2012 Fender AVRI '54 Thin Skin Stratocaster

ErictheRed

Reaction score
2012 Fender Limited Edition Wildwood Dealer Select "Thin Skin" American Vintage Reissue 1954 Stratocaster in two-tone sunburst. This is the last year that they did the '54 Thin Skin (nitrocellulose) reissues. I believe that all case candy is still there, though I might have misplaced a sticker or something like that.

If you're not familiar with Wildwood Thin Skin guitars, they are only made special order for Wildwood Guitars in Colorado, kind of half Fender Custom Shop and half regular Fender. They combine the very best of vintage and modern guitars: the body and electronics are all American Vintage Reissue spec, but with Fender Custom Shop pickups and a nitrocellulose finish (like Gibson still uses) instead of polyurethane. That's where the "Thin Skin" comes from, and it ages beautifully (though this guitar has hardly aged a day). The neck and frets are modern spec: C-shape, 9.5" radius board, and medium jumbo frets. So vintage looks and sound with modern playability = perfect!

I bought this new when I was living in Colorado in 2012, kind of a present for myself after I got divorced. It's the nicest Strat I've ever owned: I've gone through a few, always wanting to find one that I bond with, but I just don't get along with Strats and it's pretty much sat in the case for the past seven years.

I was going to write that she's a case queen and about as close to mint as you can possibly get, but only this morning when I looked it over more closely before posting this ad, I noticed some dings on the bottom of the body (see last photos). I guess I always look at the top, the back, the front, the neck, headstock, etc., but never the bottom! I have no idea how or when they happened, I didn't even know they were there. Maybe I set her on a hard tiled floor to lean against the wall at some point? Anyway she's in absolutely fantastic condition and plays like a dream, recent pro setup.

Only selling because I already ordered a Mayones Regius Core, no trades thanks!

These photos are new pictures of the actual guitar, taken by my sister who is super into photography about a month ago, except for the last couple that I just took.

I'm going to hold firm at $1,750 shipped and insured CONUS, or just wait to sell it locally. If PayPal and shipping fees come to less than $200, I will refund you the entire difference. If anyone knows a secret way to ship guitars more cheaply, please let me know. About ten years ago I could send a guitar across the country for $65 bucks, but now it's always closer to $150.

Pics of this beauty, honestly to me about the prettiest guitar possible:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Lkdog

Reaction score
Eric,

Very nice. If i had not just got an EJ Strat I would be on this.

As for shipping, I use FEDEX ground and have never been over 85-90$ insured shipping for guitars up to $3000 value.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
As for shipping, I use FEDEX ground and have never been over 85-90$ insured shipping for guitars up to $3000 value.
Good tip, I could try Fed Ex. I've really only used the USPS and UPS. Honestly the USPS has always seemed the best to me when it came to insurance, as they never fought a claim (I've had to file two). UPS fought me tooth and nail and I had to hire a lawyer then take them to court to finally get them to honor their insurance when they snapped a Les Paul Traditional neck clean in two, completely crushing the box and case along with it. Since then I've always been leery of the private for-profit companies.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Good tip, I could try Fed Ex. I've really only used the USPS and UPS. Honestly the USPS has always seemed the best to me when it came to insurance, as they never fought a claim (I've had to file two). UPS fought me tooth and nail and I had to hire a lawyer then take them to court to finally get them to honor their insurance when they snapped a Les Paul Traditional neck clean in two, completely crushing the box and case along with it. Since then I've always been leery of the private for-profit companies.
Well, as we all know if you are in this hobby shit happens no matter what. I have all guitars I buy held at the FEDEX center near me. If there is any issue with the box looking like it got run over or damaged- I have them open it and can address it then.
I had one broken neck on an acoustic and they did pay.

I also think that if you buy one of their boxes (cheap actually) and they pack they guarantee it against damage.
I actually have had pretty good luck with all of them, but I pack guitars with double boxing.
I do hope USPS survives Trump. Agree they are good value and good to deal with.

GLWS- that is nice Strat.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
GLWS- that is nice Strat.
Thanks! I've sold a few guitars here through the years, and a few more on Reverb, but for whatever reason (shipping costs going up, tax laws changed affecting Reverb) I'm pretty resigned to just selling all guitars locally now.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Bump, I'm actually going to drop the price to $1,700 total, PayPal'd and shipped CONUS. Only because I got a little more for the Tele I just sold than I had expected to. I definitely won't go any lower than that, thanks!

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Sold locally. You guys should have snatched this one up, oh well!

Latest Threads