2010 Junior Specs?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I found a good deal on a 2010 Junior, satin white, and I'm curious what the specs on these are. Specifically the pickup, fingerboard and neck profile.

I once owned a 2009 in sunburst. It had a slim neck and a rosewood board.

This 2010 (I've seen the serial # and 2010 stamp) has a very dark board. At first glance (pics via email) I thought it was ebony but I've since read that Gibson may have been using obeche around that time period? Some say a year or so later. Not a deal breaker by any means. Just curious.

I also read some claim the pickup is a P100, not a P90. Can anyone clarify that for certain?

endial

Reaction score
Not sure I can be of much help here, as far as specs go, but if you have a line on a "good deal for a Junior" my past experience has taught me to buy first, then sweat the deets. Especially if you're in the market for one. What you may not like on it will most certainly make someone else happy and often you can profit from it. Rock the p*ss out of it in the meantime.
A pup swap is easy as pie if it's a P-100. I'd also wager the neck is slim because Henry never wanted a non-Custom Shop Junior to be available to those of us who wanted beefy necks, and they were slim for.........ever.....
-I digress.
Also, it's doubtful the board is obeche because the rosewood "shortage" thing didn't really affect anything 'til 2011-12 (per the best of my recollection).

Edit: And after some reading, in 2010 the white Faded's came with ebony boards (!). Quoted from another forum site:
"I had a 2010 Jr. In 2010, the Jr was not available in a gloss finish, they were all faded models (other than Historic reissues). The fretboard on the white guitar was ebony, other colors (cherry and vintage sunburst) were rosewood. After the wood fiasco, the white models got black-dyed obeche boards, but that was not until well after 2010.

The neck was described as a '50s profile, but like others mentioned, it was the skinniest '50s I ever had. However, the profile was rounded and not flat. "

Good luck with your decision.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
@endial is 100% correct.
I clearly remember there was a run of Juniors in 2009/2010 which were actually called "1958 reissues", but not in a Custom Shop/historic reissue sense. They were supposed to have 50's neck profiles, and yes, for some reason the satin white ones came with ebony fretboards, and the cherry and sunburst versions had rosewood fretboards.

Last edited:

Jupper

Reaction score
I'd jump on that Junior if I were you. Those Satin White Juniors were pretty coveted back then.

As for the specs of that, you are correct on it being an Ebony board. All of the White guitars that Gibson were making before the wood raids had Ebony on them including Studios and Juniors as well.

For the pickup, it should come with a P90. All of the Gibson Juniors were outfitted with a P90. I think the only time I remember a P100 being used was when Epiphone released their 57 Reissue Juniors back then.

And lastly for the neck profile, I remember spec sheets saying it came with a "Rounded 50s" profile. Basically a hybrid between the Slim 60s and Fat 50s.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'd jump on that Junior if I were you. Those Satin White Juniors were pretty coveted back then.
You bet I did! :thumb:

Latest Threads