2009 Burny RLG 105 VSB MIJ

Dave1968

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been looking at the Burny RLG 105 currently manufactured in Japan by Tokai. I have read enough off the net to recognise which is which e.g vintage Japanese to the lesser regarded current Chinese models (anything less than RLG 65's and 55's etc.)

I have trawled Japanese sites and got quite a good catalogue of companies willing to ship to the UK and good prices too. However, I cannot find anyone who has written a review of the RLG 105 VSB.. Has anyone got one who can give me a review???

I have seen another member on this forum who bought a 2004 RLG 90 model, he kindly left a youtube link:

Pretty good sound eh??

I've played many Gibson LP customs which have the unmistakeable tone but the playability has always let them down. (Perhaps my bad luck ith customs??) I love em but can't afford one. The Gibson Les Paul standards I adore and the playability has been 10 out of 10....same old story, £1800.00 I don't have.

I can raise £500 - £600 for a Burny 1980's (old renowned VH1 pups) or for the same money to buy a new Burny RLG 105 VSB (Newer VH1 pups that I expect in 10 years time will be regarded as one of the 21st century 'One's' to look out for) All the same if anyone can help with my enquiry I am more than grateful!!!

Cheers!!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

UITA

Reaction score
Dave I may well unload one of mine. PM me your email and I'll send you some more info.

Bes628

Reaction score
the only burny rlg 105 i have seen have been like 1,000 + in Euros. If i could find one for 5-600 euros i would grab

Dave1968

Reaction score
Dave I may well unload one of mine. PM me your email and I'll send you some more info.

Thanks, I've sent you a pm!

the only burny rlg 105 i have seen have been like 1,000 + in Euros. If i could find one for 5-600 euros i would grab

It wasn't a German site Lieb??? or something or other??? That seemed very overpriced for the Chinese models let alone the Japanese model.

Thanks for the reply! Thats what I was thinking myself but for no RLG 105reviews anywhere?? All I can find is "Get the new JP Burnys and steer clear of the Chinese or Korean models!"
The 80's models (VH1 pups) get fantastic reviews, I've not a read a bad thing yet! One went on ebay Uk for £485 inc postage last week. It'd be interesting to hear what the 2009 VH1's sound like (Nothing on youtube ..)

The current RLG 105 VSB retails from 65000 Jap Yen upwards without shipping. They seem plentiful in Japan as you would imagine and some on amazon.jp are cheaper but will not ship.

Cheers again!!

Dave

Bes628

Reaction score
It wasn't a German site Lieb??? or something or other??? That seemed very overpriced for the Chinese models let alone the Japanese model.

Thanks for the reply! Thats what I was thinking myself but for no RLG 105reviews anywhere?? All I can find is "Get the new JP Burnys and steer clear of the Chinese or Korean models!"
The 80's models (VH1 pups) get fantastic reviews, I've not a read a bad thing yet! One went on ebay Uk for £485 inc postage last week. It'd be interesting to hear what the 2009 VH1's sound like (Nothing on youtube ..)

The current RLG 105 VSB retails from 65000 Jap Yen upwards without shipping. They seem plentiful in Japan as you would imagine and some on amazon.jp are cheaper but will not ship.

Cheers again!!

Dave

yeah if i was going to spend 1K plus..than i would obviously just get the Gibson...so that kind of took away from the whole point.

here some pictures i found of one ...and here's a japanese sit you can find a few at

125684_b.gif

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

nwobhm

Reaction score
Is there a link to current Burny models or catalogue? I'd like to find out what model I have. I have 7 Burny's most early-mid 80's. I have a 2003 Burny Supergrade that was made in Japan at the Tokai factory with a nitro finish. It's got sheilding paint in the cavities so, I haven't checked to see if it's a veneer flametop or not. It has the newer version VH1's with the big VHI sticker on the bottom of the pups. They sound alot like 57' classics to me, real warm and round. There not bad but, not like the early 80's VH1's. It's a great sounding guitar,very resonant typical tokai build quality. I only changed the bridge pup for a Manlius Hot Rod 59' because it has better clarityand added Sprague Vitamin Q tone caps. Note the 2-screw truss rod cover.
P1010061.jpg
P1010056.jpg
P1010058.jpg
P1010057.jpg

nwobhm

Reaction score
As far as a review, I got it for about 650.00 us shipped from Japan. It sat for along time on Ebay, I think because it wasn't an older one, noone wanted to take a chance so, I bit the bullet and bought it and I'm not dissapointed. It's as good as any older Tokai or Burny I own, which is quite a few. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend a newer Japan made burny.

Hempdiddy

Reaction score
Hey Dave,

The 80's models (VH1 pups) get fantastic reviews, I've not a read a bad thing yet! One went on ebay Uk for £485 inc postage last week.

If your talking about this guitar, then I am the winning bidder and the guitar arrived last week. It's a 1988 Burny Custom with the VH-1 pups. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out.

