2012 push/pull circuit flawed.

foxtrot

Reaction score
I've heard about this problem with Studio Deluxes (I have one that has the hum/buzz) and Trad Pros, but not the new standards.

The issue for the Studios and Trad Pros has been discussed on here and elsewhere a bit. Supposedly rewiring and putting push/pull pots in for the tone controls instead of volume controls fixes (or at least reduces) the hum. I guess they are less likely to cause noise issues when used for tone rather than volume.

The new standards are different obviously, not sure what the solution might be.

I don't think it is that big of a deal (though I am thinking of rewiring my Studio Deluxe). Would be nice if the noise wasn't there, but with these and the new standards you know the noise is there when trying out guitars and looking to buy one...

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I don't think it is that big of a deal (though I am thinking of rewiring my Studio Deluxe). Would be nice if the noise wasn't there said:
Not in my case as I bought used by the internet from a reputable dealer. I know...."buyer beware"! My tech told me that because guitar electronics are not a big mystery and most problems can be diagnosed and remedied. I hope he's correct in all cases.

I'm leaning towards the addition of shielding paint to the control cavity. I don't want to start re-wiring and tearing things apart and change the whole tone of the guitar (Studio Deluxe). It sounds pretty good as is.......just have to get rid of the buzz/hum situation.

Classicplayer

Lurko

Reaction score
Does this also apply to the hum issue some of us have? Are these two terms interchangeable for this discusssion....hum and buzz?

Classicplayer

I won't get into the 50 vs. 60 cycle hum/buzz thing here, to not muddy the waters. Here's my experience:

I had two problems with my LP Standard; both were fixed completely by shielding with this:

Conductive_Shielding_Paint_sm.jpg

Problem #1. Guitar was very hum-prone, even though it had humbuckers, and when you grounded yourself by touching the strings the hum dissipated quite a bit (although it was still audible). Shielding with the paint (and some foil on the back of the plastic cavity covers) made the guitar so so silent with or without my hand on the strings that I had to play it to make sure it was putting out signal.

Problem #2: Guitar's finish generated a static electricity charge that was picked up by the electronics and reproduced in the signal chain, resulting in pops and crackles when I moved my hand over the back of the guitar or up and down the neck. Shielding also solved this problem completely.

Note that with high gain settings on your amp, you will ALWAYS have some hum, as the pickups themselves will pick it up (which is why they have grounded metal covers, btw). But on clean settings on a properly working amp, you'll get almost silence by shielding with this paint.

stealthelephant

Reaction score
When a wine bottle gets corked it not only happens to that bottle of wine, but other bottles that are made from the same cork.

The guitar making process is similar to wine making process so that explains why all the guitars in the shop are affected too.

now, does anyone know how the hell a cork can be in more than 1 bottle affecting an entire batch? :confused:

bosnialove

Reaction score
Conclusion: buy only older Standards. I would say... Pre-2000.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
It was not exactly a waste of time, but I did get a reply from Gibson Customer Service about my own problem that the OP described. Gibson recommends taking it to one of the service centers that they show on their service site locater. There are none in my immediate area, but I have a reliable tech that could do some shielding work. It's worth it to me as I like the Studio Deluxe and the pickups that come stock with it.

Classicplayer

Armitage

Reaction score
I just got five new Pauls and one of them didn't have the ground to the bridge soldered to the back of the pot.

It buzzes until you touch the strings... well until I soldered the ground.

Lurko

Reaction score
Conclusion: buy only older Standards. I would say... Pre-2000.

Not in my experience (I have a '90s era Standard). The electronics are not the problem. The lack of shielding is the problem.

Lurko

Reaction score
It was not exactly a waste of time, but I did get a reply from Gibson Customer Service about my own problem that the OP described. Gibson recommends taking it to one of the service centers that they show on their service site locater. There are none in my immediate area, but I have a reliable tech that could do some shielding work. It's worth it to me as I like the Studio Deluxe and the pickups that come stock with it.

Classicplayer

Good call.

Mule Train

Reaction score
Why do some need shielding and some don't. The reason is the ones that do make noise are bad. You can put a shielding band aid on it but I would want to know what is causing this noise.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I just got to thinking (I do that sometimes :applause:) about shielding. For the amount of money that Gibson charges from their most inexpensive all the way up, why don't they just spray the control and switch cavities with shielding paint?

I have a fairly expensive Hamer Studio Custom and the control cavity is very neatly shielded and to boot, the wiring is really neat too. Not one noise out of that guitar. My Les Paul Studio Deluxe (2010) wiring seems complex, although my tech would say the contrary, but shielding paint would be so easy in the manufacturing process, would it not?

Classicplayer

Latest Threads