2012 Traditional Faded - 2 Guitars made 2 Days Apart!

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
I thought some folks here might find this interesting...two faded Honeyburst Les Pauls that were (as far as I understand) a part of a limited run for the Canadian Music chain Long and McQuade.

The first picture (darker finish) was listed as being made on Sept 5th 2012, and the 2nd picture (lighter finish) is listed as Sept 7th 2012.

They look even more dissimilar in person, my camera makes everything look too vivid so I've tried to tone the colors down. But the Sep7 light one has practically no burst in most light. It's almost just a yellow top. The Sep 5 darker one is much richer in color, way more burst differentiation.

Anyhow, I thought readers might find it interesting - they're supposed to be the same finish, yet its remarkable just how different a finisher might spray a guitar. I assume it was two different employees in the Spray booth those two days...?

20220627_085104.jpg
20220627_085154.jpg

KevinB

Reaction score
Is it possible that one was exposed to more sunlight?

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
Is it possible that one was exposed to more sunlight?
You know, that did occur to me. So they could fade that much? The rest of the Sept 7 "light" guitar had mojo to match its fade...lots of wear, buckle rash, it looked awesome

Mind you, almost all the pictures on the internet I see of the L+M Limited Run Faded Honeyburst are pale yellow. Very little burst. It's almost as if my Sept 5th "rich-honeyburst" is the anomaly?

StubbyJ

Reaction score
You know, that did occur to me. So they could fade that much? The rest of the Sept 7 "light" guitar had mojo to match its fade...lots of wear, buckle rash, it looked awesome

Mind you, almost all the pictures on the internet I see of the L+M Limited Run Faded Honeyburst are pale yellow. Very little burst. It's almost as if my Sept 5th "rich-honeyburst" is the anomaly?
Pull the guards....what color lurks beneath.

darkvoice

Reaction score
Guitars in OP look very similar to Guitar Center's model

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro V Satin Iced Tea​

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
Get out. I have a 2012 Faded Trad too, and if my math is right, mine was made on Sept 6th (250th day of 2012), smack in the middle lol. Mine is darker, like the top one.
Yes, it sure is similar. I bet we had the same person doing the same Honeyburst spraying.

(In contrast to most of the Limited run pics I see which are pretty much lemon burst.)

StubbyJ

Reaction score
Wait, how does this even happen? Unless you just ordered two and they made them back to back?
I purchase one from Dave's in LaX and one used from a guy in Florida. Gibby sent them to various dealers. I just happened to buy consecutive numbers.......

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
Guitars in OP look very similar to Guitar Center's model

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro V Satin Iced Tea​

I haven't seen a 2012 satin Ice Tea, all I've found are Faded Honeyburst. And all the serial numbers I've been correlating seem to indicate these are all Honeyburst Ltd. run.

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
remove the pickguard on the least colored one and check the finish underneath. maybe it was on display behind the window of the shop.
That's a good point- I did remove everything when I gave it a good cleaning...knobs,.pickguard, poker chip. The finish is identical underneath everything. No shading, shadows, fading, etc...

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
Get out. I have a 2012 Faded Trad too, and if my math is right, mine was made on Sept 6th (250th day of 2012), smack in the middle lol. Mine is darker, like the top one.
I have to say, I love the look of yours, Thrill.

Did you polish the satin top? And how did you age the pickup covers, bridge, and tailpiece?

Thrill

Reaction score
I haven't seen a 2012 satin Ice Tea, all I've found are Faded Honeyburst. And all the serial numbers I've been correlating seem to indicate these are all Honeyburst Ltd. run.
The 2011 and 2012 Trad Fadeds were a limited run done exclusively for L&M, as far as I know they all had the same specs and were all done in "Honeyburst", which from the ones Ive seen run the gambit from real light to pretty dark, in fact mine was sold to me as being a Tobacco Burst, and was a bit darker than it is now. I think they made either 1000 total or 1000 per year for 11-12, I forget which, just remember 1000 being in there somehow lol.
I have to say, I love the look of yours, Thrill.

Did you polish the satin top? And how did you age the pickup covers, bridge, and tailpiece?
I didnt go at it with a buffer or serious elbow grease or anything, but its been played alot to the point there were spots that were glossed up where the arm rests and around the knobs and what not, so whenever I cleaned it, I just used a light polish and lightly rubbed on and off, and overtime it glossed up a bit. You can still tell its a faded model by the thin finish thats sunken into the pores and what not, just a little shinier.

I got Creamtone aged ABR bridge, tailpiece, conversion studs, pickguard bracket, and gold reflector knobs with pointer washers, and got some aged pickup covers from some place I dont recall to put on, give it the old vibes. It does just add something to it.

Latest Threads