2004 Standard to Historic 59 lookalike and Custombuckers, are they worth it?

Geronimo

Reaction score
Just a bit. I had the body beveled to the correct 20 degrees, middle pickup installed, ebony board with block markers (WITH nibs), waffle back tuners, custom headstock conversion, tortoise side markers.
What else . All for $1650.00, plus the $900 I paid for a 2007 USA 61 reissue with Maestro. I didn’t destroy an expensive or rare guitar and for $2550.00 I got a made to measure guitar that would have cost around 10k. So for me it worked out. I always wanted a Heather sg custom.
And a stinger!

Attachments

• D3B05780-863E-4D68-B9D1-14CB41831D86.jpeg
    D3B05780-863E-4D68-B9D1-14CB41831D86.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
It’s your guitar and if you already love it and don’t *feel* the pull toward RIs. Then save yourself the $ and mod away.

As others have said though (when it comes to pickups), best to avoid Custom Buckers, especially for the money. Good ones can be really good, but bad ones are, well... bad (and most are just kinda good but not great). And they are definitely not consistent, so you never know what you’ll get. I’ve owned 6 RIs with CBs in them, only 1 set of the 6 stayed in their respective guitars. That one set is outstanding, admittedly, but regardless... that’s not good odds!

Besides, there are many boutique pickups out there that A) are better (recognizing the subjectivity of that statement) and B) are way more consistent (objectively), and C) less expensive (objectively).

And I’d avoid A3 magnets if you’re into harder classic rock. A3s can can give a thinner/softer sounding attack that doesn’t lend itself that well (IMO) to the kind of music/bands you listed.

Good luck and have fun! :cheers:
Yeah, I think I am over the urge to buy Custombuckers, way to expensive for little difference, and yes, seems like a gamble. I am gonna check wiring, easy mod if need be, CHeers

Reaction score
You've said you wanted it to look better, so you've done that. You said you've wanted it to look better, so you've done that. What is it you actually want now? Where do you think it's lacking? You've said the BB's were a massive improvement, but do you still wish it sounded different or better?
Just like life there is always room for improvement lol. I think its a bit of OCD and wanting a 59 reissue without the funds but reading advice on this page just gonna leave Burstbuckers in for now.

Reaction score
View attachment 648335 its not just Australia that has that issue of three standards cost same as one R9, its the same in U.K.
I recently bought a standard and have done the following:
fitted aftermarket paf clones with real sandcast magnets and PE wire, german silver bases and M69 style rings, already had a abr style bridge. I really cannot hear much if any difference between it and my R0.
She is a beauty, what are Marshalls like in UK, here also going through the roof.

dubster82

Reaction score
Just like life there is always room for improvement lol. I think its a bit of OCD and wanting a 59 reissue without the funds but reading advice on this page just gonna leave Burstbuckers in for now.

Ah, so it's more FOMO (fear of missing out), unfortunately I don't think you'll ever lose that. It'll probably always be in your head, "what if the wood really is better", "what if the tenon really makes a difference". Try concentrating on what it really is you want out of it.

In another post you say you like the clarity of 57's but the balls of the buckers, so that's something to aim for, people can perhaps give better recommendations for that, though I'll ask do you play with pickup heights and pickup screw heights? A bit of playing around could get you closer to what you want, or maybe even swapping magnets?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite often in the 50s the Higher DCR was in the neck(Darker Pickup) and the Lower Wind( Brighter Pickup) in the Bridge.(like Jimmy Page)...There was no neck or bridge PAFs back then , there were just 'PAFs' and 2 random ones were allocated without thought...I actually prefer the 'unbalanced' set with the Darker PUP in the Neck and the Brighter PUP in the Bridge as it leads to 3 radically different sounds rather than the modern approach of trying to mitigate those differences..
Interesting to read. Of the four brands of after market pafs I have tried the ones that sound the best have a higher dcr reading on the neck, I was a bit like miffed when I saw that, the volume was noticeably louder than the bridge, I lowered height quite a bit to get the volume equal.

To add my other two cents worth, the price of an R9 in no way reflects how it sounds compared to a standard, the basic tone is the hog and maple, that combo, it has a signature, the same goes for the alder body and maple neck combo of a strat, with variations probably caused by wood density, tightness of neck pocket, etc. I cannot say if it’s the lighter wood used in my standard that makes it very similar to my R0 which is very slightly heavier (5 oz).

After two years+ of playing and reading/chatting with y’all on this and other sites I feel my truth is, anyone who takes the time to pick a standard or a tribute that sounds right to them is not missing out on that ‘tone’ by not having an R9. I really enjoy the ownership of a reissue, although it’s my standard I am playing daily at the moment.

Last edited:

Bryansamui

Reaction score
Interesting to read. Of the four brands of after market pafs I have tried the ones that sound the best have a higher dcr reading on the neck, I was a bit like miffed when I saw that, the volume was noticeably louder than the bridge, I lowered height quite a bit to get the volume equal.

To add my other two cents worth, the price of an R9 in no way reflects how it sounds compared to a standard, the basic tone is the hog and maple, that combo, it has a signature, the same goes for the alder body and maple neck combo of a strat, with variations probably caused by wood density, tightness of neck pocket, etc. I cannot say if it’s the lighter wood used in my standard that makes it very similar to my R0 which is very slightly heavier (5 oz).

After two years+ of playing and reading/chatting with y’all on this and other sites I feel my truth is, anyone who takes the time to pick a standard or a tribute that sounds right to them is not missing out on that ‘tone’ by not having an R9. I really enjoy the ownership of a reissue, although it’s my standard I am playing daily at the moment.
I was a Gibson Custom Shop Dealer in New Zealand..A Light Bulb moment for me was the day I installed a 1971 Stratocaster Pickup in a Gibson Les Paul and put that mongrel guitar into a Marshall Major I had( for a laugh really)..Well ,the Les Paul nailed Ritchie Blackmores Stratocaster tone far BETTER than any Strat in my shop..It was at that moment I realised that , that 71 pickup was the secret sauce...The wrong pickup in the "Right Guitar" won't do the Job, but in this case the 'correct' pickup in the wrong guitar created that tone..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah, so it's more FOMO (fear of missing out), unfortunately I don't think you'll ever lose that. It'll probably always be in your head, "what if the wood really is better", "what if the tenon really makes a difference". Try concentrating on what it really is you want out of it.

In another post you say you like the clarity of 57's but the balls of the buckers, so that's something to aim for, people can perhaps give better recommendations for that, though I'll ask do you play with pickup heights and pickup screw heights? A bit of playing around could get you closer to what you want, or maybe even swapping magnets?
Done a bit of height work with pickup, wanna learn a bit more about the screw heights, I think I am not doing something right.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
The only thing original on my 2005 standard faded tobacco burst is the body and neck. Same with my 2005 standard faded honey burst. They both have Gibson Classic 57/57 Plus.
4A2B8F0C-55C6-4278-8F4B-0E73DC55303F.jpeg
D2616AF6-D297-4542-9BD4-684C54B8D7FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only thing original on my 2005 standard faded tobacco burst is the body and neck. Same with my 2005 standard faded honey burst. They both have Gibson Classic 57/57 Plus.
View attachment 649424 View attachment 649425
I had Burstbucker Pros and shitty wiring, swapped whole wiring straight out of 2022 Standard 50s LP, massive improvement, went from wanting to sell guitar to no way I am selling :) and now since its aging nicely I thought do a vintage lookalike makeover. Looking good so far.

searswashere

Reaction score
OP - just start saving for an R9 IMO. Love the heck out of your standard - you'll still play it when you own an R9 ;).

Latest Threads