2005 Standard Faded. Refin or not?

leofender55

Reaction score
I've owned this Standard Faded for about 5 years. I love the tone of it (acoustically very nice) as well as the playability (dig the unfinished neck). But I got it in "well used" condition. Lots of nicks, dings, gouges, like a typical Faded that has been "well used". I've looked into having it refinished with an added bourbon burst finish. But the more I play and look at it, I'm undecided. It has a 50's style neck, the previous owner swapped out the truss rod cover for a Standard, but I have the original. The top is real nice and was told it is called a "Dove Tail" for the matched top near the bottom.

Looking for your thoughts. Thanks.
IMG_2043 (1).JPG
IMG_2039.JPG

Attachments

scozz

Reaction score
Are you considering a gloss finish, (ie more coats of nitrocellulose)?? Or is it just a different color, (bourbon burst) you’re interested in?

Either way, it seems to me the unique ‘dove tail’ grain pattern will remain.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The finish is very thin on these guitars which I think contributes to the tone they deliver.
I would expect some change with a refinish.
Not necessarily for the better.
Your mileage may vary.

vetteman

Reaction score
I think I might be tempted to do a spot repair on that big goober on the neck, but otherwise guys pay extra for fake relic damage. If it is honest play wear I would probably just leave the rest alone, even though the whole relic thing just isn't my bag.

duke_ford

Reaction score
The 2005 Faded I owned (for about a minute) didn't sound any different than my gloss Standards.

Normally, I like relic'ed guitars, but I'd refinish it.

bblooz

Reaction score
My vote is to leave as-is for sure. If you like the way it sounds and plays, who cares what it looks like. (besides, you can't even see what it looks like while playing it anyways!)

Gibsonrocknroll

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have two of the 2005 models with the 50's neck. They are my best playing and sounding guitars. They have some dings and marks on them but that adds to the mojo. I will never change the color or finish on these guitars. I would leave it along and go buy another les paul in bourbon burst.

stonevibe

Reaction score
Just play it fella, here is a pic my old one and I only ever polished it or played it (and took the odd pic or 10 of it...), no point redoing the whole finish, just get making some music, way more fun!

leofender55

Reaction score
Just play it fella, here is a pic my old one and I only ever polished it or played it (and took the odd pic or 10 of it...), no point redoing the whole finish, just get making some music, way more fun!

Thanks Stonevibe. The color on yours is real close to mine. I've seen fantastic tops on some of these which I why I got mine. You said you polished yours which is what I started to do a few weeks back. Mine was real dull and the polish brought out the flame but didn't go into the high gloss range, which I didn't want. I'm leaning towards keeping mine as is an enjoying it.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of darker bursts like Tobacco and Bourbon, and generally prefer them over lighter bursts, but I’d still leave this one alone. I might get that booger at the base of the neck fixed, but that’s about it. And/Or maybe spend the money you would spend on a refin, getting another darker burst too...then you’d have two! :D

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
I vote as is.
If you just feel the need to do something, go after it with some Virtuoso.
http://virtuosopolish.com/
Really good stuff!
I would definitely invest the time and energy into the Virtuoso before making a final decision.
If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, you haven't closed any doors on yourself.

Again, I vote as is. It's a beautiful thing.

herbalist

Reaction score
Another vote for leaving it as is and playing the snot out of it. Nice guitar.

Latest Threads