2012 Epi LP Std Plustop Pro Stock Pickups? Probuckers?

Presence

Reaction score
Hi everybody! :) My first post. Great forum!!:applause: Thanks! I just received an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro new online from Zzounds.com. It's serial# dates it as old stock from November 2012 - Indonesia. My question is what pickups are in it? Probuckers or Alnico Classic Pro?

Zzounds website is just confusing - their description is all over the place. One paragraph says Alnico Classic Pro's the next Probuckers. It also says "Vintage Deep Set glued-in neck joint" and "Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector". Hmmm.... :hmm:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top PRO Electric Guitar, Honeyburst

I called Zzzounds and pointed out their website discrepancies a couple weeks ago. The sales rep said he would fwd the info and they would look into it but they have not yet changed anything yet. He also couldn't tell me 100% sure if the guitar I order will be Probuckers or Alnico Classic Pro, saying: "it will most likely be the new model with Probuckers". He said the "guitar experts" weren't in to talk to. So, last week I took a chance and ordered it anyway figuring I'd have to get a guitar made in 2013 or 2014 at least and could be assured it would have the Probuckers in it. Well, since my "new" guitar is from 2012, now I'm not so sure.

BTW - I'm not knocking Zzounds or the sales rep at all, they've been great with me for everything for awhile now. The rep was just as truly confused as I about their website info. I'm just surprised my new guitar is so old and would like to know if I have a newer Probucker model - if Epiphone Std Pro's were shipping with Probuckers then and any other info I may be missing out on a newer 2013 or 2014 model that I expected to be getting? I did some research and am not sure yet. I've also posted on Gibson/Epi forum and emailed Epiphone.

My pickup stickers say:
- Alnico Classic Magnets
- Authentic Coil Shape/Size
- Nickel/Silver Base Plate
- Braided Insulation Wire
- Double Vacuum Waxed
- 4 Conductor Wire
Designed by Epiphone USA

But, I think that's what both Alnico Classic Pro and Probucker stickers say, isn't it?

Thanks for any help! :cheers:

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Not to stir a fuss, but if you ordered, & paid for a "new" guitar, & they sent you an old stock guitar, I'd be calling them up. JMO

BTW, welcome to the funhouse!!

Presence

Reaction score
Thanks paruwi! :) I'm still not 100% convinced as I've seen that and other conflicting info and .docs online that show 2012 was the transition year for Probuckers on some models and some models were shipping with the new Alnico Classic Pro's (or plus?) in the 4 wire push pull config?

So, I'm not sure if my November 2012 Indonesian Honeyburst beauty got the Probuckers cut off date or not. Or if I should be concerned that I got a 2012 model and not 2013 or 14? Are there any other quality upgrades and improvements to this model since the 2012 edition? Maybe even to the Probucker pickup production themselves? If, I indeed have Probuckers? (I know the whole if you like it, play it etc.) I'm just trying to gather info about what I have here. (I'll post pics when I decide I'm keeping her...she really is beautiful!) :)

Is it easy to take the pickup rings off and look underneath without unsoldering etc.? What would I look for? I'll look this up more too. I may decide to change out these pickups anyway (just because that's the thing to do :cool: and I'd like to gain knowledge by comparing) but I really would like to know 100% for sure what I have and just play it and give them a chance for awhile first without investing any more time or $.

Thanks!

Presence

Reaction score
Thanks DPaulCustom and gitmohair! I didn't see your posts as I was posting.

Yeah, I'm going to call them for sure but besides trying to get a bigger discount I doubt they will have anymore info on specs. The thing is, I've been thru so many guitars online lately trying to get a keeper - (it's so hit and miss buying online). I've actually had several shipped to me broken and with other problems, this one seems to be the best so far and I don't know if I want to chance sending it back to get something not as good as long as this one has all the same specs as the new ones. Hmmm...

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
It's not difficult to pull the pups up & check em.
It's easiest to remove the stopbar
Just slacken the strings enough to remove the stopbar screws, (remember to work side to side with these screws, 3 or 4 turns, then move to the other, if you don't, it'll bind up, & you won't be able to get em out)set the bar to the side, carefully remove the 4 pup ring screws, gently lift, & turn over.
You can google "images of epi probuckers" to compare, or post pix of them here.

Presence

Reaction score
Thanks DPaul! Pics coming at you in a few minutes.

Presence

Reaction score
attachment.php

Let's see if this works? Thanks! I think it's a Probucker, right? This is the neck pickup.

Attachments

• Epi LP Std Neck pickup.jpeg
    Epi LP Std Neck pickup.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 72

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
:D that's what it looks like to me.
So now that you know. I guess you'll be keeping her:thumb:
BTW, now that you know how to :photos::photos::photos:
Let's see that beauty:cool:

If you have a photobucket account, you could post full size pix,
If you don't, it's easy, & free.

Presence

Reaction score
Yep, thanks a lot for the stopbar/pickup removal instructions, DPaul!! I realy appreciate it. I feel better now and I feel like I know her even more now too! :naughty: Lol Gotta take a break. Pics to come later! :dude:

Preacher403

Reaction score
That's a Probucker 2 according to the code, which means the bridge is probably a PB3. So looks like you got Probucker pickups.

Latest Threads