2009 Standard vs 2020 Classic

Omag

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but I have an urgent question. I'm looking into buying a second hand Les Paul - preferably an Epiphone.

Currently I own a 2021 Mexican Fender Strat, a Fender Baja Telecaster and a PRS Singlecul SE.

I always wanted a genuine Les Paul model and bought the PRS because over 10 years ago, there was a shortage of Epiphones in Belgium.

Now I'm looking for a plain top Les Paul, because I love them the best. My PRS has a flame top, but the 2 button design is to different from the classic look and the pickups are a bit to bright in order to give that classic Les Paul growl.

I would like to know which you woul prefer, quality wise.

A 2009 Standard Honey Burst compared to a 2020 Classic Honey Burst.

I'm following two offers at the moment, but It's a bit hard to judge if there is a lot of difference between the two. Alltough I read a lot that the newer Epi's would be of better quality than the earlier models.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

peobryant

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with older Epiphones, but my '20 Epiphone Les Paul (it is a '59) is much higher quality than my '06 Epiphone Les Paul. It seems Epiphone has really stepped their game up with the new "Inspired by Gibson" line of guitars. If it was me, and I couldn't play both guitars, I'd be much more interested in the '20 Classic.

pondcaster

Reaction score
I'd definitely go with the 2020 model, fwiw.

Welcome, too!

Omag

Reaction score
Thanks Peobryant. At this time, the Epi's are sold out everywhere, so it is hard to get my hands on them. On the other hand, I'm really looking into second hand and at a good price, so I can resell if it isn't my thing after all.

What do you mean exactly with higher quality? The fit and finnish? Better feeling when playing?

I am aware that we are talking mid range guitars (depending on budget of course :) ), and they are in the range I normally buy, so I kinda know what to expext

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I would get the 2020, Epiphone has really stepped up their game as far as overall quality compared to older ones. I know the newer Inspired by Gibson models are top notch, I have a few that are a better overall value than their Gibson counter parts. The feel/playability and tone is right up there with the Gibson models. I had a couple of older Epiphones in the past, and they were just not as nice as the 2020-2021.

rbraad68

Reaction score
The 50's 2020 standard is a beast of a guitar! I have modded the shit out of mine but even stock it was very playable. I got rid of all my pre 2020 epi's cept for one . go with the 2020/21 models epiphone is on a roll right now!! this is my 2020 standard. love this thing!!
50's gold top 765.jpg

Chriselp

Reaction score
I got the new classic honey burst plain too and out of all my nice guitars it gets more play time ! Great guitar !

rbraad68

Reaction score
oh we are talking about the 2020 classic not 2020 in genral.. totally my bad man. I picked one up last yr from GC for 229 bucks with a case. the guitar had been dropped and took a decent sized chunk out of the back of the guitar. they had epoxied it back in and sold the thing dirt cheap. I would have to say that even with the dammage i wouldn't ever consider getting rid of the thing. thing plays and sounds just as good as any of my higher end epi's. i would deff recomend a 2020 classic over an older model epi. mine has all gibson electronics and 490 pups in it. great guitar.here is a pic side by side with my 50s and slash standards....
road rash and slash.jpg
gold top n slas 01.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads