2011 NHL Playoffs!

Sirzach

Reaction score
In the first quarter?!?!? What game are you watching? Last I checked hockey games had three periods.
Probably shouldn't have been posting after a long 5 hour study session and the past few days of straight finals. :laugh2:

Kashmir

Reaction score
Probably shouldn't have been posting after a long 5 hour study session and the past few days of straight finals. :laugh2:
I interchange them all the time, no matter what the game is: innings, periods, quarters. No biggy, people get it. :dude:

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats Boston...
Condolences Vancouver

IMO Vancouver is not mature enough as a City to be deserving of the cup.
Sore losers.
Rioting because you lose, pathetic behavior and does not reflect the Canada I know or try to represent..

Just my $0.02

moff40

Reaction score
Congrats Boston...
Condolences Vancouver

IMO Vancouver is not mature enough as a City to be deserving of the cup.
Sore losers.
Rioting because you lose, pathetic behavior and does not reflect the Canada I know or try to represent..

Just my $0.02
This had nothing to do with the city of Vancouver, nor the outcome of the game; it was a relatively small group of dumbass punks bent on starting trouble.

The jerkoffs went there with the intent of starting something, regardless of the outcome. They went IN to the "fan-zone" with their faces covered and carrying excellerants. Some were overheard before the game even started making plans as to what the targets would be.

I'm getting a kick out of the newsmedia sensationalizing it and criticizing the responders. This wasn't Beirut or Gaza; in fact the whole thing was contained to a two or three-block area of downtown. Also, please bear in mind that not everybody in that mob you saw on TV were rioting and looting; some were simply observing/taking pictures, etc. Many of those photos will come in handy over the next couple of weeks.

There were 3 times the people rioting last night as there were in '94, and police got it under control and dispursed in 1/2 the time. Kudos to them, shame on the rioters, and shame on the media for making it appear bigger than it was. Jeez, you'd think that nobody had ever watched a European soccer match or its aftermath. Relatively speaking, last night was nothing. Goes to show just how spoiled we in the West really are.

Pennyman

Reaction score
I'm guessing you weren't studying anything to do with sports & recreation.

I still can't say I'm happy about these playoffs, but I don't think the Canucks deserved it in the end. Not with their inconsistent play, that's not the mark of a champion.

*sigh* Maybe next year... (or in 2028...)

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
This had nothing to do with the city of Vancouver, nor the outcome of the game; it was a relatively small group of dumbass punks bent on starting trouble.

The jerkoffs went there with the intent of starting something, regardless of the outcome. They went IN to the "fan-zone" with their faces covered and carrying excellerants. Some were overheard before the game even started making plans as to what the targets would be.

I'm getting a kick out of the newsmedia sensationalizing it and criticizing the responders. This wasn't Beirut or Gaza; in fact the whole thing was contained to a two or three-block area of downtown. Also, please bear in mind that not everybody in that mob you saw on TV were rioting and looting; some were simply observing/taking pictures, etc. Many of those photos will come in handy over the next couple of weeks.

There were 3 times the people rioting last night as there were in '94, and police got it under control and dispursed in 1/2 the time. Kudos to them, shame on the rioters, and shame on the media for making it appear bigger than it was. Jeez, you'd think that nobody had ever watched a European soccer match or its aftermath. Relatively speaking, last night was nothing. Goes to show just how spoiled we in the West really are.

Sure, I realize that there were provocateurs.. I was flat in the G N R riot in Montreal. Let me tell you my experience.. Although it may have been a small group(depending what you consider small) there were hockey fans participating and that sucks imo.

I understand you are from there and I realize.. I am not trying to take a poke at your beautiful City or any of my fellow Countrymen.. It is just my opinion.. We have things pretty dam good in this Country and when I see people rioting over sports it makes me sick.

Lets be clear here too. This could have happened any night of these playoffs and it sucks that it had to happen and to me it comes off as poor sportsmanship. Obviously not the vast majority, but as in any part of life,,, the small minority usually ruins it for the majority.

Finally yes, there was 100% most def game related violence happening. Please don;t deny that.

All the best.

beuford23

Reaction score

It had everything to do with Vancouver and Vancouverites. The fact is there were an estimated 100,000 fans downtown; a considerable number of Canuck fans that stood by and did NOTHING!!!!!!! Sure, maybe the rioters and looters were only a couple hunderd strong but what is worse is all the gazers taking it in, snapping shots and posing for pics only in the hopes of claiming fame to having "been there"

Yeah, the rioters made me sick but equally those who chose to do nothing

lespaul01

Banned
Reaction score
It had everything to do with Vancouver and Vancouverites. The fact is there were an estimated 100,000 fans downtown; a considerable number of Canuck fans that stood by and did NOTHING!!!!!!! Sure, maybe the rioters and looters were only a couple hunderd strong but what is worse is all the gazers taking it in, snapping shots and posing for pics only in the hopes of claiming fame to having "been there"

Yeah, the rioters made me sick but equally those who chose to do nothing

I could not agree more with that.

moff40

Reaction score
I'll reiterate: It had NOTHING to do with the city of Vancouver, Vancouverites, nor Canucks fans in general. None condone the actions of morons who rioted. It was reprehensible and not at all indicative of life in Vancouver, the attitudes of its citizens, nor the mindset of Canucks fans.

