2012 Standard Coil Tap Muffled when guitar vol turned down

6b4g

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Les Paul Standard (Trans Amber) with all the Push Pull pots, in pure humbucking mode the guitar works fine and it is possible to use the guitars volumes to control volume and tone, the roll off of treble is fine, but as soon as I pull the coil taps the sound goes so muffled it is unusable unless the volumes are almost on full on the guitar, the treble roll off is way too high in the coil tap mode. There is also a lot of interaction when using the phase reversal function but this is understandable and manageable, but the treble roll off in the coil taped mode is bad in my view. Anyone else notice this problem, and more to the point, anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks for taking the time to read

what-a-cool-username

Reaction score
I think you need to post some pictures of the guitar so we can assess the problem, or at least so I can assess the raging stiffy in my trousers. :D

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, if your electronics are faulty, you may be able to return the guitar for repair of the bad bit(s) and 'fix' it that way

If thats the way they seem to be as per normal, given the PCB nature of the current guitars there is only the option of ripping the whole lot out and starting from scratch if you want to change the way it works.

6b4g

Reaction score
The guitar is not faulty as far as I can tell, just seems to me that the treble rolls of very quickly with the volume controls when the coils are taped - anyone else notice this?

Couple of my Les Paul's, the Deluxe is from 1983, the Goldtop from 1998 and of course the Trans Amber from 2012, so I do know how a Les Paul from different vintages and types rolls off the treble, not shown is a Les Paul Special with P90's which is also a great guitar.

I like the 2012, especially the neck, my fav of all of them, just wish the coil tap was as good as PRS does them......!

Attachments

• 311562_378715978860152_30187598_n.jpg
    311562_378715978860152_30187598_n.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 32

nayoud

Reaction score
I have the same issue in my 2016 Standard ... they sound muted and muffled !

yell03

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Traditional Pro with push/push coil taps.
They sound amazing when split, enough that I sold my Tele and Strat.
Recently I bought a 2015 Les Paul Studio SR with push/pull coil taps, it was terrible, Split the coils and it got muddy and dull.
Returned the guitar same day.

I have a 2013 Les Paul Signature T on the way with a push/pull coil tap.

I am interested to see if it is as good as my Trad Pro.

Latest Threads