It is a great guitar.

Bes628

Reaction score
I asked one of the japanese sites about this model and I want to say that the total inclu shipping was around that $1000 mark. and the purchasing process was kind of crazy....I think I'm just going 2 save every penny I got and get me a Gibson if I'm already going to have to play 1K plus just to get a good equivalent anyways

Dave1968

Reaction score
Hi again!

Thanks for the replies, I've not had chance to get back on here..

Yeah ok, Ikebe got back in touch with me and wrote the following:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry.
We can sell them to overseas. but we can only accept to the bank transfer.
Please understand.
However, we cannot sell a following brand

Fender Japan/Gibson/Caparison/ESP(Edwards,Grassroots)/Zemites/Musicman/Rpland/KORG/YAMAHA
and Second-hands...

Please understand it. If you accept to our situation, could you contact ma again.
Thank you,

So all is well with Japan etc..

Is there a link to current Burny models or catalogue? I'd like to find out what model I have.

This is what I have found:

FERNANDES OFFICIAL WEB SITE

There are some catalogues on there too for earlier models etc. Oh and replacement parts too..VH1 modern replacement pup's. Check out the 'Vintage Clone Parts'!! Quite good if you can get past the Japanese..

Any chance of a video link to see the comparison of the newerBurny to the older ones??

If your talking about this guitar, then I am the winning bidder and the guitar arrived last week. It's a 1988 Burny Custom with the VH-1 pups. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out.

It is a great guitar.

That's nice!!! The one that went was:

FANTASTIC BURNY LES PAUL SUPER GRADE MADE IN JAPAN on eBay, also Gibson, Electric, Guitars, Musical Instruments (end time 11-Apr-09 13:15:31 BST)

I hope that still works!!

I asked one of the japanese sites about this model and I want to say that the total inclu shipping was around that $1000 mark. and the purchasing process was kind of crazy....I think I'm just going 2 save every penny I got and get me a Gibson if I'm already going to have to play 1K plus just to get a good equivalent anyways

Ikebe want 65000 Yen (£456.03 or $662.93) with shipping I can't see much more than £50.00 or $74.50. There are other sites who take Visa, Mastercard and other major cards so perhaps try your luck.

I've played alot of Gibsons and to be honest i've not overly been that impressed (customs in particular). Maybe I just don't have the luck when it comes to them??

I find Tokai's 80's version of the 62 reissue strat the best Strat i have ever played. Back in 87 I was asked if I minded to stop playing as they had shut the shop and wanted to go home. I never did buy it either... :-(

So in view of the Gibsons I have tried I'm not tempted. I have read many testimony's of the Burny Japanese golden era from players who have had good Gibsons but traded them for Burnys.

Gibson LP standards are going for approx £1200 to £1450 on ebay in the UK. I think thats too much plus I can't afford that either!!

Im going to keep watching and bide my time, thousands were made and there will be plenty forever around. I'm not sure what mind I am in. I guess I will try some older Burnys which I have access to and perhaps buy one of them.

Out of interest Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) plays Burny's. I read somewhere that he rates the newer models (I know he endorses them as Gibson wouldn't put his name on their Les Pauls). See thelink:

WORLD EXCLUSIVE! Steve plays Fernandes

Well, thanks again everyone for your posts!! I will update as I make my mind up!!

Cheers

Dave

Bes628

Reaction score
i cant speak for ikebe but another site i went to, they were like $790 in US currency an d shipping was like $175..which i wouldnt mind paying if i knew what i was getting. if i could put my hands on a model of it than maybe my mindset would be a little different but shelling out around 1K for something that rarely heard mention scares me.

nwobhm

Reaction score
Rarely heard mention? Fernandes is a big company, with alot of well known players, playing there guitars. Steve Hackett, Robert Frip, Neil Schon.

Bes628

Reaction score
I was talking about this particular model. but I think I'm going to go head a bite the bullet and nab one of these..

Bes628

Reaction score
trying to order one right now but i cant understand the language and google translator isnt working

Dave1968

Reaction score
As far as a review, I got it for about 650.00 us shipped from Japan. It sat for along time on Ebay, I think because it wasn't an older one, noone wanted to take a chance so, I bit the bullet and bought it and I'm not dissapointed. It's as good as any older Tokai or Burny I own, which is quite a few. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend a newer Japan made burny.

Sorry, I meant to say, it does look very nice!! What style neck is it, 50's, 60's etc?

trying to order one right now but i cant understand the language and google translator isnt working

Let me know how you get on and which shop you have found etc.

Many thanks!

nwobhm

Reaction score
It's definately round, 59' style but, really comfortable. It doesn't feel huge, like some 57' necks I've played. All the the guitars I've bought have mostly been through Ebay. I'm a risk taker!:fingersx: I'd like to try Rinkya, yahoo japan. There seems to be alot of deals there.

Latest Threads