2005 Faded upgrade suggestion?

leofender55

Reaction score
I posted a pic of my newly acquired 2005 Standard Faded a few weeks back. These are truly unique LP's and I'm in the process of taking care of a few issues. Had the frets dressed, replaced the damaged bridge with a TonePros and general cleaning up.

It came with one cheapo tuning peg, so I'm looking to upgrade the whole set, but I'm not sure of what would be a direct replacement set. I'd like to avoid drilling new holes and would be happy keeping the original press-in bushings. It appears these came with the smaller size holes (8mm?). I prefer the ones I've seen with aged keystone buttons.

Other upgrades I'm considering: Aluminum tailpiece, PIO caps, cloth wire, and a pickup swap, maybe Duncan Antiquities.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Should be 10mm tuners holes on yours AFAIK, so you either look for Gibson/Kluson Deluxe type tuners to fit, or you can buy 8.8mm Klusons and the MB65N-L US adapter bushings, unless you already have some similar to those.

* WD Music Products - KLUSON® TRADITIONAL - 3+3 - PEARL SINGLE RING BTN - SINGLE LINE - NICKEL

I upgraded my Faded with a MartinSixStringCustoms 50's wiring harness and Wolfetone Legends pickups (MSSC 50's wiring harness and Wolfetone Legends), and couldn't be happier, but there are lots and lots of options on that front, so you'll have to make up your own mind eventually.

Also replaced the bridge and tailpiece with Faber hardware: Faber hardware upgrades

rikko

Reaction score
I wasn't fond of the snot-green plastic Klusons on my satin Studio,
So I went with the Gibson/Grover nickel keystones. No drilling.

LOVE THEM!

sc-closer

Reaction score
I had a pot crap out on me in my 2005 Standard Faded. I decided to change all of them out for CTS 500k pots. I measured the original Gibsons when I took them out. Not a one of them was over 250k! The new pots were an improvement. I also added the black bee caps and 50s wiring.

Mine came stock with a BB1 in the neck and a BB2 in the bridge. I love these pickups. And they sounded even better with good pots. Check to see if that is what you have in yours. If you have those, and still want to change them out, let me know I may like to buy the BB1 and BB2 off you. ;)

leofender55

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of the pot upgrade, it's on the short list. I believe the pups in my Faded are Burstbucker Pros, from what the previous owner told me. I notice a slight difference in those from my other Lesters, which both have Burstbuckers but it could be the guitar. If and when I do swap them I'll post them on MLP.

Left Paw

Reaction score
A good set of aftermarket tips can resolve the 'green' issue.

SLewis

Reaction score
Get a 50's wiring harness from a vendor here like Martin Six String Customs or Jonesy.
Any pickups on top of that upgrade will do you just fine. I like Seymour Duncan Antiquities, but there are also a ton of other options out there.

Swapped out all of the electronics on my 2011 faded studio, and it sounds a million times better.