2012 Les Paul Studio layered “grenadillo”?

DjPsychic

Reaction score
I might go look at a cool 2012 Les Paul today. When looking at specs/reviews I noticed “grenadillo” is used on the fretboard. I’ve also read that Gibson was using layered wood for fretboards as well.

Anyone have experience with these guitars or fretboards?

Thanks!

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I might go look at a cool 2012 Les Paul today. When looking at specs/reviews I noticed “grenadillo” is used on the fretboard. I’ve also read that Gibson was using layered wood for fretboards as well.

Anyone have experience with these guitars or fretboards?

Thanks!
Only rosewood was layered during this period,... that is why alternative woods were used.
That and Gibson had most of their rosewood seized by the Feds.

Also to note that NOT all 2012 models had rosewood that was layered,... there was plenty of single piece rosewood that was available and used right alongside the laminated rosewood.

A model may have been advertised as Bi-layered Rosewood could very well be one piece.... it happens.

It depends on where in the production run a guitar was made. Early in the year it could have a single piece FB.

Last edited:

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Only rosewood was layered during this period,... that is why alternative woods were used.

Also to note that NOT all 2012 models had rosewood that was layered,... there was plenty of single piece rosewood that was available and used right alongside the laminated rosewood.

A model may have been advertised as Bi-layered Rosewood could very well be one piece.... it happens.

It depends on where in the production run a guitar was made. Early in the year it could have a single piece FB.
Interesting, thank you!

Would you say grenadillo is similar to rosewood?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you!

Would you say grenadillo is similar to rosewood?

It is quite similar though it has a tighter grain like maple,... and the color is a bit lighter than rosewood. It's an excellent fretboard,... though most are put off by the color, but there are some darker examples out there.

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Had a Signature T with a Grenadillo fretboard. Looks like rosewood, sounds like rosewood.

DjPsychic

Reaction score
Here she is, she’s pretty damn cool, needs some TLC.

He said serial came back as 2012 but it’s stamped “2010”. I think It’s slim taper, At least that’s what I read about the 2012, partially why i wanted it.

My first modern LP. I think it’s pretty great

70F1BA9A-6968-46C0-AF88-AE5A743A0EB1.jpeg

Wailing

Reaction score
I had a sig T with a grenadillo fretboard, definitely denser than rosewood.. more towards ebony, lovely bright edge.. I liked it a lot but my 2002 standard turned up so some other lucky soul is now playing it

DjPsychic

Reaction score
I had a sig T with a grenadillo fretboard, definitely denser than rosewood.. more towards ebony, lovely bright edge.. I liked it a lot but my 2002 standard turned up so some other lucky soul is now playing it
A 90s early 00s is definitely on my radar!

Latest Threads