2009 LP Studio weight relief?

afireinside

Reaction score
This for the GC silverburst with ebony fretboard in particular. What type of WR was used? I cant find any specific info online

Attachments

Last edited:

Wrench66

Reaction score
My 2009 wine red studio is fully chambered. Not a lot of info about these online anymore.

Zentar

Reaction score
I don't know about being chambered but my 2009 Studio is shaped like a standard but has a thinner body. I assumed the thinner body was the way it was weight relieved. It only weighs a tad over 7 lbs. There has to be wood removed somewhere to be that light.
I don't remember ever reading back then that it was chambered. Maybe it was but being a third of an inch thinner than the Standard could easily account for the light weight.

EditL I just measured.

A standard and the Classic are 2" thick.
The 2009 Studio is 1/4 inch thinner. You don't notice that it's thinner.

I think Gibson experimented with many methods to lower guitar weight so that you don't readily notice any difference between models. Gibson also designed LP shaped lite models that looked obviously thinner but people didn't like the extremely thin LP models.

Last edited:

tzd

Reaction score
I believe it’s chambered. Should be pretty obvious once you hold it in your hands - body feels lighter than usual, and neck heavy.

afireinside

Reaction score
Ok i snagged this 2009 ebony fretboard silverburst. Its pretty obvious its chambered super light. Not sure if i am a fan. The only chambered i had was a 2010 50s tribute p90 hated how it sounded. But the proof will be in playing it tomorrow when kids are awake!

afireinside

Reaction score
Any chance someone has a spare STUDIO truss rod cover? For some reason it has a ETune TRC lol

tzd

Reaction score
Pics! The cool thing about Silverburst Studio is that the Les Paul Model silkscreen on the headstock is in silver instead of gold.

Zentar

Reaction score
I believe it’s chambered. Should be pretty obvious once you hold it in your hands - body feels lighter than usual, and neck heavy.
If it's chambered then it has TWO types of weight relief: thinner body and chambered.

Zentar

Reaction score
There’s no way a slightly thinner body shaves off two to three pounds.
I wouldn't call it shaved. It's a 1/4" thick piece of Mahogany. It would weigh a little over a pound.and a half. It is a substantial, large and weighty piece of Mahagony.
It also utilizes a one piece body. The wider Mahogany trees are more porous and weigh less. If they threw in chambering then that isTHREE forms of weight relief that is invisable to the eye. Gibson made huge efforts to lighten LPs in ways that aren't easily detected visually. I had the guitar five years before I had it and my Standard both sitting on the bench for a string change before I noticed the Studio was much thinner than the Standard.
If my Studio and Standard were sitting on their stands side by side you would not notice one was much thinner than the other.

scozz

Reaction score
Pics! The cool thing about Silverburst Studio is that the Les Paul Model silkscreen on the headstock is in silver instead of gold.
I did not know that! :thumb:

scozz

Reaction score
It seems these LP thicknesses are all over the place.

My 82 Custom is 1-7/8” thick,...1/8th of an inch shy of 2”.

My 06 Studio is 1-3/4” thick,....1/8th of an inch thinner than my Custom.

I’ve read somewhere that the thinner Studio body is taken from the maple top, not the mahogany body. The mahogany part of the guitar body is the same thickness as any other LP.

If this is true than that would explain some of the weight differential,..,.maple is heavier than mahogany.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems these LP thicknesses are all over the place.

My 82 Custom is 1-7/8” thick,...1/8th of an inch shy of 2”.

My 06 Studio is 1-3/4” thick,....1/8th of an inch thinner than my Custom.

I’ve read somewhere that the thinner Studio body is taken from the maple top, not the mahogany body. The mahogany part of the guitar body is the same thickness as any other LP.

If this is true than that would explain some of the weight differential,..,.maple is heavier than mahogany.
True dat @scozz..... Maple cap is thinner.... all Studios are thinner and have been since they started. Chambered since 2008 and later in 2012 they went Modern Weight relief like the Standards.... Prior to 2008 (i could be wrong though) they were 9 hole weight relief. Not really sure when they started Chambering Studios,.. could be earlier.

Last edited:

afireinside

Reaction score
Ill get pics in a bit. I dident notice a thinner body BUT may be slightly. Has some knocks on her and i found the neck pup is dead..... it is a set of Lace Bill Kelliher Dissonant aggressors. The owner said it had low neck output but had some wires not connected. (He dident know how to repair) I assumed a ground was off (it was) but pulled the pup and used a multimeter. Dead.... So I am trying to see if lace will work with me and their 5 year warranty. And filed a PP complaint since the guy has gone silent now. But the fretboard and neck are amazing. Frets are in great shape, super light resonate and bridge pup is great.

afireinside

Reaction score
Ok added pics. Now seller says we will reinburse me for pickups. So we shall see! And yes about 1/4" difference in thickness

afireinside

Reaction score
Ok so i found the most honest seller ever. Overly honest actually. Got back to me and said he would refund me to cover new pickups. One store id never heard of had a set $138 but we were leery. GC had them for $228. And i found a used bridge not neck for $70. And he just refunded $228 in full

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it shaved. It's a 1/4" thick piece of Mahogany. It would weigh a little over a pound.and a half. It is a substantial, large and weighty piece of Mahagony.
It also utilizes a one piece body. The wider Mahogany trees are more porous and weigh less. If they threw in chambering then that isTHREE forms of weight relief that is invisable to the eye. Gibson made huge efforts to lighten LPs in ways that aren't easily detected visually. I had the guitar five years before I had it and my Standard both sitting on the bench for a string change before I noticed the Studio was much thinner than the Standard.
If my Studio and Standard were sitting on their stands side by side you would not notice one was much thinner than the other.
That was my point, it’s not just a thinner body that makes it 2 or 3 pounds lighter.

Les Kiwi

Reaction score
Glad you got such an honest seller. It can be rare these days unfortunately.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a Studio at L&M that is obviously chambered, because it seems lighter than even my LP Melody Maker (thin LP body 7.2 lbs.)

Weight relief doesn't mean much if the wood is dense. A Tribute is also 1/4" thinner than a Standard, and my '13 Trib with traditional weight relief weighs 9.2 lbs.

Congrats to the OP, and happy pickin'!

grumphh

Reaction score
More people should be made aware of the fact that LPStudios made for a number of years are chambered (not just weight relieved, but essentially hollowed out).
Personally i never knew that until this year, when i bought a 2008 studio in the belief that "studios are like LP's* just without the bling"...

Well, it was neck heavy, and whether the lack of weight had anything to do with it or not, it completely lacked bottom end and had a shrill top end, took me 10 days of trying to adjust it until i sold it on...

* Yes, a "Les Paul" has a solid body, and is not a hollowed out mahogany shell with a maple cap...