2012 Les Paul Standard...the "Revamped" Standard

Maccadude33

Reaction score
I definitely did not need to see this... Those amber and tea burst finishes! O_O
I also want to know if these are chambered or weight-relieved. I like the idea of the tone push/pulls but maybe that's just me. Hope to encounter some in the coming months.

neju02

Reaction score
HI

look above, it`s chambered.

Greetings
Frank

I definitely did not need to see this... Those amber and tea burst finishes! O_O
I also want to know if these are chambered or weight-relieved. I like the idea of the tone push/pulls but maybe that's just me. Hope to encounter some in the coming months.

Luckynumber3

Reaction score
I never understood the whole split coil craze. I have a Schecter C1+ with split coil and I never use it. If I need a Strat sound, I'll use one of my Strats!!

-Mike
I have coil taps on my trad pro. When I had the stock burstbucker, I liked it better than my strat! It actually had more balls than the strat did...:shock:

Did Henry die or something?
:lol:

Anyways, this new standard sounds very interesting. But, as people have said, I wonder what happens to the traditional line. The regulartraditionals are like perfect guitars...

Maybe they could eliminate the weight relief from the traditionals and go that extra step to truly make them traditional.:D

neju02

Reaction score
I think they won`t, it would be too traditional and more than this too close
to the Historic line.

Regards
Frank

Rock City

Reaction score
Again, it's all in ebay or luthiers' hands for us corksniffers :naughty:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Is it just me or are all these new Gibsons using 60s skinny necks?

Presumably that'll be the differentiator on the Traditional line?

So:

- 2012 Standard : Chambered, coil-splits, 60s neck
- 2012 Studio : Chambered, coil-splits, 60s neck, less 'bling'
- Traditional : Swiss cheese, humbuckers, 50s neck

Assuming that kills the Traditional Pro (would be the same as the new Standard) I think that kinda works for a basic line up. So long as they don't force people to go to the CS for a nice chunky neck ...

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Again, it's all in ebay or luthiers' hands for us corksniffers :naughty:

Of course not. Just because the old ''Traditionals'' or ''Classics'' were saying they were so, it doesn't mean they were. Only the ''Custom Shop'' ensures the Historic Accuracy every self-respecting cork-sniffer should aim at...

We will take care of the rest of them...:naughty:

LesLuvva

Reaction score
Sooooo...guess that explains why my local dealer was willing to sell me a brand new Standard (2010) a few months back for $1400. No matter, I still love it for what it is. Probably some more good deals coming real soon on the 2008 models, if you can deal with its features...

bdubbs

Reaction score
Other than coil splitting it seems the 2012 is very similar to 2008, did they get rid of the assymetric neck or something?

Vintage_Burster

Reaction score
Id actually buy one of these! They sound fantastic.

Ive played those asymetrical necks, they suck. Thank god they are gone.

straybeat

Reaction score
I think I'd like to know what 'Compound Radius Rosewood' means.

If it's the one I read about it starts with one radius at the first fret, then flattens out to a larger radius at the 22nd fret. I read that it starts with something like a 12" or 12-1/2" radius out to a 14" radius at the end.

Zack

Reaction score
wow!!!! being left handed the only colors are the ones i hate most, i almost pulled the trigger on this standard with a very poor quality maple cap in cherry burst, damn lucky i didnt get it! i always wanted an amber or desert burst finish!

neju02

Reaction score
Hmm, don`t understand the debate about the asymetrical neck.
Imho it feels great to play.

But as i understood the new 2012 has a 60 ies profike.

Greetings
Frank

Rodolphe

Reaction score
the trans amber looks lovely.
I'd like to know if the wiring is made with cables or on a printed circuit board.
I'd also like to know what they've done for the single coil position to be "fatter"...
and how the out of phase position sounds (I'm still thinking about adding this feature to my trad Pro 50s..)

Murfdog

Reaction score
I hope they can find another name for it, other than the 2012 Standard. It always seemed a mouthful when watching people say "this is a 2010 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard."

I was wondering when they would ditch the 2008 moniker. I was worried we would be calling it the '08 Standard in the year 2016. Now we will be calling it the 2012 Standard in 2018?

I believe "modern weight relief" is an intentional deception.

Latest Threads