieced together one off made for an employee,..therefore having no family to fit.

Overture

Reaction score
Made in August 2019 based on that serial number. The Finish/Pots/Wiring/Tuners make me think Standard 50's...but then everything else is either changed before or after it was put together.

Curious to see what this ends up being.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Well hell, THAT changes everything!!!

It didn't go out the back door into a truck.
It didn't go out the front door to a celebrity.

It went out the side door with a Gibson employee!

If you had some latitude to wander around the Gibson factory and scrounge up parts, what would YOUR Les Paul look like?

I have a bit of experience with a guitar that was even more of an oddball, most likely built by an employee.
An SG 12-string, and definitely one of a kind.
Had a 12 neck from an EDS-1275 set into the weirdest SG body ever.
The bridge was moved WAY back there to retain a 24.75" scale length with the stubby neck.
Built in 1995, I got it out of the same private collection as my Black Beauty a few years later.

Alas, it was never played.
So I sold it to a collector in the San Francisco area around 2013.
Someone that used to post here years ago had a 12 string sg. Also supposedly one of a kind. This was before 2013. Dunno if he got banned or left, but he's still out there on other forums. Or at least he was a few years ago.

Leee

Reaction score
Probably the same guitar...

:doh: :naughty:

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ran up last night after work to pick it up north of Nashville. It is definitely a "employee gift" from Gibson for xxxx amount of service. The guy I bought it from I've known 15 or so years, he's good friends with the employee it was given to. They did some trading and this guitar was used as down payment on an antique car. He gave me the name of the employee and date it was gifted to them, but I won't disclose that.

Any how , didn't get home till 3:30am so been dog tired all day. I was able to play it just a bit and really impressed in every facet. I'm not sure what carve this neck is but it's perfect for me, not too thin but plenty contour, actually feels like shallow C if that makes sense.

Weight is around 9- 9.5 , and I'm purely guessing. Will actually weigh tommorow.

Fit/finish is pretty damn good. Not absolutely perfect but close. Much better then many I've seen or looked over closely.

Really hard to get pics but has some really nice chetoyance and color, deceptively beautiful that I can't capture in a photo.

I ordered some cream plastic from creamtone but honestly I'm liking the oddball black the more I look at it.

Will pull pickups and get pics of inside in a few days. I'm most interested in what pickups are installed.

Would yall leave as is or go w cream ?? The jack plate is chrome so that will stay as is regardless as I love steel jackplate.

A few quick picks , really like the neck carve and neck /headstock transition-

Screenshot_20210929-165317_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-165327_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-165138_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-165155_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-165229_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-165113_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210929-165011_Gallery.jpg

Leee

Reaction score
I'll second that.
Just pull the pickguard off.
:lol:

That's a lot of black with the single-ply pickguard and the bobbins exposed.
I prefer chrome covers - and that way the rings and poker chip wouldn't overpower it visually.
I'm not really a fan of cream plastics but they look fine on a burst.

Look, plastic is cheap.
Buy a different guard and some cream plastics.
Take some before and after pics.

Make up your mind.
You have a pretty slick guitar there - make it YOURS.

Latest Threads