2012 Les Paul

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for someone with more guitar experience than I have (less than a year).

Just ordered the new 2012 LP Standard in Trans Amber.

Does anyone know if with this new coil tapping system if it makes it harder or not possible to swap out the pickups for some zebra pickups and change the volume and tone knobs. (Since they are push/pull)

Sorry if this is a stupid question as its not the end of the world if it stays original or not.

Obsequio

Reaction score
All the electronics plug into a pc board in the volume & tone control cavity. You would have to be able to add the plugs onto the zebra HB's in order to make it work. Apparently they sell the connectors at Radio shack, but I'm not sure about HB's with four leads. Either way you would really have to know what you're doing in order to make it work.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. And really knowing what I am doing I do not. I have a guy that does work on my guitars but I don't want him to look at me like I am an idiot if I brought in in there for him to do, nor spend the money if it's not reasonable. I suppose just asking him is the best way to go. Thanks again.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
it will be different not necessarily harder, a tech should have no problem working on them.

If your only changing to zebras for aesthetics and not a tone change take a peek under the chrome covers, there may be zebras already there. I had 57 classic and 57 classic plus and one was zebra and the other was black.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Slash and not that I was necessarily trying to replicate the Appetite guitar or anything but was looking to drop the Slash SD Zebra's in there and change the volume and tone knobs. I have a guitar with Burstbuckers in them but it's a Semi Hollow so not much for comparrison. For being a newbie to the forum, I greatly appreciate the replies to the question and look forward to posting more. Maybe I will throw up a few pics once I get the new LP!

Zack

Reaction score
you will have to change out the push pull knobs for other push pull knobs

Spaceacex

Reaction score
I suppose that limits my options as well.

Thx

Actually you can use any knobs that fit a gibson les paul. No such thing as push pull knobs. The function is done at the pots.

I've switched out stock knobs on my Les Paul that had push pull pots. I wanted speed knobs. Actually made it easier for me to take off the stock knobs since I was able to grab it better due to the pull function.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Nice! Now your talkin. Love everything about the new standards but the orange knobs. Even on the amber top.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Nice! Now your talkin. Love everything about the new standards but the orange knobs. Even on the amber top.

They look better in person than I expected them to look. It's an easy change though. I'm still debating if I am going to change them on mine or not.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Post a pic if if you got one man. Amber top?

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
Oh yeah. That's what came up when I googled 2012 lp standard trans amber. Didn't put the names together. That is super frickin sweet. I'm pumped myself.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Oh yeah. That's what came up when I googled 2012 lp standard trans amber. Didn't put the names together. That is super frickin sweet. I'm pumped myself.

As you definitely should be cause the LP rocks :dude:

ARandall

Reaction score
Actually you might have a lot less hassles switching pickups than you'd think. Both pickups on the 2012 standard are getting wired straight to the push-pulls, and from pics on another thread they don't seem to have any proprietory plugs.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
As you definitely should be cause the LP rocks :dude:

My first LP was the Chicago Blue Traditional last year. The thing is a monster. But being somewhat of a beginner I liked the fat neck as it, if even psychologically, made me work a little harder to hit the right notes. Then I would go back to the 335 w/slimmer neck and woud make me feel like my hands were on vacation.

JMB1984

Reaction score
My first LP was the Chicago Blue Traditional last year. The thing is a monster. But being somewhat of a beginner I liked the fat neck as it, if even psychologically, made me work a little harder to hit the right notes. Then I would go back to the 335 w/slimmer neck and woud make me feel like my hands were on vacation.

Pictures of the chicago blue Trad Pro :photos:

Find the "Official Traditional love" thread and post them there too if you havent already haha.

I almost when for the Chicago Blue at one point, but then I came across my blue quilt top with a 60's neck and went with that instead. 60's neck feels more natural to me too.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
See if I can figure out how to do this....

Attachments

• 2-1DCD32E0-799658-800.jpg
    2-1DCD32E0-799658-800.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 25

Crotch

Mega Pints
Reaction score
I'll post some other pictures to that thread once I take some. Only have one small crappy one on my phone at work. Yes, this is what I do at work! :slash:

Latest Threads