2012 Les Paul Custom '60 RI - "LPB0" Any info??

Baracus

Reaction score
Looking at buying one of these but it is very hard to find any info let alone a spec sheet. Seem to be quite a rare guitar.

Just about any info I can find on LPC historics refers to either '68 or '57 reissues. The '60 version is a ghost.

I did find info on a 2010 50th anniversary LPB0 model and am assuming the 2012 model would be the same specs?

Anyone have or had one?

I owned a '15 LPC '68 reissue but the neck was just too big for me when you got down towards the 10th fret and beyond so I moved it on.
Hoping this one will be more my thing and would be great to get feedback form anyone who owns one

Questions:
Anything bad about 2012 Historics in general?
Would this come with BB's?
How is the neck size? In comparison to an R9 as reference (or compared to the '68 LPC RI)
Ebony board? (fairly certain it is)
Can anyone point me at a spec sheet for the 2012 model?

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I thought Gibson didn't make any ebony in 2012 because of the Lacey Act?

Can you post some pictures?

Baracus

Reaction score
I thought Gibson didn't make any ebony in 2012 because of the Lacey Act?

Can you post some pictures?
I thought I read that that only started towards the end of 2012? But I am sure you or someone here knows more about it than me.
It is advertised as ebony and they emailed saying it was ebony in the specs... I have just emailed asking can they confirm 100% that it is

Do you know anything else about the LPB0 model? Am I right that it's basically a '68 RI with a different neck profile and head stock angle?

Here's some pics, hard to make out any grain on the fretboard

Baracus

Reaction score
Got a quick response from the dealer

"Hi,
I appreciate the reply.
I can confirm that the Gibson LPBO Custom has an Ebony Board.
The customs that are NOT Historic are usually a different substance such as Richlite.
Hope this helps,"

I had bought a 2014 '68 LPC from them previously and they assured me that was ebony as it was also in that period where richlite abounded, it was indeed ebony. So I believe them.
I moved the '68 on as the neck just got too big for me as it tapered, hence now looking at this. Seems like a winner for me,
virtually the same but with a smaller neck profile

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I would call Gibson and ask them directly. Don't take a dealer's word because most are just salespeople.

Off memory, I only recall seeing one 2012 reissue Custom, a 68RI, it was for sale on TGP and I remember the seller specifically wrote he confirmed with Gibson it had richlite.

Also, the COA you posted seems to have a brown exterior. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but those first came out in/around 2017.

Baracus

Reaction score
I would call Gibson and ask them directly. Don't take a dealer's word because most are just salespeople.

Off memory, I only recall seeing one 2012 reissue Custom, a 68RI, it was for sale on TGP and I remember the seller specifically wrote he confirmed with Gibson it had richlite.

Also, the COA you posted seems to have a brown exterior. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but those first came out in/around 2017.
My 2014 '68 LPC also had the brown COA, the same as this. My 2012 R7 had a black one though so maybe 2012 was the year they switched? Or maybe they use both for different reasons.
Can post pics of all three.

Gibson never responded to my email, I have just resent it. Hopefully they will get back to me this time.
The dealer sent me a close up of the fretboard, looks like ebony, it has grain. They are fairly knowledgeable and were on the money with my '14 but I'll wait to hear from Gibson

Latest Threads