2007 Fender Stratocaster ’62 Hot Rod Vintage Question

HJR

Reaction score
Hello all, someone suggested I post in this forum, so here goes.

So I have an opportunity to locally pick up a 2007 Fender Strat '62 Hot Rod as the title implies. I was all set to buy it when I noticed that the 12 fret markers have the narrower spacing. I told the seller I need time to research this as I was under the impression they had the wider spacing. So I have done that research, but I have only found a 2013 that appears to have the narrower spacing. So I am thinking that the neck maybe was changed at some point for some reason, but thought I would ask the experts here. So what do you all think? Here are the pics...

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

strayedstrater

Reaction score
The odd angles and flat lighting are messing with my head.

The dots look modern narrow but the angles may be tricking me. Almost looks like they're positioned in-between wide and narrow.

The decal looks like it's under the finish instead of on top, but the lighting may be tricking me.

The transition from fretboard to the face of the head looks off, but the angle may be tricking me.

Transition to the heel looks off, but again angle may be tricking me.

The neck finish gives me the thick yellow vibe of a Chinese fake, but could be the lighting.

It's possible a different set of pics would dispel all the doubts. But as is, I see several things that make me doubt its legitimacy.

Something about the body's forearm contour seems off, too.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
When Fender started the Reissue series, they had the close-spaced dots on the guitars, it was one of the things they got wrong on them, but I think they fixed the issue later. Maybe this guitar followed what Fender was doing on the reissues?. I don't remember what year they went to the wide spaced dots, though.
Al

HJR

Reaction score
The odd angles and flat lighting are messing with my head.

The dots look modern narrow but the angles may be tricking me. Almost looks like they're positioned in-between wide and narrow.

The decal looks like it's under the finish instead of on top, but the lighting may be tricking me.

The transition from fretboard to the face of the head looks off, but the angle may be tricking me.

Transition to the heel looks off, but again angle may be tricking me.

The neck finish gives me the thick yellow vibe of a Chinese fake, but could be the lighting.

It's possible a different set of pics would dispel all the doubts. But as is, I see several things that make me doubt its legitimacy.

Something about the body's forearm contour seems off, too.
Thanks for the feedback, MLP is a great place I saw it in person and they are definitely narrow. Rather than sitting under A and B strings, they are between the A & D and the G & B. In person, the finish looked like nitro and felt thin like nitro but not an expert on nitro Fenders. The neck pocket markings are what are throwing me. The neck says “hot rod” in an accurate looking style but the only hot rod model I have found on line with the narrow spacing is labeled a 2013. This is advertised and the neck plate serial seems to be a 2007. The body neck pocket marking seems to indicate a late 2006 body. So just seems all over the place.

HJR

Reaction score
When Fender started the Reissue series, they had the close-spaced dots on the guitars, it was one of the things they got wrong on them, but I think they fixed the issue later. Maybe this guitar followed what Fender was doing on the reissues?. I don't remember what year they went to the wide spaced dots, though.
Al
Good point Al, thanks. The hot rod model I believe dates from 2007 to 2014. All the 2007-2012 I’ve seen online seem to have the wide spacing. Only found one 2013 with the narrow spacing.

Latest Threads