2006 BFG overhaul

Berserker26

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and new to changing things on a guitar. I've got a gold BFG that I bought 2nd hand, the thing is ugly as hell but for some reason the look really does it for me. Having owned it for about a year now there are a few things I'm not happy with and want to change. Was hoping to get some help from this forum of Les Paul enthusiasts. I'm ready to go right over the thing as a bit of a project so no components are safe :)

One thing to note is the guy who had it before me took out the killswitch and put in a "master volume" where the traditional Les Paul pickup selector would be. So it has a master vol, then down in the 4 knob section it has 2 vol's, a master tone and the pickup selector.

First of all: Vision for the instrument - Rock and Roll/Hard Rock machine that I will use for my cover band.

Issues I have / want to change.

1 - The pots do not taper. It's full Volume......off. I would like to get some pots that taper off and clean up better. Suggestions?
2 - Tuning - the thing goes out of tune quite easily (G string in particular), anybody changed a nut on these things or can recommend a nut/locking tuners?
3 - Bridge pickup isn't anywhere near as loud as the P90 in the neck. Am also not overly in love with it either (stock BB3 I think). Thinking of putting a fishman fluence classic in the bridge. Maybe with no tone knob (have never touched one in 25 years of playing) and just have a volume and then the fluence voicing switch in the other Tone knob spot. Any ideas or guidance, can this be done?
4 - Anybody have thoughts on the neck P90 - have no experience with P90's, is this one considered to be ok or worth looking at aftermarket?
5 - Knobs are ugly, best places to by knobs? No idea what knobs fit what pots.
6 - Is it worth doing the jack if everything else is getting looked at?
7 - Aftermarket bridges/tailpieces - who makes the best versions of these?

Lots of questions I know - I'd appreciate any guidance from anybody as I'm an amatuer in this regard. Have also attached a photo of her 'before' picture :)

Attachments

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone will no doubt be along to counter some of what I say, but:

1 - CTS audio taper 500K pots are the standard recently, for volume or tone. Long shaft.
2 - Loosen the G string, pull it back and forth a few times in the slot, lube with pencil or lip balm
3 - Try adjusting pup height and/or pole piece height first
4 - There's nothing wrong wiih a Gibson P-90
5 - Original knobs are missing, they're supposed to be wood, plenty of places to get something you like. You'll want any knob for a fine spline, split shaft (like a CTS pot). Coarse spline is metric/imported, smooth shaft is usually Fender
6 - if it works, it's fine
7 - "Best" bridge/tailpiece is in the psychoacoustics of the listener :) I'll get flamed for that...

You have a nice, original BFG, aside from missing knobs and some electronic changes. I'd keep both pickups and the bridge/tailpiece, but go with your own aesthetic. Oh yeah, an original BFG has no truss rod cover.

Original knobs, if you're so inclined to have, look like this:

Last edited:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Short version: Keep the black hardware, it's cool. Have the nut properly cut and lubricated. Have the wiring redone proffesionally. Then try a different bridge humbucker if it's still not good.

Long version:

Keeping the "hard rock guitar" vibe in mind, my opinion on the matter:
1) There is a linear and a logaritmic potentiometer, you can google which one goes where to what effect.
2) Sounds like a nut issue, maybe not properly cut. Locking tuners on a non tremolo guitar are kinda pointless in my opinion when you have a proper nut and know how to properly string up a guitar.
3) Sounds like a wiring or pickupheight issue. The BB might be 4 conductor and if it's not wired correctly it might explain the weak sound. Does it still do the coilsplit correctly?
You can't replace it with the FIshman I think because it's an active pickup and those require 25k potentiometers (correct me when im wrong)
You could replace it, there's some other good options for hard rock and stuff but the BB especially if it has coil split is a really versatile humbucker.
You can't go too high output because it might not balance well with the p90.
If you change it, try find something with a black chrome cover, should go nicely in the overall theme of the guitar (check out bare knuckle for example)
What is it you dont like at this point?
4) Should be more than fine. Do you like the sound? How it behaves with higher gain? Then keep it or ditch it for something more modern.
5) Everything should fit, just find something you like. I'd go with something black to match the rest
6) Nah
7) Opinions opinions, everyone will have a different one, here is mine: the current hardware is more than fine, just keep it and spend the money on a different bridge pickup and have the wiring (re)done by someone who knows what he's doing.

If you're like me, and never use the tone controls all that much:
1 master volume, 1 master tone. Change the other two pots to a switch / pushpull knob: 1 coil split, 1 out phase. You'll be able to cover nearly every possible sound

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
I have an 08 ink blue BFG. I rewired it to 50's spec with RS super pots for the volume & used 2 of the stock pots for the tone & pio caps, I also used the stock 3 way switch & jack. I left the stock bridge & tail piece but used Faber inserts for the bridge with Faber thumb wheels. For the nut I just went over it with some nut files to make sure it was cut properly & clean. For the pickups I left the stock P90 which is a great sounding pickup & put a BK A5 Warpig in the bridge with a black ring
Screenshot_20200405-142943_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Best of luck never understood the makers of pots that just go LOUD or OFF why not just have a switch....cheap ones I guess.

Berserker26

Reaction score
For the pickups I left the stock P90 which is a great sounding pickup & put a BK A5 Warpig in the bridge with a black ring
How do you find the Warpig? What sort of music are you playing? I was thinking a Nailbomb as am keeping this in standard.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
How do you find the Warpig? What sort of music are you playing? I was thinking a Nailbomb as am keeping this in standard.
It has a balanced tone & sounds good with everything I play. I'm playing blues, blues rock, classic rock, a little country & jazz, old school metal & modern hard rock styles. Mostly original music these days. My favorite bridge pickup in a Paul is the BK Abraxas which I have 3 of so I wanted something different in this guitar.

Latest Threads