2012 Les Paul Standard...the "Revamped" Standard

JMB1984

Reaction score
do they all have the 60's neck? If so then the Traditionals aren't going anywhere....

So far the specs posted everywhere say 60s neck and the rep in the video also said that it is slightly asymmetrical but hardly noticeable

Seven

Reaction score
I'm lovin' the Trans Amber...:cool:

6894244194_376fac8c4d_b.jpg

Malchik

Reaction score
I'm a little bummed to see them drop the Tonepros appointments, but they are spending more on a feature most people probably don't care to much about.

I'm really itching to try a Les Paul with a compound radius. 10 to 16 sounds great.

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
So... I actually really like the features of the new wiring. Has anyone seen a schematic or diagram yet for those of us with a soldering iron?

If not, I'll take a crack at working it out. It may be several days though.

Thanks,
Jeff

straybeat

Reaction score

BoogieMan_SC

Reaction score
I'm a little bummed to see them drop the Tonepros appointments, but they are spending more on a feature most people probably don't care to much about.

I'm really itching to try a Les Paul with a compound radius. 10 to 16 sounds great.

It still has the Tonepro's locking bridge and tail piece? From Gibson's website:

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Standard

"Top it off with Grover™ Locking Kidney tuners, a TonePros™ tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, and a traditional cream pickguard in the case should you decide to mount it, and the Les Paul Standard is undoubtedly the most versatile, and one of the best looking, Les Pauls ever to emerge from Gibson USA."

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score

I've looked through the first 10-15 that came up, and also did a different search for "Les Paul 2012 Standard Wiring" and was unable to find one that matched the 2012 model functionality.

I know how to wire for coil split, and imagine phase reversal could be glommed onto it. And then the direct out for the bridge pickup could be glommed onto that. But my experience has been that a variety of issues come up for such things, so I was hoping someone had already worked it out.

Anyway, this will be my chance to contribute something I guess. Will post if I work it out.

straybeat

Reaction score
I've looked through the first 10-15 that came up, and also did a different search for "Les Paul 2012 Standard Wiring" and was unable to find one that matched the 2012 model functionality.

I know how to wire for coil split, and imagine phase reversal could be glommed onto it. And then the direct out for the bridge pickup could be glommed onto that. But my experience has been that a variety of issues come up for such things, so I was hoping someone had already worked it out.

Anyway, this will be my chance to contribute something I guess. Will post if I work it out.

I guess I don't understand what it is you're trying to accomplish? I haven't had the luxury of playing around with a 2012, but I haven't seen them do anything different in years? What is it you're after?

HumanJHawkins

Reaction score
The only thing new about it is the combination. They use a push-pull pot for all 4 controls. They work as follows:

Volumes: Coil split
Neck Tone: Phase reversal
Bridge tone: Bridge pickup tone-bypass. (Pickup straight to output, bypassing (both bridge?) controls.

Apparently, the bypass must bypass both the volume and tone, because the functions of all switches are said to {paraphrased} "work independently of each other, allowing the bridge tone control to also act as a kill switch."

The only way I can think of that this configuration would cause the bridge tone to act as a kill switch is if you set the 3-way to bridge-only and the bridge volume to completely off. Then, bypassing the controls would put you at full volume, and turning the bypass off would re-engage the volume and act as a kill switch.

I may be wrong about some of that last bit, as I have not had the chance to test it. But that is what the wiring is said to accomplish. It may be a bit gimmicky, but it seems worth trying out.

Cheers.

JMB1984

Reaction score
The only thing new about it is the combination. They use a push-pull pot for all 4 controls. They work as follows:

Volumes: Coil split
Neck Tone: Phase reversal
Bridge tone: Bridge pickup tone-bypass. (Pickup straight to output, bypassing (both bridge?) controls.

Apparently, the bypass must bypass both the volume and tone, because the functions of all switches are said to {paraphrased} "work independently of each other, allowing the bridge tone control to also act as a kill switch."

The only way I can think of that this configuration would cause the bridge tone to act as a kill switch is if you set the 3-way to bridge-only and the bridge volume to completely off. Then, bypassing the controls would put you at full volume, and turning the bypass off would re-engage the volume and act as a kill switch.

I may be wrong about some of that last bit, as I have not had the chance to test it. But that is what the wiring is said to accomplish. It may be a bit gimmicky, but it seems worth trying out.

Cheers.

Alternatively, if you have the 3 way set to neck pickup with the volume down it would bypass this and turn the bridge pickup on full volume. In either way the pickup selector couple simply act as a kill switch as it would on any guitar with one pick up off. It's more so the bypass full on that brings the advantage here with the new controls.

Buick8

Reaction score
Yes, I am a lefty as well. Nice of Gibson to produce all those lefties. There was a drought for a long time. Now I am gorged and have a satin cherry traditional and a Honeyburst premium plus

Ian Pace

Reaction score
I did a search on this and didn't find anything...have you guys talked about this already?

I got my American Musical Supply catalog yesterday and about fell out of my chair when I saw the new 2012 Standard is almost completely different than the 2008 Professional Series:

The revamped Standard! The Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar brings incredible features that have never been seen before on a Les Paul Standard. Gibson USA has designed this axe with Dual Burstbucker Pro Split Coil pickups so you can split each humbucker to get great single coil tone with the pull of a knob!

The comfortable playability of the compound radius Rosewood fingerboard and modern weight relieved Mahogany body with AAA flame Maple top makes the 2012 Les Paul Standard Plus a joy to play.

Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar Features

• Dual Burstbucker Pro Pickups with coil splitting
  • Modern weight relieved Mahogany body with AAA flame Maple top
  • Improved frequency tuned coil tapping for a fatter single coil tone and better output balance
  • Push/pull tone knob for Pure Bypass which takes the bridge pickup straight out the jack
Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar Specifications

• Body: Modern Weight Relieved Mahogany
  • Top: AAA Flame Maple
  • Pickups: Dual Burstbucker Pro split coil
  • Neck: Mahogany
  • Neck Profile: 60s
  • Fingerboard: Compound Radius Rosewood
  • Output Jack: Switchcraft
  • Tuners: Locking Grover Kidney
  • Hardware: Tone Pros TOM and Stop Bar
  • Controls:
    • Push/Pull Volume:
      • Splits from humbucker to single coil
      • Improved frequency tuned coil tapping for a fatter single coil tone, and better output balance
    • 2 Push/Pull Tone:
      • Phase Switch
      • Pure Bypass takes the bridge pickup straight out the jack
Plus the price is now $100 lower. I have been trolling the forums and Ebay for a 2008 Standard but I am now heavily considering buying one of these new 2012s. In fact I am almost 100% sure I will be buying one soon.

What do you think?

According to AMS they start shipping 4/16/12. Zzounds estimates 4/26/12.

Gibson 2012 Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar with Case at AmericanMusical.com
Is the standard in your link a reduced price scratch and dent? The standard plus is running about $3,000 at AMS with an AAAA top (pls see my avatar). Gorgeous flame.

Latest Threads