2012 R7 neck profile

Reaction score
I am contemplating purchasing a 2012 R7 and the seller is making a point that the neck is a 59 profile and not the baseball bat 57. I've owned two other R7s also from 2012 and 2009, and those had great baseball bat necks that I prefer. There is no indication on the COA or elsewhere that would imply Gibson Custom did a run of R7's with '59 profile necks. I know there were run's after 2012 that had slimmer necks but can anyone shed light on this particular R7?

shark

Reaction score
is not a Brazilian board. 1957 Gold top / R7 Reissues with Brazilian boards have a verified serial number range starting from 73010 through 73707.
I doubt a 59 profile on an R7.
Neck profiles can be ambiguous or just plainly inexact.

Whats fat in one mans hand might be a match stick in anothers

Last edited:

OBX351

Reaction score
As with any online guitar purchase, ask for a right of refusal, 24 to 48 hours is standard and you pay for insured shipping back to the seller should you decide to return the guitar. If the seller will not allow a right of refusal don't consider the guitar.

LocoTex

Reaction score
He's out of his mind when he says the fretboard looks like Brazilian. Pass on this one.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Ask the seller to take neck measurements, digital calipers are dirt cheap, or at least send you pictures from the side of the neck.

Is that $4k US or did Reverb convert that to Canadian for me?

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! I reached out to Gibson Custom and they verified it left the factory with an "early 50s rounded neck) and even provided a spec sheet for those particular 2012 VOS reissues. I also reached out to the seller for a caliper reading and they're supposed to get back to me so we'll see what it measures out at! Thank you all again!

50 Watts

Reaction score
Not a bad guitar but the seller is definitely embellishing. "might be a Brazilian board." It most certainly is not. "great players who've played it say it feels like a 59 neck." OK fine, there is variation but my guess is its on the thinner side of the 57 necks. I wouldn't run the other way like my hair was on fire, but you are doing the right thing asking questions and doing your homework. It is a nice guitar in good shape.

Reaction score
Not a bad guitar but the seller is definitely embellishing. "might be a Brazilian board." It most certainly is not. "great players who've played it say it feels like a 59 neck." OK fine, there is variation but my guess is its on the thinner side of the 57 necks. I wouldn't run the other way like my hair was on fire, but you are doing the right thing asking questions and doing your homework. It is a nice guitar in good shape.
I agree that they're embellishing and it could just be a regular neck on the thinner side. I've owned a 2012 before and It had a chunky check which I loved, similarly it also had a lighter board. But I'm trying to work a deal with this seller so I'm hopeful something comes of it. Worst case scenario it gets to me and its thinner than I'd like and it goes up on the classified ads here on the forum.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask the seller to take neck measurements, digital calipers are dirt cheap, or at least send you pictures from the side of the neck.

Is that $4k US or did Reverb convert that to Canadian for me?
I get the same thing:
$4,058.12CAD

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price is now $3,225.

I wouldn't buy it because that fretbord is too damned light.

Braz? No way.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not Brazilian. 2012 had the very undesirable 2 piece boards. I understand what you're chasing though. Good luck in your search!

Latest Threads