There were people rioting who were wearing hockey jerseys, yes, but again, this wasn't about losing the game - it was going to happen whether the Canucks had won or lost. There was a group of assholes who went downtown with the express premeditated purpose of starting trouble. Were some of them hockey fans? Probably, but some might have chosen to wear a jersey to "fit in". The point is, it was premeditated, not a display of poor sportsmanship.

There were indeed those who stood around observing. There were also those who tried to do something and ended up getting bootfscked because of it. Yes there were some photos taken by the weak minded for Facebook profiles, but lots were taken by bystanders - responsible citizens who chose to fight back intelligently, and have been turned over as evidence. Most people left the area peacefully - there was NOT 100,00 people standing around and watching. Look at the footage - there's a thousand, maybe two, with maybe 10% of them actually participating.

The true Vancouverites are the ones who went out this morning to help with the cleanup, not the few hundred cowards last night who could only be tough in a group.

I don't condone what happened, but let's put it in perspective. Again: it was a small group, in a small two or three block area; not a city-wide coup d'etat. And it was handled perfectly by the RCMP and VPD.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I'll reiterate: It had NOTHING to do with the city of Vancouver, Vancouverites, nor Canucks fans in general.
This simply isn't true. It happened in Vancouver and the rioting was done by people from Vancouver or the general area so yes, it did involve Vancouver and Vancouverites. Of course it only involved a tiny portion of the city's population, but to say it had nothing to do with the city or Vancouverites is ridiculous - especially when this has happened there in the past.

There was a group of assholes who went downtown with the express premeditated purpose of starting trouble.
Yep, people from Vancouver.

Look at the footage - there's a thousand, maybe two, with maybe 10% of them actually participating.
You need to look at the footage again as there were a lot more than "a thousand, maybe two" there.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Relatively speaking, last night was nothing.
Last night wasn't nothing - it was a fvcking embarrassment. If this was a one time thing in Vancouver then whatever, shit happens. But this is the second time there has been a riot after the Canucks lost in the finals - and the team has only reached the finals three times. Nice record you folks have going there. Then again, you've still got a long way to go before you approach the levels of assholishness that we have come to expect from Montreal.

PunkerJon

Reaction score
How did this thread shift from how badly the Canucks choked and why Luongo is the most overrated goalie in the NHL to Vancouverites acting like asshats?

I'm sorry, but those that started the mayhem represent your city...

Look, I'm not naive enough to believe that it wasn't more a fringe group that got it going... but still... it's not like they drove over (or hitchhiked most likely) from Winnipeg...

moff40

Reaction score
Bullshit. The riot happened in Vancouver, and that's as far as it goes. We don't know where the perps are from-they could have been from anywhere. Many may be Vancouverites, but they're certainly not representative of all Vancouverites. It's like saying everybody in Tofino is a smelly, pot smoking, tree hugging Greenpeacer, or that Carla Homolka, Don Cherry's suits, and the dismal record of the Leafs are reflective of the City of Toronto.

SGMM

Reaction score
Yup....that's some mighty powerful VC Kool-Aid....yikes indeed!!

moff40

Reaction score
2009 - Fans riot in LA after Lakers win.
2010 - Fans riot when the Tennesee Volunteers coach Lane Kiffin moves to USC.
2010 - Fans riot in San Francisco after a Giants win.

Following some of the logic in this thread, those riots reflect the mindset of all of LA, San Fransico, and the entire state of Tennessee... Come on, people! It's only a game!

SGMM

Reaction score
Nope....just the mindset of the jackass rioters in those cities....much like the mindset of the jackass rioters in Vancouver!!

PunkerJon

Reaction score
I'm not sure you catch what I'm saying Moff. Let me put it this way...

As a resident of particular city, you do represent that city. You may not necessarily represent in an official capacity like say the mayor, or even speak for the majority of the residents, but you do represent your city none the less. And when you do something that grabs the attention of the press and create a news story, good or bad, you are representing your city.

Sure there were rioters in SF after the Giants won the world series, and they represented the city of SF as well as Giants and their fans in a bad way. I'm 100% sure that the ones who were causing all the trouble were San Francisco residents and I'm 95% sure there was alcohol involved. But there were many folks walking around peacefully in high spirits, exchanging high fives and hugs with anyone wearing orange and black They represented in a good way, just not in a good ratings way. It was really quite amazing and EVERYONE it seemed was happy and cheerful. And this was the for the whole postseason, not just after the Series had been won, but obviously at that point it hit its peak and continued for some time after. That was a great night with many feel good stories and what gets the headlines? Drunken a-holes burning busses and causing mischief. They didn't represent me or many people I know, but they still represented.

I know it sucks that the news people run with the negative side, but thats what gets ratings and readers. I understand there were also many people that just went home, and some folks tried to stop the ones causing mischief. Those folks represented Vancouver in a good way, but sadly most people outside may never hear about them.

Latest Threads